Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo,

I am new to this forum. My name is Dejan and i live in Holland. I have a Dodge B300 '77 with a 318. My question is, has anybody had any experience
with the headers from Dynomax? Are these relatively easy to install and what about the quality?

Reactions are very much appreciated. Thanx in advance.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I would use 360 manifolds.. A few years ago I read a test in a magazine and they had a better torque curve than 4 into 1 headers on a 318 engine with a RV (mild) cam and stock heads.
The only headers that had a better torque curve were 2 into 2 into 1 headers made by Doug Thorley.
The 4 into 1 headers had better power in the 4000-5000 rpm range only and lost power below 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The only headers that had a better torque curve were 2 into 2 into 1 headers made by Doug Thorley.

Known as tri Y headers. :gr_patrio

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Thats right, Tri-y headers. The type also used on Shelby GT-350 Mustangs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thank you for your responses. This van is a 2bbl. I thought the best way was to go 4bbl (Eddy or Holley 600 cfm) + Eddy perf.intake + headers with dual exhaust?

Regards,

Dejan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I have also another question. I have now a set of 302 swirl port heads from 85-91.
These have 1.78/1.50 valves. I would like to know what the best combo is. Is stepping up to 1.88/1.60 valves better combo for torque?

For the good order, this would be the complete combo:

Stock 318 bottom end
Set 302 swirl port heads 1.88/1.60 or stock 1.78/.150 cleaned up
Edelbrock performer intake + Edelbrock 600 cfm
Dual exhaust with stock manifolds or 360 manifolds
Comp Cams XE250H Duration .250 int .260 ex/Dur @.050; .206 in .212 ex/ Lift .432 in. .444 ex

Many thanks in advance

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
REALLY??? Less torque with headers???? Huh. I just bought a set of Hooker Super Comps for my 318.

On the Dynomax'es, I had a set of their headers on my 89 Diplomat; fit good no hammer needed, ceramic coated, (don't remember the number its been a few years) the biggest trouble?? I have the ones that fit "all" Mopar cars with 318 or 360. that car was a thirsty underpowered pig anyway no matter what I did with it (I think I shoulda done a total overhaul on that motor; it was tired) but when I put the headers on, it took a damn little dip in the road, to make them scrape the ground; they were a scraped up scrunched up MESS. and this being an ex squad car, its susp was stiff already and I stiffened it further and they still hit. I could R&R the starter with them on the car w/o pulling the header and had plenty of oil filter clearance on the other side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To Volaredon:

Good evening,

What is your experience with the Hookers? I am just in a fase now of deciding what is the best for my Van. Headers are expensive here and i need info on making a torque engine. Torque is the most important for me as gas prices in Europe are horror (7 to 9 dollar a gallon)

Best regards

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
I don't have any experience with these headers yet, as I just bought them at a swap meet 4 days ago, and have not had time to put them on. This is the 1st set of THIS BRAND of headers I've ever bought, but they are well regarded.
On a van though, I cannot see ANY fitment problems though, as long as you get the right ones FOR a van; as it is SO wide open in there underneath as far as access to install them. (and when you pull the doghouse inside the van it oughtta be almost as easy as putting headers on an engine that's still mounted to a stand!!!)
A lotta people b*tch about working on an engine in a full sized van but for me they are so much easier than a front wheel drive minivan, it isn't funny!
but I got these headers extremely cheap. as it was one of them deals where the seller had bought them for a project and never got around to putting them on and sold the truck so had them sitting in his garage-or shed-or whatever collecting dust. but the local speed shop gave me a "if I had to buy them new today" price of over $450; although this set of headers is brand new I paid 10% of that price for them!
Had I not gotten that kind of screaming deal I'd be doing as the other poster in your thread had suggested and having duals run off of the stock manifolds.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
REALLY??? Less torque with headers???? Huh. I just bought a set of Hooker Super Comps for my 318.

The article never whet other modifications had been done before the header/manifold comparisons.
:gr_patrio

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
well for the guy asking the Super Comps fit great, tucked up nice (won't have to worry about scraping them with a slight dip or rise in the road like the Dynomax's I ran on my Diplomat) NO hammer mods needed either, though my starter is a tight fit with 1 header tube right against the starter end plate. I guess I will have to swap to aone of those Non American made mini POS' if this starter dies. This one has served the truck well according to the date on it (cast in) it is the original one from 1983 still on there. Duals on as of a few days ago, for $45.00 for these Hookers which were still brand new when I found them at the swap meet I could not pass em up. And yes I noticed an immediate difference in how the truck runs with headers and duals, vs manifolds and a single system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.