DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well yesterday i dropped off the dodge at the stealership to get fixed for an exhaust leak at manifold, bad pwr steering pump, and the posi lost its c clip that i discovered when i changed the fluid..

well got a call today and thank god i have a warranty, cause they said the rear end isnt fixable cause its all chewed up inside and they gotta find a new/used one which woulda cost 1000 alone.. only thing that sucks is i guess the insurance company is sending an inspector out who didnt come today like he was supposed to so everything is on hold till then..

i hate being without a car, i was gonna get a rental till they told me that i gotta pay then they reimburse me only if labor time exceeds 16 hours.. not just how long they have it which to me is bullshit and if i get a rental and they finish in 15 hours i'm stuck with the bill...

err.. just thought i'd vent cuase who knows how long i'm gonna be without the dodge now.. :bawl:

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
i think i would talk to the shop manager. find out how many hours a rear end, the power steering pump and exhaust manifold is billable at. If its close to 16 hours have them bill you for a minimum of 16 hours. Your not paying, the warrany company is.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah didnt think of that.. the guy seemed pretty cool when i took it down.. i'll have to call out there tomorrow and see whats he says.. thanks for the idea.

i'm just surprised the rear end got trashed already.. i only have 80k on it.. granted i do some light wheeling and i've towed quite a bit with it but even still..

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Are you talking about the c-clips for the axle or the clips for the clutch packs? My rear end had the clips that held the clutch packs for the lsd falling out and I had about the same mileage as you do. Do you have the 9.25 corporate rear? I had a couple of teeth on the gear with wear but I took out the lsd and put a powertrax locker in and haven't had a problem in over a year now. You might want to consider changing out the lsd if you do have one because they don't seem to be reliable..

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was the c clip for the lsd.. if it was up to me i'd just put in a locker n call it a day.. but its getting fixed under warranty so they have to put factory parts in it i guess so the warranty stays good.. and yeah its the 9.25..

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Those clips kept falling out of my rear end LOL I had to make that joke! Anyways they kept falling out so I got a cleargearz cover here is a pic http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledetails.jsp?parts_id=TDP:8404

With that I could see the condition of the oil and if any of the gears were screwing up without taking the cover off they are very strong too! You can find them cheaper than this website I actually got mine from jegs.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Rudnik:

If I might ask, who is your warranty with???

FYI, Jasper sells rear ends totally rebuilt from top to bottom. They are pricey, but they have a very good warranty.

I would think that the warranty would cover a rental for at least a few days.

All of those repairs together could add up to a pretty big bill. I could easily see 2k.

Hopefully they will do the right thing and give you the service you paid for.

A co-worker of mine is struggling right now because the $2800 extended warranty he got got for his use Dodge pick up will only cover "certain parts'" of the trans which is DOA.

I told him for that price, they ought to rebuild his or get him a new one.

Don

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
*SNIP* If its close to 16 hours have them bill you for a minimum of 16 hours. Your not paying, the warrany company is.
The adjuster is going to have the required man-hours in his book, too

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the warranty is through greater lakes, i got the silver plan.. i went and got a rental today and put out 500 dollars up front assuming i'd have it for a week.. the lady there called the shop and asked how long it would be and she told me the guy there was even shocked i was renting already (went 2 days without a car n got fed up) he told her that only 2 outta the 3 repairs i wanted done (i'm assuming my exhaust isnt gettin fixed) is covered and it might not add up to the time needed.. i still got the rental anyways..

its bullshit how they pussyfoot around waitin on phonecalls n paperwork meanwhile i'm out of transportation to get from point a to b.. i will get at least 150 back from the rental cause it was a deposit but i will be lucky as hell to get any more than that back.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
if its like my crappy ass warranty company you wont. I had to pay for my tranny rebuild , because i didn't have time to wait around (deploying to Iraw and wasn't leaving the problem for my eife to handle and had a new child). So I paid up front after being told by 3 different reps that they would reimburse me if it was found to not be my fault. Well they later told me that I didn't get prior writtne approval, so they were denying my claim. I got half of the money back when I canceled my warranty, I know put faith in my hands when it comes to any issues(and the fact that my rebuit tranny has a 5 yr 50,000 warranty on everything down to the tranny pan bolts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
not trying to hijack the thread or anything.. but did you have some knocking sounds from the rear? Of any of you guys's who lost the c clips?
Cause Im getting the Knocking rear end and the dealer ( without taking the cover off) said that its most likely the c clips falling out of the clutch packs and its allowing play.

Just wanted to know.. cause Im gonna get my truck fixed soon and need to have some kind of idea of what kind of $$ im gonna spend on parts ect..

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i had no noise at all to tell me something was wrong.. i had no idea till i changed the fluid in the diff.. after i knew something was wrong though it felt kinda loose goin around sharp turns when it was slick though.. but that mighta been a mental thing since i knew something was wrong..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Rudnik:

I am not familiar with Silver Lakes, and many folks including myself should be very cautious with third party extended warranties that are not backed by the manufacturer.

