DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my dhm e-cut out and i have a flowmaster 40 series but would it be better to just put my factory exhaust on so i can go from quiet to loud instead of always having exhaust noise. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
How loud is your Flowmaster? If you like the sound, then leave it. If your wife/kids dont like the noise, then go back to stock exhaust and open the cutout when you are driving by yourself.

I personally like a little noise, so I would keep the 40 series.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No kids or wife but I would like to have a stealth set up. I would like to pull up and make people wonder where that noise came from but I am wondering if the flow 40 makes a difference in sound compared to the factory exhaust when the cut out is open. Hope that makes sense

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
josecuervo62000 said:
No kids or wife but I would like to have a stealth set up. I would like to pull up and make people wonder where that noise came from but I am wondering if the flow 40 makes a difference in sound compared to the factory exhaust when the cut out is open. Hope that makes sense
With the cutout open, it wont make any noticable difference in sound no matter which muffler you are running. If you want stealth, then definately go back to the stock muffler. I have a feeling that you wont be closing that cutout very often though ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your right i do keep it open most of the time now but when i take long trips i like to close it to get ride of the noise in the cab. but i am probably going to put the factory back on and give the flow to my bro

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i run the stock muffler with a cutout set up. the look on peoples faces is priceless when i role up quiet and leave with a roar. i hate the noise when im towing and id rather it be quiet as possible on some of my 2 hour towing trips so i can talk on the phone etc... un hook the trailer and all hell breaks loose. you'll love the ability to go from extremely loud to the exact opposite of the spectrum. friends just say "damn thats F*ckin sweet" when they hear the contrast. :D

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
thats how i have my set up. and i wish i would have done this from the begining... and all the cars around are like wtf we i close it or open it

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
its funny cause there is a HUGE power loss when i put the stock muffler back on. but i get it all back with the cut out

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
hell ya falls on its face up top. i like knowing im adding or taking away 10-15 whp. at least im god of something! :D

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
My setup is like that with the coutout before the stock muffler, stock exit with resonator.
The factory muffler is highly restrictive though and kills top end although it really ramps up launch torque with the cutout closed.
One of them Aero Turbine Stealth 170's might be a good option.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
yeah, it would be cool to have a stealthy set up...but i leave mine open all the time so it doesnt really matter lol. the only time i close it is if i leave to go somewhere late at night. that way i dont wake my neighbors up if they are sleeping.

·
Registered
778 Posts
i got stock muffler and an e-cutout , its awesome

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have an AT3030 in the place of he stock muffler and the first res. removed with a cutout upfront. Sounds sweet both ways but its hardly ever closed. The only thing i dont like is the fact that my cutout doesnt make much of a sound when im stopped at a light. I can barely hear it until i hit the gas. Is everyone elses like this as well? I hear camaros around college station that are just ridiculously loud all the time, even sitting at idle. How are they managing to get so much louder? But ya its pretty cool being able to switch between loud and relativley quite at the flip of a switch. I blew past a ricer p.o.s earlier today with the cutout open and got stopped by the light ahead of us. He had his windows down when i past him with his shit music playing. When he pulled up all his windows were up haha. Great fun. It actually gets a lot louder at slow speeds when the MDS kicks in.

Mike

·
Getting my life back!
945 Posts
ya i run mine with the factory muffler. it's awesome to see peoples faces when you turn it on at a red light and rev it up. i love loud exhaust but it does get on my nerves after a while so this is perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
i've been thinking about e-cutouts for a while.
is it just stupid loud when it's open?

that's what i've been worried about.
how much louder is it than flow 40s.
i had flowmaster 50 SUV muffler on my dakota 4.7 and that was a nice comprise of quiet but powerful sound.
how much louder will it be than that setup or than the much louder 40s?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i dont find its THAT much louder....it just gives it more rumble and a more intimidating sound over a super 40, i find my super 40 is kind of high pitched compared to cutout open

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
how much are they and which ones do you guys prefer.
i want reliabilty and also when i close the thing i want there to be no sound leaks.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
i think it is crazy loud! thats why i have the factory muffler. i love it. but it takes awhile to get used to.

get the dhm ones. i dont remember what the prices are. but they have unbeatable servise!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.