Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy
My 01 Burped The Other Day [this Is The Best Way I Can Describe This]....i Was Waiting For A Light To Change, When It Did I Pushed Down Of The Peddle And It Burped For A Nano-second....it Ran Fine, But Of Course This Is Not What I Like To Feel. So It Didnt Do This Again For A Couple Weeks, Then The Same Thing Happened After I Filled Up And Topped Off The Tank. All Filters Etc Are Within Mileage Guide Lines Etc. No Loss Of Power, All Runs Just Dandy Down The Road.....any Ideas??.air Lock??....this Has Happened Twice In A Month Or So.
Thanks,
Dc

·
Registered
50 Posts
Burped??? Can you give a better description? If it only does it when you start to push on the throttle it could be the APPS. Either going bad or just getting some gunge. You can try reseting it. Disconnect the batteries for an hour. Then hook them back up, turn the key to run, slowly push the pedal to the floor and slowly release. If it is grunge you could try working it repetitivly. Like any potentiometer it can collect crap and exercising it can clear the grunge.

Randy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also try turning the key on/off three times and leave it in run the third. The odometer should display any codes or P DONE if there are none stored.

Randy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Burp

Randy
Thanks For The Info.....the Burp I Was Trying To Tell You About Is Like A Gas Motor Miss...if This Was A Gas Motor I Would Look For A Plug Wire Or Something Like That.it Just Bogs Down For A Partial Second, Kinda Like A Starve For Fuel...but They Arent Supposed To Do This At All Right?....like I Said, Mileage Is Great, Pulls Great, Just Has Done This Twice, And I Want To Know If I'm Looking At Crappy Fuel, Or Pumps Going...or Just A Drunk Truck Haha...again, Thanks For The Reply

Denny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks For Reply
Did What You Said To Do, Found Two Codes Came Up..0522 & 1693..now To Figure What These Mean...and Does This Mean I Have To Replace Sensors..or Is This Just Telling Me Of Problems In The Near Future??

Denny

·
Registered
50 Posts
1693 is stating there is an issue
P0522 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Voltage
I would check the connections. Unsure if these just have pressure sensor or if they have a sepreate switch for the shutdown as well. If they do I would look into the switch. I'll e-mail you the links.

Randy

·
Registered
842 Posts
His truck does have an apps in it not a tps. I would try checking the fuel pressure by screwing a psi gauge onto the schrader valve on the fuel filter housing. You should have at least 10psi when the truck is running. If it is less than 5psi I would be getting a lift (transfer) pump asap. If you run it with low fuel pressure it will kill the injection pump. As far as the oil pressure sensor, A lot of guys don't work at all or they go up to about 90psi as soon as you turn on the key. The oil sender is a $240 dealer only piece. The lift pump can be had for around $200 bucks about anywhere. Both are relatively east to install.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How would the lift pump cause this issue. Not that is isn't a good idea to check it, Ijust curious behind the logic. Also, do you know if it has a LOP switch and the sensor or just the Sensor. If it has both you would not see a change. If it has just the sensor there should be an indication on the dash.

Randy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Folks For The Ideas And Replys....taking Truck In Thursday For It Burped Again Today...getting Way To Frequent Now, And Pulling A 30' Travel Trailer Next Week For Vacation Time I Thought I Better Remedy This Before It Remedy's Me On The Side Of The Road.....i'll Update You On The Results As Soon As I Know.....thanks Again
Regards,
Denny

·
Registered
842 Posts
The logic would be that at idle the lift pump is moving enough fuel to keep er runnin then when you step on it to go it would hesitate when the injection pump is trying to suck fuel from the tank all the way up to the front of the block.
What is a LOP sensor and switch? Dunno what you are talkin about lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have never heard of one studdering due to a L.P. I have an issue with my rollover check valve and with a dead L.P. the VP still pulled enough vacum to whistle around the cap(thats how I found it). He wasn't talking about huge fuel demand. He said pushed down for a second. The Filter should by numerous times volume to supply that. Also it had Oil Pressure code not fuel.

L.O.P. = Low Oil Pressure - Typically a switch - creates enough oil pressure/not enough oil pressure this is much simpler to program then use a linear sensor that a gauge uses.

I'm not trying to prevoke you. I just like to work from facts and use the shotgun policy last. I just gets way to costly.

Randy

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
My 02 did this. I took it to the Dealer and they found it needed a lift pump (after they changed the ECM) when they ran it out of fuel, a month later they replaced the VP44 injection pump. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you dont do the lift pump soon, you too will need the fuel dist. The lack of fuel from the lift causes the distributer to miss. The dist is cooled internally by the fuel so without it it burns itself out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Howdy All
Since They Put In The New L.o.p Sensor Life Has Been Good. Drove Around 500 Miles With Trailer In Tow, Runs Fine....hope That Did The Trick. .....just Have To Wait And See If It Does It Again. Thanks For All The Help.
Denny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Well..it Would Seem That Another Code Has Showed It's Ugly Head...0230 'fuel Pump Primary Circuit Malfunction'....now It Seems The Transfer Pump [lift Pump] Is Going Bad..so Is This A Easy Fix In The Back Yard...or Is This A Dealer Deal Only.....thanks Again Guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Howdy
Went Ahead And Ordered The Lift Pump From Local Cummins Dealer, Then A Service Manual From Detroit, Might As Well Get Used To This And Start Doing It Myself. I Thought I Was Too Old To Do This Kinda Stuff Again,lol, But What The Heck Eh?
I Have To Wait About 10 Days Before Everything Is Here...i Will Drive Very Few Miles Till Then.
Thanks Again
Denny

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.