DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to order a new leather steering for my 2004 Dodge Durango and was told that I needed to also get a new clockspring. Has anyone else done this and had to buy the new clockspring too? Thanks

·
Hemi x 2
314 Posts
Yeah, I am an ins adj and we always replace the clock spring when replacing a steering wheel or an airbag in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Durango doesn't have the leather steering wheel right now and I'd rather have the leather. On Avondalewholesaleparts.com the leather steering wheel is about $88.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
be very careful to follow the manual so you don't trip the airbag. badbadbadbad...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The manual says to wait 2 minutes after disconnecting the battery but I think I'll give it 10 to 15 to be safe.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually they sent me an email saying the steering wheel is now $124.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
If you do get one let me know if it is actually real leather!
I never have seen a OEM leather wheel in a Rango.
Mine is a Ltd. and has the Vinyl crap in it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine is nicely fading at the most used parts.

·
Hemi x 2
314 Posts
How can you tell if it is real leather or not? I have a LTD and was pretty sure mine was leather. I really do not know what leather should feel like vs vinyl as far as the steering wheel goes. Mine feels like leather?!:huh:

·
Registered
238 Posts
That is very interesting... as far as I knew, you had actually leather, but only on the contact surface of the seat, the sides, back of the seat back (the part the rear passengers face in the rear seat), ... are "leatherette" or more accurately, vinyl with the looks of leather.

Now, I don't think it is allowed in the US to advertise something as leather when it's actually not...

That aside, I have seen a few limited Ds and I agree the leather quality is not the best of the industry, actually I've seen Kias with more sofisticated OEM leather on the seats. I think that should respond to the different leather options/qualities there are.

About the steering wheel, I have seen all car manufacturers use a different style leather for the steering wheel, a kind that is more smooth and seems harder than the soft cozy leather from the seats... I think that kind of leater is more resistant to elements like sun, sweat (from your hands), stain, etc... maybe that's why you think it's not really leather... but I would think it is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey, I was thinking of doing the same upgrade. How did it work out for you? Can you provide any details of the steering wheel swap? Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, I was thinking of doing the same upgrade. How did it work out for you? Can you provide any details of the steering wheel swap? Thanks
I ended up just putting on a Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover because it was cheaper and easier then swapping the steering wheel. The Wheelskins cover is nice looking and matched my grey interior. It took about an hour to install. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.

·
Chief's Pride!!!
2,497 Posts
Ya mine is pleather also, I thought it was leather when I bought it. I would love to see what you put on yours.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are some pictures of the Wheelskins cover I used. It's been on a month and still has the leather smell.

Attachments

·
The Musical Enforcer
793 Posts
Looking good that what I would suggest myself save the money!! It looks good my friend! Great job enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.