DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at leveling my 96 Ram by just lowering the rear end using a set of drop shackles. I do not want to lower the front if I don't have to, I am just looking for that level look. Has anybody done that? If so did it look good when you were finished?

·
What a ride...
1,215 Posts
I did my 98 a month or so ago. I like the way that it looks but I wil say that I was a little disappointed. I purchased 2" lowering shackles and it only dropped the truck by a little over 1". I then removed the overload spring and that gave me another 1" and did make the truck look much better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have to use hangers or will just the drop shackles pretty much bolt in place and do the trick? Like I said I am not going for a crazy drop just to level it out.

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
on 4x2 trucks the rear is 4 inches higher so to get a level look shackles and hangers are requires and u can keep your overlaod spring in if u want, that was the first drop i did to my truck and i was happy with it

·
What a ride...
1,215 Posts
hot2k1ram, what drop kit do you have on there now? I would like to get mine a little lower but not sure what to go with.

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
well im going to be changing it pretty soon, i went the cheap way and just got 2" coils, shackles, hangers , but im getting different coils,lower control arms so i can get the camber right, notching the frame in the rear so i can drop the truck down level with the front and belltech nitro drops shocks all around. and a hellwig sway bar for the rear are all on the way right now

belltech makes good quality stuff, u can get all the drop parts from them, DJM is good too, i would suggest changing the lower control arms (shorter) or spindles if u have an earlier model truck, dropping it with coils springs gives you a bad ride and the upper control has no upward travel, shackles and hangers are good for 4"s of drop in the rear, or a flip kit can get you 6-8"s of drop in the rear but that requires notching the frame so u can have some axle travel

·
Registered
50 Posts
anybody know where i can get lower control arms and a tranny xmember??

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
streetbeatcustoms.com carries the fullline of belltech lower parts

RAM MAN, it looks like a totally different truck now

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
thanks

those are older pics when I just dropped the rear with shackles only

Now I'm using the full blown drop from Bell Tech (well, its the 2/4 drop) and with that - I used dropped spindles (and new Moog ball joints) and lowered shackles and hangers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.