DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How reliable have the Auburn LSD's been with the 9.25 rear diff on the 1/2 ton trucks? Has anyone experienced any problems? I've been trying to restrain myself from any drivetrain mods (LPT warranty on a truck that sees 40k/yr under "severe service"), but the pegleg rear has become increasingly annoying around the farm. Don't care much for a locker, so the Auburn looks to be the only way to go. Has anybody had one break on them? If an Auburn fails, does it tend to cause any damage to the factory gears?

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
I've only seen one bad posting about an Aurburn in the 4 years or so I've been on here.
It was completely trashed. I can't remember why for sure.....I think it was just a "bad one". Things happen I guess.
I can't say anthing from experience about Aurburns, but I do have the Detroit TruTrac which is an LSD and not a full time locker.
This uses Gears not clutches and troque biasing as it''s method to lock the wheels, when needed.
It's bullet proof and you don't even know it's back there until it's needed.
Al.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the DTT an automatic locker, not an LSD? It is my understanding that the DTT is either 100% locked or open, while the Auburn has a percentage lockup as do most LSD's

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Yep your right.
The DTT is an open diff until it load senses that it needs to lock up.
I do believe however, that it's not fully 100% locked. I think it's only a proportion that actually gets locked. But to all intents and purposes your right. It's early over here in the UK and I've not had my second cup of tea lol.
BTW....why "Don't care much for a locker" ???
Al.
AL.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Ive got an Auburn LSD and have had zero problems with it.

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
The Auburn is a good unit from what I've read and heard. It's a lot better than the factory unit too. I had a DTT in my last Ram and it was a huge difference coming from a peg leg rearend. :tup:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yep your right.
The DTT is an open diff until it load senses that it needs to lock up.
I do believe however, that it's not fully 100% locked. I think it's only a proportion that actually gets locked. But to all intents and purposes your right. It's early over here in the UK and I've not had my second cup of tea lol.
Al.
AL.
The Detroit Truetrac is a limited slip not a locker, I have owned both the Auburn and the Truetrac. The Truetrac is better on the street and for towing, the Auburn has a tighter bias ratio and is better off-road use. The Truetrac is a helical gear differential, the Auburn is a cone clutch differential. The helical gear are quieter and last a long time, the cone clutch design can wear over time but can be rebuilt, I have never hear of one wearing out.

[Detroit Truetrac]
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produ...ducts/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm

[Auburn Gear]
http://www.auburngear.com/aftermark...category=4ea7b7ea-ad65-492a-830f-1b8a333d16ef

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys...now need to find a local installer. Any idea if they plan on releasing an ECTED for the 9.25?

Like to drift around on the paved country roads and figured a limited slip would function better than an automatic on/off locker that's supposed to remain open around turns. All I'm able to do now are one-wheeled turning burnouts, which are nothing more than a waste of gas and tires.

The Detroit Truetrac is a limited slip not a locker, I have owned both the Auburn and the Truetrac. The Truetrac is better on the street and for towing, the Auburn has a tighter bias ratio and is better off-road use. The Truetrac is a helical gear differential, the Auburn is a cone clutch differential. The helical gear are quieter and last a long time, the cone clutch design can wear over time but can be rebuilt, I have never hear of one wearing out.
Really? If the DTT is a limited slip, then any idea what the lockup % is on it? How would it perform around corners on dry pavement under heavy/full throttle? Would the diff remain open, lock-up 100%, lock-up less than 100%, or keep switching between open and locked?

I figured the Auburn would be sufficient offroad and drift more predictably onroad, while the DTT would be especially good offroad and on straight-line launches.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
opposite locker.

"Really? If the DTT is a limited slip, then any idea what the lockup % is on it? How would it perform around corners on dry pavement under heavy/full throttle? Would the diff remain open, lock-up 100%, lock-up less than 100%, or keep switching between open and locked?"

From the DTT FAQ section:

When does the Truetrac lock up?
The Truetrac is a helical gear limited slip differential and never “locks up”. The Truetrac operates by transferring power from the spinning wheel to the wheel with the most traction. If one tire breaks traction, the amount of rotation (or spin) is controlled. The torque is then sent to the other tire that still has traction.

I don't know what the % lockup the DTT has but, I do know, that any transfer of power is seamless and you really can't feel a switching betwen wheels with this unit. Also when I get on the power around a corner, both wheels are spinning and I can "drift" around acorner easily wet or dry pavement.:D
Al.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know! It looks like the DTT will work for my purposes afterall...just need to give them a call and find out what the lock-up % is.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Good to know! It looks like the DTT will work for my purposes afterall...just need to give them a call and find out what the lock-up % is.
If you find out, please post the figure up.
It's always good to know information.
Al.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I have the Detroit True Trac installed in my truck and love it. It is super quiet and has worked well even when towing a 7500lb trailer over 1700 miles from Dallas to Miami.

With that said BOTH the Auburn & the DTT are great options. While the DTT is a step up from the Auburn either one will serve you well.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
05HemiBigHorn
132 Posts
I had the auburn pro ls in my last truck and it was awesome on and off road with zero problems.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What would be a reasonable install cost for either LSD? Looks like my clutch is gonna be due soon, so that might put off the LSD for a couple months...

·
The Day I Got Her
224 Posts
so they say auburn is better than the DTT off road but how does the DTT perform when using it off road? also what kind of lockers are out there for the 9.25? i would love to just flip a switch when i need it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.