Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

First, let me say that I truly know not a whole lot about cars, but was hoping to get an idea of what might be causing my problem before I take it to the repair shop and spend a bunch of money I probably don't need to be spending!

I bought a 99 Durango in May of 04 from a used Dodge dealership. I did purchase a warranty with it (which I have already used and am thankful for having it). I have, within the last month, had new shocks and a tune up done on the vehicle, along with an oil change. Just drove over 3,500 miles to the east coast and back to Oklahoma for vacation, so I need another oil change.

Here's my problem. When the truck is cold, it starts pretty much right away (it is a little sluggish if I have the A/C on, so I make sure it is turned off).

However, lately (ever since I got back from the east coast), if the truck has been running for any length of time over just a few minutes, the truck is very sluggish to start. In fact, on Saturday, I drove for about 45 minutes, stopped the truck for about 15, then tried to start it again and it just would not turn over.

Interestingly enough (don't know if this has anything to do with it), the clock on my radio lost about 40 minutes of time.

Truck starts fine if it is cold though.

What could be causing this problem? What might the cost be?

Thanks.

Pat
Tulsa OK

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good question.

The battery that is in it now is the same one that came with it when I purchased the vehicle last May.

Do you advise me taking it to Autozone or O'Reilly's and having it tested?

The battery cables have a little bit of corrosion on them (not a whole lot like what I have seen on other cars).

Thanks.

Pat S
Tulsa OK

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
I would start at the battery like Neil said, as well as clean that corossion up. If that doesnt help please be more specific on the starting issue. Does it crank like normal and not fire? Or is it slow to crank ?

·
Registered
217 Posts
My guess would be battery... Heat is bad for batteries... so I would put my money on the battery this time. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.