·
Registered
1,119 Posts
yeah i saw that one as well seems to be a pretty cool idea

·
mope
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
nope ditched the cat, did a DI DO magnaflow dont know part number ive been doing some part time work at a local exhaust shop off and on and it came off a different truck. couldnt stand the drone or sound of the cherry bomb extreme. exhaust is dumped too

I like the dumped thing as of late. Do you remember about how long the case is on your muffler?

·
mope
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i am running ultraflow ss 6" round case muffler. I went with the round case because it eliminates the tin-ny sound that you get that sounds like a hollowed out converter. Thats what i cant stand about flowmasters. I absolutely love the sound im getting. I have a 3" muffler that i put a y on after with dual tails out the back and it is def loud. Cab noise is there no doubt, but its not bad and doesnt bother me. I do get some drone i seem to notice more at 45mph than at highway. I dont know of many mufflers that are performance and wouldnt drone at some point. I dont think you will be unhappy with this muffler, but would say go with superturbo if you dont like it too loud

I don't mind if it's loud, it's just the drone I really don't like. That's some good info on the round vs oval because the tin-ny sound is what I am tired of hearing. I do like the sound of the mufflers with packing in them.

·
mope
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What about the new ultra-flo that dynomax has out now? At least I guess it's new, I just saw it in my last summit racing book. The ultra-flo VT(valve technology). Was wondering about this muffler myself. First half of the muffler is perforated tube with packing and second half contains the valve that opens up on acceleration.
The only review I've stumbled across on this one is that the flappers kind of clunged open and closed. The guy was running them on a relatively small (gm 6.0) engine with true dual 3 inch exhaust all the way. Maybe there wasn't enough "flow" there to make them operate correctly. I do like the idea of them however. Wish someone would try one!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

·
mope
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The only review I've stumbled across on this one is that the flappers kind of clunged open and closed. The guy was running them on a relatively small (gm 6.0) engine with true dual 3 inch exhaust all the way. Maybe there wasn't enough "flow" there to make them operate correctly. I do like the idea of them however. Wish someone would try one!
That's what I've been wondering...how much flow does it take to operate the valve correctly. And yea...I wish someone would try one and post a sound clip!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
i would say you'd be fine if you have just the one muffler. True duals probably wouldnt work to well, but there is quite a bit of pressure created with a slap of the throttle. You can buy Y pipes from summit for 30 bucks for after the muffler. Thats all i did

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
and i found a muffler shop that sells the dual tailpipes on ebay. I bought my tails for 110 shipped which i thought was reasonable. The bends arent mandrel they are crinkled but there arent any that are that sharp of a bend. The worked great. I had to heat 1 up and bend it to get it right but was easily done. My whole exhaust was pieced together by me. I went back to before the cat where its 3" bought a 3" cat and a made the 3" go until the muffler. Had to weld in an o2 sensor bung for after cat.

I just didnt like the 3" reduced to 2 1/2 then back to a big tailpipe on the stock setup didnt make sense

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Well fellas' I guess I'll be the guinea pig. The spring in this thing seems to have a decent amount of tension. Dynomax has a 90 day money back deal right now if you don't like the sound or the performance. So I figured what the heck. Hope to get it done sometime this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
i would have thought the intake is where the valve would have been and not the exhaust end. Seems kind of weird to me. Only prob with that is that you'll have the throttle to the floor all the time to make it rip. Only prob with that is the gas gauge.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Ok the verdict is in...put the muffler on tonight and...well,have to say I was disappointed. I was really hoping it would be a little louder than it was but, it's really mellow until you mash it. I'm already running a 14" ultra-flo and it's alot louder at idle and light throttle. So I guess it will be goin' back on tomorrow night. This VT muffler would be perfect for someone that wanted the sound of a super turbo at idle and light throttle, but that wide open sound at WOT. Guess I figured the muffler only being 1/2 perforated tube with packing and the second half being a straight pipe with valve would have been louder but, chock it up to lesson learned.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
loud is easy and cheap! some of us look for hush power.

·
mope
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok the verdict is in...put the muffler on tonight and...well,have to say I was disappointed. I was really hoping it would be a little louder than it was but, it's really mellow until you mash it. I'm already running a 14" ultra-flo and it's alot louder at idle and light throttle. So I guess it will be goin' back on tomorrow night. This VT muffler would be perfect for someone that wanted the sound of a super turbo at idle and light throttle, but that wide open sound at WOT. Guess I figured the muffler only being 1/2 perforated tube with packing and the second half being a straight pipe with valve would have been louder but, chock it up to lesson learned.

Thanks for the review on this. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Are you running a cat? I'm thinking I'm almost ready for the sound you described above. I don't drive the truck much anymore except if I'm towing something, and all the noise sometimes gets old. I haven't heard a super turbo, so I don't know for sure.
Did you get any drone with it? You running tailpipe/s?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Thanks for the review on this. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Are you running a cat? I'm thinking I'm almost ready for the sound you described above. I don't drive the truck much anymore except if I'm towing something, and all the noise sometimes gets old. I haven't heard a super turbo, so I don't know for sure.
Did you get any drone with it? You running tailpipe/s?
I am running a cat, it's a hi-flo magnaflow cat and no there was no drone and I'm running a 4" dump(no tailpipe). Wish I had known you were interested, I just sent it back a couple days ago.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.