DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had an 01 silverado with chevy's 4.3L v6 in it and I ran the E3's in it and it helped with fuel mileage by 2-3 mpg's so I was wondering if anybody has run them in their trucks and have they noticed a difference? I have a 99 with the 318 and am trying to get some more mpg's out of it I know that i won't get much but every little bit helps i just put new exaust on my truck and my cold air intake should be here in about a week? does anybody know of anything else i could do to help boost mileage?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I run the E3's and have seen a 1-2MPG increase. I didn't notice it right away. But afteri got my SCT tuner from hemifever here on dodgetalk it jumped. Something else I did was fixed my plenum gasket. Didn't think it could/would have made such a difference.... but it did. I would do that first even if it doesn't "need" to be done. Hughes sells a good kit or you can make one if you have the right tools.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I find it hard to believe that a certain brand of spark plug gave you a 2-3 mpg improvement. I have a 4.3 in a Blazer. Maybe replacing wore out plugs with new plugs would do it. If a certain brand of plug could do that kind of mileage improvement everybody including the manufactures would use them. That would improve the CAFE ratings real cheap for the manufactures. Every new car gets a 2-3 mpg jump.
I,m a retired mechanic & what I know is the only way to get any noticeable improvements out of computer vehicles is to be able to change the computer perimeters. Which is what the poster did with a SCT Tuner. That is where the mileage came from is my bet.
I have played with cold air intakes & exhaust on my Blazer 4x4 & my Jeep GC 5.9 Limited I keep very close records of gas & mileage & those items made them sound better which makes you feel like they are faster & but the truth is all I gained was a loss of low end torque on my Chevy. NO GAIN on my 5.9 Limited. I have also toyed with them with an 04 Trailblazer 4x4, 02 Dakota 4x4, & a 92 Ford Ranger 4x4.
There is an old saying that us oldtimers know well, more air in, more exhaust out, more gas used. If you ever get around tuners, guys that do flow work etc. you'll find out that these computer vehicles get more air intake with STOCK intakes & filters than they can use. If you opened the MASS AIR METER on a GM wide open even in WOT the vehicle would die because of too much air.

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
I switched to E3's a couple of years ago. They smoothed up the idle. With regard to mileage gain/loss, cant tell you. I have a heavy right foot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find it hard to believe that a certain brand of spark plug gave you a 2-3 mpg improvement. I have a 4.3 in a Blazer. Maybe replacing wore out plugs with new plugs would do it. If a certain brand of plug could do that kind of mileage improvement everybody including the manufactures would use them. That would improve the CAFE ratings real cheap for the manufactures. Every new car gets a 2-3 mpg jump.
I,m a retired mechanic & what I know is the only way to get any noticeable improvements out of computer vehicles is to be able to change the computer perimeters. Which is what the poster did with a SCT Tuner. That is where the mileage came from is my bet.
I have played with cold air intakes & exhaust on my Blazer 4x4 & my Jeep GC 5.9 Limited I keep very close records of gas & mileage & those items made them sound better which makes you feel like they are faster & but the truth is all I gained was a loss of low end torque on my Chevy. NO GAIN on my 5.9 Limited. I have also toyed with them with an 04 Trailblazer 4x4, 02 Dakota 4x4, & a 92 Ford Ranger 4x4.
There is an old saying that us oldtimers know well, more air in, more exhaust out, more gas used. If you ever get around tuners, guys that do flow work etc. you'll find out that these computer vehicles get more air intake with STOCK intakes & filters than they can use. If you opened the MASS AIR METER on a GM wide open even in WOT the vehicle would die because of too much air.
So a tuner is the best bet to go for fuel milage?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I switched to E3's a couple of years ago. They smoothed up the idle. With regard to mileage gain/loss, cant tell you. I have a heavy right foot.
Just new plugs will do that most of time.
:gr_patrio

·
Registered
124 Posts
So a tuner is the best bet to go for fuel milage?
That would be one of my choices. My wife's cousins boyfriend is a computer tech for a Dodge dealer in Nevada. He feels that the best way to go if you can or know a dealers computer tech guy is to have your computer flashed with the latest updates from Dodge. That is cheaper than a tuner but doesn't allow you to reset or change settings. He told me the other day when we were talking about tuners that he has seen some problems arise from using aftermarket tuners. But I'm not sure I completely agree. But he is a very good mechanic & is well respected in the dealership.
I have not invested in a tuner. I keep thinking I'm going to buy a SuperChip for my Jeep GC 5.9 Limited. I want to be able to run 87 octane vs 91. The superChip gives that option. But so does a Factory Flash from the dealership. I can have the computer flashed for about $90 from the dealership & have my friend do the work. So I'm undecided which way to go but I'm leaning toward the SuperChip just because I like to play.
I'm a firm believer that air intakes & exhaust are a waste of money & time, unless it is ready to be changed because a cat is plugged or muffler rotted out, then I will go aftermarket if I can.
I had a very bad experience with K&N Filters that could of cost me two engines.
It you want a aftermarket filter then AirRaid is the best IMO. But all that they did when I ran & tested various filter (Unofficially) was save money on buying paper filters because at the time in 04 the Trailblazer air filters were $30 for paper & I believe the AirRaid was $60.
I have a story if your interested in taking a few more minutes to read. I bought an old County truck that was a Forest Service truck when it began life. It was an 88 Dodge D250 360, 4 speed, 4:10 gears, 2wd, with 89,000 miles on it. I drove it 300 miles home & got 13.5 mpg @65 mph. Well when I got it home the exhaust was so so. I took it to the local muffler shop & had duals put on. Surely I can get the mileage up a little. Then the Q-Jet was leaking gas so I overhauled it & sealed the dashpots that were leaking. I put in a new air filter & tuned it up. Well all this should get me up to 15 mpg? NO it went from 13.5 to 10.5 mpg. What??? So I decided to change out the 4:10s for 3:55 gears. So I found a set on Ebay & bought & changed them out. This has to help right???? No then it went to 10 mpg where it stayed for a year until I sold it. So go figure that out. :crazy: Myself & a few of my mechanic buddies stood around many times scratching our you know what trying to figure it out. :ugh It has been over three years & we still joke about it. The joke really came to life when I bought this 99 2500 4x4 V-10 5 speed. I'm afraid to change out the dirty air filter because I can get 14 mpg at best now.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
14 MPG I am jealous my V10 sucks. I agree plugs should not have allowed fuel millage gains like that unless they were wore not firing correctly or efficiently then maybe but I don't see gains from one set of plugs to another. At not enough to have me run out and buy 10 dollar plugs for a V10.

