DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've got my schematic done for the E-fan swap.

I plan on using a Taurus fan on low speed normally with the ability to turn on the high speed side with a switch in the cab. I'm using a Hayden 3651 to run the low speed. I'll be using a 5 pin relay to disconnect the low speed during high speed use and activate a high current Stinger contactor.

This is what I have so far:

What do you think?

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
so yours won't cut off with the truck?
or am i missing something?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Then thatll work fine.

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
Very nice.

1st, your using a Ground based switch. Many people do not understand the safety or concept of using Ground Based Switching instead of positive based switches.

2nd, Your design insures that "BOTH" the High and LOW will never get power at the same time. Also many will inherently design that flaw in, and not give it a second thought, till one of the lines melts.

3'rd, the Dual fuse design will allow the fan to spin, even if one pop's.

The overall design is simple, so troubleshooting it in the future should be simple.

Here is what I used to run. I have re designed the whole setup recently. the new wiring is super simple, and reliable. I'll draw a new diagram later...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an '06. It has a mechanical clutch fan. I'll be taking it off and installing an electric fan.

The fan controller turns off and on based on water temperature but it only controls one fan. The Taurus fan has two inputs, a low and a high. The Hayden fan controller cannot sustain the current that is drawn by the high speed side of the fan so I'll be using the fan controller with the low side and a high current relay controlled by a switch with the high side. However they cannot be on simultaneously or something will burn up, probably the fan. The unmarked relay in the middle of the schematic is there to both activate the 80A Stinger contactor for the high side as well as break the supply side of the Hayden fan controller to turn off the low side. If I didn't need to exclusively use high or low I could have just ran the cab switch to the stinger directly.

I hope that answers your question. I'm not sure exactly why you were asking it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad you got that simplified....it makes my head hurt just looking at it and I'm in electronics engineering!! :D

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
I have an '06. It has a mechanical clutch fan. I'll be taking it off and installing an electric fan.

The fan controller turns off and on based on water temperature but it only controls one fan. The Taurus fan has two inputs, a low and a high. The Hayden fan controller cannot sustain the current that is drawn by the high speed side of the fan so I'll be using the fan controller with the low side and a high current relay controlled by a switch with the high side. However they cannot be on simultaneously or something will burn up, probably the fan. The unmarked relay in the middle of the schematic is there to both activate the 80A Stinger contactor for the high side as well as break the supply side of the Hayden fan controller to turn off the low side. If I didn't need to exclusively use high or low I could have just ran the cab switch to the stinger directly.

I hope that answers your question. I'm not sure exactly why you were asking it.

Humm, I was not asking a question, I was just telling you, your design is good. You configured it to only power one side of the fan (High or Low). And you used a Ground based switch, good.

I like it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

I was replying to Matthet. My reply to you was the reply about simplifying your old design.

BTW - How did you set up your fuses and what type did you use?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ramman, let me know when your diagram is done, I just bought my e-fan looking to mod it within the next few weekends and a diagram would be great. And where are you guys getting your controllers?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Little Harry - Steal away, but if I were you I'd wait until we see if it works. lol

@Cali - I got my Hayden 3651 locally at Oreilly's. I think I paid $39.

·
Registered
570 Posts
subscribed...great another mod that I have been thinking about before the last one is complete. Dang you all DT..lol

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
Thanks.

I was replying to Matthet. My reply to you was the reply about simplifying your old design.

BTW - How did you set up your fuses and what type did you use?
i was just asking if you were planning on tying it into an ignition source so you didn't have to switch it off when you cut the truck off

i have mine running basically the same way, except one speed, using a high amp relay, a ground based switch, and a thermocouple with a variable resistor to cut it on when the temp gets high enough
but i have to manually cut it on and off at start up and shutdown. i've wired a gremlin in there somehow, because when i tried changing the power source to an ignition source, it still cut on when the truck is off.
really want to remedy that
it gets annoying when you look down at your temp gauge and realize it's creeping up because you didn't cut your fan on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.