DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed one of these in Quad Cab? How exactly do they mount to the roof? Is there a plate that goes behind the headliner or does it have to mount to roof supports? I am considering one in my Quad w/ sunroof so I'm trying to figure out if I can mount it or not.

·
Tape On
829 Posts
I installed one a few years ago in my minivan. If I were going to do it today I'd just but a couple of portable, personal, DVD players for the kids to use.

·
Registered
172 Posts
67Cuda said:
I installed one a few years ago in my minivan. If I were going to do it today I'd just but a couple of portable, personal, DVD players for the kids to use.

can you give some reasons or advantges why you would go with portables?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd have to agree with '67. I've installed 6 roof mounted monitors, and a couple into headrests, and there are always complaints. Mostly because the field of view is limited, as well as the fact that viewers have to look up/sideways. Ideally, we all want to comfortably watch TV/play video games. That's a tough sell if you're sitting in the back seat of a car and have to look up to watch/play.

A significant advantage to portable vs. installed is that portable comes with you - you can have it in more than one vehicle, in any position.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Or you can always do headrest monitors like I plan on doing. I currently have 2 portables that hook up to the back of the headrests for long trips. But I want something more permanent for the future.

KB

·
Registered
223 Posts
I went to the local audio video store tonight and found that I have to shell out an additional $200 for a shroud and mounting bracket for my flip-down lcd, I just shelled out $$$ for. I guess the in-cab frame support that runs from driver to pass caused a ridge in the headliner and the solution for a nice install is these two parts.... I had the install tech show me and the parts and it looks as though when mounting the entire system will sit 1" off the headliner. If I dont use these parts, then I have to mount the LCD towards the front (which is illegal in my state, if the driver can see the lcd) or towards the rear, which the passengers end up not being able to see the video. I am now second guessing...I am all about looks and if it doesnt look good, I wont do it.

Finally, my question... has anyone had a flip-down lcd installed in their 3gen RAM? Did you end up using a shroud and bracket, like i described (sorry I dont have pics)? How did it end up looking?

Any info will help. I am holding off my install until I find out more info.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Get an in dash player. I did and love it. Of course an overhead would be pointless because I have a reg. cab.........

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
I decided to go to portable, went to a Dodge dealership near work and every single one of their minvans that were equipped with the drop down screens on the lot had them ripped out. I figured its just one more item to tempt those damn thieves.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I though about a in-dash, but I have 3 kids I tote around, so the flip-down is the obvious choice. I went back to the installer and asked some questions. I am getting it installed on Saturday. I will post pics for those that are interested.

Theft is a concern, I figure if someone wants something that bad, no matter what type of alarm sys. I have or preventative device, their going to try and take it. That is what insurance is for. My deductible is low enough, so I am not to worried.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would like to see pics when its done.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been busy with some personal sh*t, but I got it installed. It works wonders for the kids. I'll take pics and posted up soon.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You asked for them, here they are. What do you think?

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.