·
Registered
124 Posts
14 MPG I am jealous my V10 sucks. I agree plugs should not have allowed fuel millage gains like that unless they were wore not firing correctly or efficiently then maybe but I don't see gains from one set of plugs to another. At not enough to have me run out and buy 10 dollar plugs for a V10.
The best I have got was 14.4 mpg running from San Jose CA to the Sierras. I believe my avg will be more in the 12s.
Pulling my 9000# travel trailer lets look at 6-7s.
But we didn't buy the V-10 for gas mileage, we have a Honda Civic for that. I'm real happy with the V-10 & the Dodge. It is a big step up from our 86 Ford 4x4 460/C-6. The Dodge is an economy/luxury truck in comparison.

·
Registered
211 Posts
before all you old grumpy pucker's flame me too much here. I'm NOT saying the spark plugs increased my mileage by themselves. I will agree the SCT made the biggest difference out of everything I've done so far. These particular plugs just happen to be what I'm running with my current setup.

When you go from 12.xx MPG DOWN TO 8.2 over the course of a month. It makes you think about WTF is going on and one of the first things I did WAS the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and coil which brought me back over 10MPG. Thats why I said I saw a 1-2 MPG increase just from the plugs.

After the plugs where installed was the plugged CAT and the blown out plenum gasket. Gave me all my pep back and took my up to 13.4 MPG. Then came the SCT which has my last tank at 15.2MPG.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Right I am not flaming if you change out a set of worn faulty fouled plugs then a millage increase is possible even to that extreme. WHat I am saying is one brand over another new plug will not cause those gains. When the OP is buying plugs for a V8 or V10 that can add up to quite a bit more and I was saying for what?

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Be very careful with the E3 plugs. They only lasted 500-miles in my truck and then I had all kinds of problems with missing and my mileage went south fast.

:imo ... E3's are crap

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Were's the rest of the ground electrode on plug 2? Look's to be missing some metal there. I run the stock champion's with zero issue's and i get 30k out of a 1.50 plug.

If you opened the MASS AIR METER on a GM wide open even in WOT the vehicle would die because of too much air.

How do you do this? There is no butterfly's or a linkage to open up on a mass air meter. As the name implies it only measures the mass of the incoming air flow. Just wondering because my brother in laws sister's boyfriend's uncle on his dad's side told me thats how a mass flow meter work's.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Were's the rest of the ground electrode on plug 2? Look's to be missing some metal there. I run the stock champion's with zero issue's and i get 30k out of a 1.50 plug.

We thought we had bigger problems and found the plugs like that when the heads were pulled. The engine had had cams installed just 500-miles before the heads were pulled so those plugs only have about 500-miles on them. With the heads off, everything was checked and nothing was found. My guess, it's pressed against the face of the catalytic converter.

Be my brain-fart didn't end there. I replaced the E3's with Bosch P4's! Again, the truck ran great for about 1000-miles and now I'm getting 6 to 8-mpg. I'm hoping to have those replaced with the stock truck plugs before the end of the month. I just pray I did hurt any of the coils.

:banghead:

·
Registered
124 Posts
before all you old grumpy pucker's flame me too much here. I'm NOT saying the spark plugs increased my mileage by themselves. I will agree the SCT made the biggest difference out of everything I've done so far. These particular plugs just happen to be what I'm running with my current setup.

When you go from 12.xx MPG DOWN TO 8.2 over the course of a month. It makes you think about WTF is going on and one of the first things I did WAS the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and coil which brought me back over 10MPG. Thats why I said I saw a 1-2 MPG increase just from the plugs.

After the plugs where installed was the plugged CAT and the blown out plenum gasket. Gave me all my pep back and took my up to 13.4 MPG. Then came the SCT which has my last tank at 15.2MPG.
You might of answered a question I was going to ask. Are you running a stock V-10? What trans? What year? 2 or 4 wheel drive?
I want to know what the real figures are if I was to add a SCT Tuner to my 99 2500 4x4 V-10 5 speed 3:54 gears.
So you are telling me you are seeing a real 2-3 mpg with just a SCT tuner.
Again I'm asking before I buy I would like to get REAL figures from you guys running that tuner. I'm having a hard time getting consistent mileage figures because I live in the mountains & it is all up or down or both from 4000 to 8000 ft. of elevation
I believe I agreed with replacing wore out plugs could do that in an earlier post. But as stated by Big Green V10 I'm with him all the way on this subject so far.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Those plugs look very similar to the SA Fire injectors that J.C. Whitney sold 30 or 40 years ago.
:gr_patrio

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
ill stick with the champion plugs... with the JACOBS ignition i can get 20k from a 1.88 plug.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.