DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed an AirAid system on my 2011 R/T to improve the engines ability to "inhale". Decided I needed to do something to help it "exhale" a bit better.

Did some searching and ordered a Pair of Gibson stainless steel mufflers to replace the resonators. The P/N is 55142S and they matched up almost perfectly for the install. The guy that did it for me said they were almost a "factory" matchup regarding fit.

What a HUGE difference-the sound is awesome with a nice rumble at idle and a pleasant but powerful tone under normal driving conditions. When I stomp on it-WOW is all I can say as it sounds awesome!

Extra benefit is that pairing the Gibsons with the AirAid has made a significant improvement in the performance of my R/T, and I mean NOTICABLE! It's amazing what moving air into and out of the engine faster can do for performance!

And the sound-----:rck:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said, I replaced the resonators not the muffler with the above listed Gibson product.

I'll record a sound clip and take some pics when I get home again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a perfect balance of a nice smooth but noticable sound when driving "normally" but when I punch it-yeah baby, it sounds awesome!!!

Like I said, I installed an AirAid CAI filter as well as the Gibson mufflers and when I start the vehicle, I've had friends ask me what major work I've done to the engine. I'm in Dallas, TX. flying a helo simulator but when I get back home I'll do a clip and post it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How is the drone inside the cabin? Resonators' main fuction is to reduce resonance and drone. I think, changing the mid muffler with a good big sized X-PIPEd muffler will give a hell lot of performance and sound without any discomfort for the passengers.
Just my 2 cents opinion.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put on the DODDURMB resonator delete on my D and it rumbles but performance gain is minimal. Sounds good, though. Only rumble is on departure and around 35-40.....other than that, it is nice. No drone at any speed and the MDS doesn't sound weird.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
After my mod there is NO drone in the cabin. I HAVE changed the resonators on my D and did the AirAid intake mod AND the Gibson shorty mufflers, there is a SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT in performance. I believe the resonators are more restrictive than the X muffler. Muffler guy cut one in half-looked like crap inside. I'm not sure what you're referring to but I have actually done it to my vehicle. The factory filter assembly is the absolute worst for air movement.

I did the intake and exhaust together-major improvement in my R/T. It's not conjecture or opinion, I actually DID it and have experienced the performance increase. Your mileage may vary but mine's based on actual first-hand experience.

I was pretty disappointed with my R/T when I first got it-I'm pretty happy now..............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.