1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
If you go with this, let us know how it goes (pics, fit, etc). I'd like to do something very similar.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
None of my stuff is welded. If you build an exhaust system good and tight there should be no reason to weld anything. The only place I had welded was the downpipes to the new pipes, but everything back to the muffler and boomtubes is all clamped. I can have it all apart in probably less than 10 minutes if I want to. That's the way it should be.

If my truck was ever wrecked, I could hack off the two pipes at the downpipes, and cut all the rubber hangers and have the exhaust off right there. It wouldn't take long.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks BleedDodge...that's good to hear.

Was it difficult to remove the stock exhaust pipes?...did you have to saw them off or anything (can you tell I haven't done much under-truck work?). I'm learning stuff as I go...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm trying to remember how I did it. I bought the truck with stock exhaust, and when I brought it home, I hacksawed the tailpipe off, dropped that, then cut the pipe and muffler off behind the cat, and then torched the converter off. I know the truck ran around for weeks with just the converter on and when the decision was made to rip that off, there happened to be torches nearby so that's why I didn't hacksaw that part.

I ordered dual tailpipes, bought two boomtubes, and ordered a 2 in 2 out muffler. Had the pipes in front of the muffler custom cut and bent to match the downpipes from the motor, and got numerous clamps and hangers. The system is so solid it's not even funny. I see other guy's trucks with dual systems that shake and move all over the place and I can't understand. It's when stuff is loose that you'll break hangers, because everything is shaking as you drive down the road and it puts so much stress on everything.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like something I might be able to handle...with the ebay kit I'm looking at, I think I just need to cut from the muffler back...I'm hoping I don't have to mess with the stock cat.

Thanks for the info and advice, BleedDodge...I think when I get around to ordering this thing, I'll be getting a few extra clamps and hangers to make doubly sure I'm not bouncing around down there. This doesn't sound as scary as I was first thinking it would be...actually I'm thinking about sweet-talking the wife to letting me order this sooner now that I'm all fired up about it :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just an update to keep the thread going...I'll be ordering the exhaust system off of ebay hopefully within the next 2 weeks...I'll post pics and hopefully I'll be able to do a decent write-up for anyone all of those who want to do the same thing...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exhaust has been ordered! I picked one that comes with stainless steel tips, it was $190 with $47 for shipping. I'll be posting pics and what-not once I have it in my hands and install it

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
great price.

Anyone know if changing my pipes to 3" (they are 2 1/4 or so now) will make any diff or be worth it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
During my research on dodgetalk and a few other places, it seemed that the best upgrades to do was either a 3" single pipe, or 2.5" dual pipes. But I was looking up stuff with using a flowmaster muffler...I'm not sure if there would be much of a noticable difference if you are still going to use your stock muffler. I'm sure it would be louder, but I don't think there would be any kind of performance gains...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was looking at that as well; however, I just walking in from the local exhaust shops. The 3 I talked to here all quoted me less than that for a flow master 40 series single dual out exhaust. The highest one was $175.00. I think I'll go that route.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice...the muffler I'm just like the one you looked at, it seems to be one of the most popular (aside from a magnaflow) I can't wait to hear it on my truck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I have the system...I just need to put it on...probably this weekend if the weather holds up...no instructions though, but the concept seems simple enough so even I can do this...plus the ebay guys I got it from are very friendly and answer questions quick...Hopefully I'll ahve a decent write-up and pic come Tuesday...

·
Redneck Yankee
2,509 Posts
You do know you'll have to post a sound clip too. Pics only go so far when it comes to an exhaust. :D Can't wait to see it and hear it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Arrrgh...slight delay with the exhaust...I had a bad gasket when I replaced my t-stat with a hypertech 180 (a hell of a lot harder than the intructions led me to believe) Lost all my coolant and ended up warping the housing. Plus I started getting a gas smell from the back, and my sending unit and AC haven't worked on a long time, so since I had to take it to the shop for the coolant leaking, I decided to get all that crap done by them instead of me trying to do them all on my own. (attempting the t-stat kind of soured the fun of DIY for me). But I'll still be doing the exhaust myself this weekend as long as my big blue baby comes back in the next day or so...I'm determined to do at least one of these project successfully on my own.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright...finally got it installed over the weekend...although the pipes ended up being kind of long, so I'll have to trim them before I put on the magnaflow tips...but if the link works, heres the viddy I took of it (my wife is revving it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQ6_Z9-iCU

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick question about the tips...in the clip you can see that the pipes already go about a foot past the bumper. The tips I have are about 18-24 inches long and I want them to line up with the skull hitch cover (maybe go out about 5 inches past the bumper max.) Should I cut the pipes back far enough to have just enough room to attach the tips where I want them, or is it not too tacky to have the pipes go almost all the way to the end of the tips (kind of like useing the tips as "sleeves") I don't mind being a little tacky (note: I have stick on hood scoops...that's kind of tacky) But I don't want to look like a total dork to everyone who drives behind me...

Thanks!

·
Redneck Yankee
2,509 Posts
Sounds great, but I'm sure they sound even better in person. Camera's never do the sound any justice. If you sleeve it does it look like a sleeve or does it look like tips?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks wirenutt! And it does sound a lot better in person...the camera made it sounds kind of "tinny". I love how it feels under my seat! And it ended up being exactly the sound I wanted...a real nice growl when I hit the gas, but not too obnoxious. And once I get up to 45 or 50 mph you can barely notice it.

The tips without a doubt look like sleeves...I did a test fit to figure out how far I wanted them to stick out and if I have them exactly where I want them, the pipes stick out further than the tips, and if I have the tips on to where it doesn't look too "sleevish" it sticks out about a foot and an half if not more. I'm worried if they stick out too far, then if I ever get rearended it will slam my entire exhaust system forward and my cat will get shot out the front of the truck...

I'm thinking if I cut the pipes about an inch before the hitch bracket, the tips should fit good. It will take off a little over 2 feet or so. Would that be a good idea?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Need the write up on how it was done.

Any parts that need to be moved/Obstructions that were lost....ETC..????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.