DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to have my exhaust (when I get it) DUMPED. Questions: SI/SO or SI/DO. Offset or Centered? Should I stick w/ 3"? I know another muffler question is all this board needs, but I'm tired of searching. Thanks! Oh, and how far should I run the pipe before it is dumped?

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Well....if you are getting an aftermarket muffler and you want it dumped/hidden/no tailpipe(s)....then you would only need a SI/SO.

Placement (offset/center) wouldn't matter...cause its hidden.

Yes, 3" is the correct size.

I would dump the pipe right after the muffler with a turn down coming off the muffler.

That should do it!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
This may be a dumb question ... but is the only reason to dump an exhaust to keep the pipe hidden? There is no performance gain and/or sound difference right?

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
DeputyRAM said:
This may be a dumb question ... but is the only reason to dump an exhaust to keep the pipe hidden? There is no performance gain and/or sound difference right?
Yes, dumping the pipe just means the tailpipes are hidden.

No performance gain....however you will loose depth in sound. Pipes/metal will add to the deep tone...but not to much will be lost. So I say, DUMP IT!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Custom Brake Lamp ON/OFF Switch????????????????????????????????? :huh:

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
You will lose your deep sound with it, but it'll be louder as it's less pipe.

Big E said:
Custom Brake Lamp ON/OFF Switch????????????????????????????????? :huh:
He installed a switch so he can flip the brake lights on without having to actually hit the brakes. It's purpose is so he doesn't have to get off the gas to warn tailgaters.

·
SRT-4
3,262 Posts
I actually dropped a few tenths in the 1/4 aftering dumping my muffler... Go figure...

But like they said, its usually done for look and sound vs performance. Mines a SI/DO as I had dual pipes out the back originally. Seems to work and sound great though.

Welcome to the dumped club, lol

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Bubba_Hemi said:
He installed a switch so he can flip the brake lights on without having to actually hit the brakes. It's purpose is so he doesn't have to get off the gas to warn tailgaters.
Why are you sharing my secrets..... :D

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
How is it a secret? It's in your sig...

Oh, and it's payback for all the damn questions. lol

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
ok question time.......anyone just remove the muffler and dump it right after the cat?? if so how loud did it get?? i know some guys that removed the muffler and ran a straight pipe out the back. i was wondering about just dumping it at the cat. think it will resonate in the cab??

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a set up that is dumped after the cat that I often put on when I want to be loud. It’s pretty loud. I have the 4.7 and it’s loud. I’m not too crazy about the way it sounds though. But I have noticed if you actually put a turn down on it, and you have the radio on you should still be able to carry on a conversation in your cab at constant speed. Keep in mind I have a QC. The resonation might be considerably higher in an RC. I also have a significant lose in bottom end torque when I take the muffler off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stay with me here guys. On a reg. cab, how far should I run the pipe before turn it down/dump it?
On a side note, that idea about the brake light switch is pretty sweet. :cool:

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
It depends on your state law. Some states require it to only go past the interior of the rig while some say it has to go past the rear axle if the full lentgh. Only exception to the second is if it exits to the side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.