DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 1992 dodge ram D-150 2wd with the 5.2L 318, and I would like to put a dual exhaust system on it.

I need an opinion, how difficult would it be to put a true dual exhaust on it, I know after looking underneath it, I would need to work it around the gas tank. I want it for sound, would it be better to put a cat-back system on it?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
First off, the stock manifolds flow pretty well so in my opinion headers aren't necessary.

If you go the true duals route, you'll need to add a converter. I recommend Magnaflow converters. They flow really well and won't break the bank. A 2.5" system with 40 or 50 series Flowmasters would be plenty for a 318. Add an H-pipe to balance the system.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
theycallmepj said:
I just got this 1992 dodge ram D-150 2wd with the 5.2L 318, and I would like to put a dual exhaust system on it.

I need an opinion, how difficult would it be to put a true dual exhaust on it, I know after looking underneath it, I would need to work it around the gas tank. I want it for sound, would it be better to put a cat-back system on it?
Run the pipe from the left bank across where your crossover pipe is and run both down the right side of the truck. You can take one back over to the left side if you want, usually this is done in the area of the rear axle. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
510 Posts
Don't waste time or money on headers! Had them , and they were a pain! Actually lost power on take-off. Run both pipes on the right hand side, just like the stock one. Get
a dual inlet/outlet muffler and CAT (if needed!). If you use oval mufflers, mount them side by side on thier edges. That's how they were in 1989 on the 360 HD trucks from the factory. Is the spare STILL under the truck? If so, run one crossover pipe between the left rear shock and axle, the right side is straight out. Lots of room with the spare. As mentioned earlier, get a good quality muffler and CAT. It really sucks replacing these over and over. Are you fabbing this yourself? If so, the use of flange kits at the start of the pipes will help you alot during ass/re-assembly of the system.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spare tire is gone, so there is plenty of room in the back to mess with. I will be doing this all myself. Much appreciate the advise

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also have a 92 318 and I took it to a muffler dealer and he ran both down the right side then split them off towards the middle. OOOPPPPS , think he forgot the converter.........really you could just go through the converter and forget the mufflers and it would sound good. I love mine since I changed it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
he started up front by the Y, brought two pipes back side by side then split them so there are two coming out the back, one on each side. Actually the converter is much like a muffler is what I was getting at. I have a muffler but no converter. It is loud when I want it to be. Any idea where I might find a grill guard for my Ram? I have looked alot of places already. I am in Iowa. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have also been looking for a grille guard, i havn't found any online, the only place i've seen them is at a local junk yard, except they are not in good shape there

·
Registered
510 Posts
Here is what Dodge did for the HD service trucks. For mine ( no Spare), I used a single in/dual out muffler, and a second over-axle pipe, and then redirected it from there. Dodge used a 3" tail pipe in the picture, and no Cats.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.