Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
First time on the site and I'm hoping somebody can help me out on this.
I'm restoring a 78 Express, owned 22 years and been in the garage for about 18 of them. The Express has the usual rot under the battery, where the radiator support and wheel well meet.
I'm stripping a 89 D150 for the 318 witch is going in my 1988 Dakota, but thats a story for another time. The radiator support and wheel well look and awful lot the same. Does anybody know if the late item will fit in the early truck?
I'm not overly concerned about a difference of a couple hole or dimples. I'm looking to make this a nice showable driver. I need to know if the 89 stuff will fit/work under the skin of the 78.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
I'm going to guess that they would be close enough to make it work...
Maybe a bolt hole different here or there... I don't know for sure, but I'll bet some one else does... Eh, you can always get out the tape measure and start checking...
What I would be most concerned about is the headlight basket setup on the rad support. I'm assuming you 78' LRE has the quad headlights? The baskets/mounting/adjustment hardware is going to be a whole bunch different and it may be a real pain to switch all that stuff over....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bherder.
I just got done taking the 78 grill out. Looks like the support will bolt in but, like you said, there are a few small differences.
My truck has the round headlights, but that doesn't looks like it matters. The headlight adjusters are different, looks like you could get them to work with some cutting.
The major thing for me is the air inlet tubes, the 2 round holes in the support under the headlight. The 89 is quite smaller than the 78. Also theres a flange on the 78 thats not even on the 89.
Beyond that they look like it would work. Thanks again, Jim

·
Registered
601 Posts
What condition is the 89 grill??? If its in good shape just do a swap with the radiator support & grill!.... Just a thought ... Heres a 75 Crew Cab with a 91' Radiator support & grill !!!

The guy said it was a relatively "E-Z" swap!!!
I don't think it look to bad!!! :dunno:
Like I said!!! Just a thought!!!

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Mopower79 said:
What condition is the 89 grill??? If its in good shape just do a swap with the radiator support & grill!.... Just a thought ... Heres a 75 Crew Cab with a 91' Radiator support & grill !!!

The guy said it was a relatively "E-Z" swap!!!
I don't think it look to bad!!! :dunno:
Like I said!!! Just a thought!!!
Ummm.... It's a 'Lil' Red Express' .... Doing anything other than original ... (Or anything other than undetectable) Well, that would be like ... Like....
Let's just say it would be like putting a Chevy engine in a Roadrunner/Charger/Barracuda ... There are some things you just don't do... ;)

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
If it was anything other than a lil Red, I'd say try it, but I wouldn't hodge podge anything together on one of those, they are worth too much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a real nice truck!!
I just need the radiator support. 89 grille on a LRE? hmmm. I don't think so.
NOS? Sorry budget isn't that big (eBay 4 in Georgia $585 plus $95 shipping). NOS fender might be in the near future if the guy still has them.
The difference looks to be the air intakes under the headlights (different size), the headlight adjusters (size definitely, not sure about position) and theres a air intake for the computer on the drivers side.
A day with a welder and grinder and all of that could be fixed.
But for the big questions, WILL IT FIT? Sure looks like it to me. I want to try to get both on the ground next to each other and match that.
I'll keep everyone posted on how this comes about.
Comments?
Questions?
Just ask. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh also one more thing. The spindles are all the same. Truck. Van. Dakota. from atleast 1977 to 1990. They have the same part number from Mother Mopar. Lowered 78 Express anyone? But will the spoiler fit then? Have to work on that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.