DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dual battery install is really very simple once you get the parts.

Parts:
Right fender battery tray for a Diesel Rams
Battery hold-down
Stinger SR200 200 Amp Isolator/Relay
http://www.stingerelectronics.com/tech_department/SR200 multiple batt DIAGRAM.pdf
Isolator Relay Delay
http://www.mastertech-inc.com/intellitec/iso_re_de.html
Welding cable lugs, etc.
Deep cycle battery

After I mounted the tray I ran the negative cable from the second battery to the first battery negative cable using 4 gauge welding cable. The second battery gets it ground from my starter battery. This way I only need to pull one negative cable when I work under the hood. That way I can never forget the second and cause a short while working. Then I ran the positive cable from my starter battery to the SR200 relay. The cable from the SR200 goes to the second battery. The SR200 also has two small terminals which are used to activate and supply ground to the SR200 Relay. The instructions call for true ignition switched 12 volt source which remains powered during start-up but I did not like that idea so I added a the relay delay to give the system brains. When the SR200 gets power it connects the two batteries and assumes that they are both getting charged. Under some conditions it could be wrong so I installed the relay delay. If for some reason my starter battery has less than 12.6 volts the relay delay will not activate the SR200 so that all charging from the alternator will go directly to my starter battery. Once the starter battery is fully charged and the alternating is sending 13.3 volts it will turn on the SR200 to charge the deep cycle battery. Although they are combined each battery will only take the power it needs. In other words once the starter battery is full its draw is so low that most the charge will pass through to the deep cycle battery. If the alternator drops below 13.3 volts the relay delay will turn off the SR200 breaking the connection between the two batteries so that the deep cycle will not drain the starter battery. The power for the relay delay is tapped from the cigarette lighter fuse box next to the driver’s side door. The only thing I need to add is a momentary switch to combine the two batteries for emergency starting if the starter battery ever fails.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.