Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morn'n Everyone -

I thought I'd solicit some input from ya'll on a thought that I have to trade my '04 Hemi Durango for a 2500 Diesel Ram 4WD. The reason I'm thinking about doing this is that I pull a 21 ft boat that weighs in around 5300 lbs loaded. The Durango does a good job pulling the boat, but I do know that it's back there and unless I'm on level ground, I find myself downshifting and running up the RPM's to maintain highway speeds.

I own a 1996 Ram 1500 2WD that I bought new and have put about 170k miles on, so I'm no stranger to the Ram truck. Quite frankly, I'd love to have a new one. I'm keep'n the '96 for my son to drive.

I visited a local dealer and checked out 2005 Ram 2500 SWB, 4WD Diesel. I could not believe how quiet the motor was. I drove the truck and just loved it. The truck listed for about $44k, but I told the guy that I was not gonna pay more than about $35, so we'll see what happens. :) I've also seen several used 2004's with around 20 to 30k miles in for around $30k - $34k in the autotrader.com.

Anyway, for you guys/gals that own this truck and use it for towing, what are your comments on towing performance?

How about fuel mileage, towing or not? I get about 18/19 on the hiway with the Durango Hemi @ 70mph. I get about 11/12 towing the boat on the hiway @ 70mph.

Thanks!

Christopher

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I get 11MPG pulling a 17K 5th wheel in my brand new 2005. I was getting 13MPG with my 03 SO Diesel. A 5K trailer wouldn't even be noticed by the diesel

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.