DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody gotten rid of the Cat on an 05 and found any difference in fuel mileage? I see there are no front and rear sensors on the pipe so I talked with my service manager today and he said there should be no problem replacing it with a pipe. I haven't been able to find anybody around here that can bend up 4 inch pipe. Does anybody know if there is a replacement pipe out there somewhere? I have heard of guys taking the Cats out and punching a big hole in the inside and then reinstalling it but I don't want to do that. I want to be able to put the Cat back on when I deal the truck in two years. Thanks for any advice or ideas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
try a muffler delete pipe in place of the cat. I am getting rid of mine soon.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna go to the dealer today and get on the parts computer and see if I can find something that works

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing from Dealership will work. 03 doesn't have a 4 foot pipe, its got one 20" long and the muffler has a long pipe on it. Muffler is $700

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I thought of removing mine... but decided to leave it on just in case something were to come up later on down the road and didn't want it to bite me in the ass. CATs on diesels isn't near the caliber of gassers, but who knows where it's gonna get to eventually.

However for a pipe... I was lucky enough that the place I got mine done had a 4" pipe with just the right bend to take the place of the muffler.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My buddy ripped the cat off of his 04.5 and all you could see was a pinky size hole through it. He ended up strait piping it. I will make a difference if you rip it off.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did he leave the muffler and just straight pipe where the cat was?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bigbegum69 said:
Try bullydog or any company that manufactures diesel exhaust systems.

http://www.cyclonediesel.com is where I am getting mine from.
That website has a muffler delete pipe or a whole turbo back system, it doesn't have just a Cat delete pipe :(

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Why remove only the CAT if you're gonna leave the muffler?:confused:

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bubba_Hemi said:
Why remove only the CAT if you're gonna leave the muffler?:confused:
The Cat is causing the bad fuel mileage pulling

·
Registered
73 Posts
The muffler delete is what you need. It is "illegal" to remove the cat so they can not sell a cat delete pipe. Just make sure it is a 4" pipe. Exchanging the stock muffler with a high flow muffler may also help fuel mileage.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to the Freightliner dealer and bought an exhaust stack with the 4" ID nurl on the end and 4 inch OD the rest of the way. Got it 60" long but only needed about 41" so I could have got away with the 48" pipe. Cost was $40 canadian. Was going to do it out in my shop with just a floor jack but a buddy offered his hoist so off I went. Would have never been able to do it without the hoist :) Took an hour but its now done. I can feel the difference in the seat of my pants. Not a huge difference but big enough to notice. Will let you know after this weekend if it made a difference in gas mileage pulling.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
nice, let us know. How much louder is it?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No noticable difference in sound

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe picked up half a mile to the gallon pulling 17K trailer this weekend, hard to tell. The truck only has 6000 km (4000 miles) so it hasn't even started to open up yet. Got 11.5 Miles to the american gallon pulling in the flats and it dropped to 10.5 MPG in the hills

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just wondering if you can hollow out the existing CAT??? What I'v heard if you rip out the CAT that the dealership or any other shop won't touch your truck for any work to be done on it. Thats in the US though.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was my service manager that told me to take it off instead of punching a hole in it. If you punch it and then need it later on for emissions test your screwed. The cat on an 05 diesel is worth a little over a grand canadian.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Yea, that's why I left mine on there... because I know how they are about CATs on the gassers... so I just left it there because it'd be less hassle.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.