Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 MegaCab 2wd
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just finished installing my E-cut from DMH. The wiring went great mounted the swtich and everything works great except that my DMH will not open at all. Its STUCK!!!!! Its a great way to shoot down an all day excitment.

I ordered the 3"E-cut since I have the hemi and selected the flowtech single race ready pipe.

I think I might of gotten the wrong flowtech race ready pipe cause the butterfly door will not open.
I unbolted the e-cut from the flowtech and flicked the swtich and perfect it opens no problem at all. Take a look at the pics and please suggest how i can fix this. THanks

TAma

·
Registered
837 Posts
damn wish I could help

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If it functions off the truck. That is telling me your flange is warped and binding up the butterfly. Or,,, the direction it's opening,, the butterfly is hitting the flange??

·
Registered
23,004 Posts
Hmm, mine went on with no hitch. Try rotating the cut out a bit (twisting it) see if its an alignment issue. Perhaps the opening is tweaked in one spot. Are there any rough edges on the lip that make contact, keep it from opening all the way. Also, are you pressing the button for it to open the right direction. :D

·
BLACK
1,343 Posts
When you are installing the DMH onto the flowtech are going around the three bolts tightening each a little at a time? If you are overtightening one with the other two bolts still loose you could be distorting the housing of the DMH and causing the valve not to open. This is just a guess because mine went one in a snap without any issues like this.

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
also try opening the cutout and installing it wiht the coutout open and see if it will bolt up. it might be that the y pipce is too small. (2.5in in a 3 in box)

·
BLACK
1,343 Posts
I don't think the DMH would bolt up to the flowtech if the flowtech was a 2.5" and the DMH was a 3". You could always contact DMH directly. The guy who works there in customer service is apparantly very helpful and knows his product. When my wife ordered my cutout for Christmas she talked to him on the phone and he set her up with everything that was needed to install it.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Dang neither of those really look like 3".
If it's close and hitting you might be able to grind (chamfer) the ID of the pipe to clear, or put one or 2 copper gaskets behind it and enlarge the opening in those to clear.
if it's warped loosening the screws would should free it up but I can't think of a good easy way to flatten it.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The same thing happened to me.

1. have someone opening and closing it when you are about to install it.

2. Slide it on, make sure they are opening and closing it all the way through the install

3. Get all three nuts on there and slowly tighten them equally

4. Whenever it binds loosen that nut back to where it was and tighten a different one until all of those cause it to bind and get stuck and you have backed them all of to just about where it will bind.

Hope these instructions help. Just make sure that it is being opened and closed the whole time you are putting it on.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Some good advice guys.
Different manufactures will have a diiferent allowable variance in pipe sizes and gasket material.
You need to make sure you back and forth across the flange when your installing this unit.
I have no issues with mine and I love it.

A second person would be helpfull in doing the trouble shooting also.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
The same thing happened to me.

1. have someone opening and closing it when you are about to install it.

2. Slide it on, make sure they are opening and closing it all the way through the install

3. Get all three nuts on there and slowly tighten them equally

4. Whenever it binds loosen that nut back to where it was and tighten a different one until all of those cause it to bind and get stuck and you have backed them all of to just about where it will bind.

Hope these instructions help. Just make sure that it is being opened and closed the whole time you are putting it on.
EXACTLY what i did

·
Vroom, psssst
3,055 Posts
I had the same problem except my bolts were welded crooked into the flowtech... And my cutout was stuck. Once i grinded out the old bolts i got it installed, still stuck. When you put it on, open the butterfly valve and make sure the thing is perfectly centered on the flowtech. If its not perfectly center it'll stick. Every once in a blue moon mine will stick. And also you cant really tighten it down super tight, so when ur tightening keep getting up to make sure it works before you tighten more.

Hope this helps

Austin

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
And also you cant really tighten it down super tight, so when ur tightening keep getting up to make sure it works before you tighten more.

Hope this helps

Austin
man i must have gotten lucky then, i cranked the crap out of mine and the have worked just fine. i put all my strengh into it and made sure that they were not going to loosen up. because i hate leaks.

·
Banned
756 Posts
i just bolted mine up no problem BUT of course i used the more expensive dynatech tube which had a large opening i had no problems at all i would say its hitting inside for sure!!!
whats that black welded bead or rtv up there the left?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Yeah, that looks like a Ypipe or gasket issue... I mounted my motor on the top, so if it got water or anything in it, it would run off... I dont like stuff hanging down

·
Vroom, psssst
3,055 Posts
I had to buy 2 gaskets from discount and stack them to get mine to clear. I wasnt too impressed with the fitment of the thing. For that money it should work perfect, not require grinding and trial and error..

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
Dave (owner of DMH) told me one time that if this happens the bolts are probably too tight, just what the above posts mention.
How is it now?
You might have to call DMH more than once to get through. I'll help if I can but that should fix it. If not let DMH or who you bought it from know.

·
Sold the Hemi -05/17/2011
1,020 Posts
How big is the stock pipe on a 04 hemi RC? When I took the flowtech tube to the exhaust shop he said it was too big for my pipe and that he would have to use reducers?...to make it fit properly. I ordered the dmh 3 inch as well. He said he'd do it for about $70, I didn't get it done because I wanted to make sure he was right or what.....it's suppose to go after the cat and before the big muffler correct?

·
6.1 FTW
2,307 Posts
I agree with loosening up the bolts some. I need to check mine - it's jammed somehow right now. Will not close. It goes from 100% open to about 90% open and then sticks. Probably have melted cat stuck in it...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.