Google Warranty Gold when you get a chance, and read about the many folks who lost a lot of money after WG went belly up. The thing that is beyond criminal, is they kept on selling policies as the ship was sinking.

My most recent third party warranty was though Warranty Direct, and I do not recommend them.

I did get 75% of my money back from the policy, but even though I paid extra for the $0 deductible, they cried and whined saying that they would not pay my dealer $140 for a water pump that they could buy on the internet for half that.

From now on, I will be using the factory backed policy if I do get one. We did that for the wifes 05 Grand Caravan, and so far every repair ends with a "Thanks for your business, no charge."

Don

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
i had to replace my 9.25 rear end at about 88xxx miles, the guy said there was nothing left in there, it was complettely gone, stealership wanted 2500 for brand new parts and everything, i got a junker wit 57xxx for 550 and install for 250

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
It's now more than ever that the dealers should realize what they're quoting for service work. The Chvy dealer I brought my work van to offered me several choices for a transmission repair.
When I asked my Dodge dealer to replace my cowl because somehow the wiper shafts are out of alignment and cracked it on our Grand Caravan, they wanted to know where I got my oil changes. I explained to them it doesn't pay to drive 3 miles to their place and then get a cab ride home while they work on it for an oil change. They fixed it for free. I hope they're still around while I still have warranties.:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i stopped in for an update today and here's what i found out

exhaust not being covered...
power steering, while the service guys and the shop manager said it needed replaced the inspector said it was a seal and they would only pay for it, which would cost me almost half of what it would for me to replace the pump myself.. so i said screw that..

rear end.. the shop manager who seems real cool, told me i got lucky cause since i'm on 33's a lot of times the warranty company wont cover it. and to get a junk set of stock tires next time i have to bring it in cause i got lucky the inspector didnt notice.. but i guess the shop found me a rear that only had a 90 day warranty and coulda had it done already, but no.. the warranty people said they would find me one that would be warrantied for a year incase it would break again they wouldnt have to pay again. so now i'm stuck with my rental which is not going to be paid for by them till the end of the week..

i'm only gonna end up payin bout 150 for everything.. o and another thing i just remembered.. when the shop manager told the guy how much it was for gear oil (synthetic 75-140 which is 70 bucks) the warranty people said no thats too much we will give u 30 and i have to cover the rest..

i hate warranty companies

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
another update

got a call from the shop manager today cause he told me that it would probably be done today.. WELL.. wouldnt u know the rear end that the warranty company insisted on getting was the WRONG ****ING ONE.. so now he said maybe he will call monday if they get him another one by then..

i proceeded to call the warranty company and give them a piece of my mind cause i've been paying for a rental out of my own pocket knowing i wasnt gettin reimbursed to bitch about them sending the wrong part and that i want reimbursed from now till whenever its done since they sent the wrong part.. and the guy was just kinda like we can see about that i will look into it.. and tried to get off the phone without even gettin my number.. as it stands right now.. the rental is due back at 3 tomorrow.. so i'm gonna call in the morning and be like time is an issue so i need an answer and if u cant give me it let me talk to who can give me an answer.

i'm never never never buying a warranty again.. instead i'm gonna take the extra money that it would cost to buy the warranty and put it in its own lil account for repairs.. i coulda had it fixed by now by myself..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
RUD:

Sorry to hear that you are having such a time. One point that occurred to me is that you are going to have a little more trouble finding a rear end for an 03 because they made the switch to disc that year. That eliminates the 00-02 models for you.

You might try LKQonline .com, or Morris Rose Auto parts in Michigan. I bought my NV244 transfer case from them, and was very pleased with their service and shipping rates.

I kind of find it hard to think that they can not rebuild the one you have. Rear end housings are pretty darned tough. Usually the way they are destroyed is in a crash, and it takes one hell of a crash to do that.

I winder if your shop does not know how to properly set up a rear end (many don't), so they just want to replace the entire assembly which they can do.

To rebuild yours if it can be done should cost no more than ~$1k.

To replace the whole thing with another should be even less since they are merely changing parts.

Don

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
its all the warranty company though that is causin the problems.. the shop i go to is real good.. but the warranty is callin the shots as to what they want done and they insisted on getting the parts themself..

never again will i get an extended warranty.. and i will tell as many people as i can not to as well..

edit update again..

got a call back from warranty people.. and my new rear will be here tuesday he assured me its the right one and agreed to reimburse my 35 dollars a day for 3 days since they sent the wrong part.. so... i'm still gonna have to pay a lil extra but at least they took care of me some.. he just told me to fax him my invoice from the rental company when i take the car back and he will put in to reimburse me so hopefully he isnt just bullshittin me

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hey Rud:

How about an update here???

Are you back on the road , or what??

Don:crazy:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.