DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a set of bullseye driving lights in the bumper of my 99 Ram, but never finished the wiring installation. What I would like to do is wire them to come on with the High Beams. I bought a relay to use, but ran into a quandry and never finished. With the front end repairs being done presently, I would like to hook them up. The problem I ran into, is apparently (or at least as far as I could determine), is that the headlights are actually Ground switched instead of hot switched. I wanted to tie into the high beam wire to energize the relay which would then supply power to the driving lights, and not put any (or much), additional load on the light switch it'self. Has anyone wired additional lights with their high beams, and if so how did you do it? thx eds

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Are you sure the headlights are ground switched? Meaing you can't get +12v from any of the wires that go to the headlights?
I am fairly sure there is a +12v somewhere on that connector.
using a relay is the correct method, some people just splice into the existing wire...at best that would blow a fuse, at worst it would cause an electrical fire.

Why not just wire your driving lights into their own toggle switch? that way you can run them without having the headlights on. I did that with the 6" off road lights on my push bar and it worked great.
I can go take a look at how the factory fog lights tie into the headlight wiring harness if that would help. Let me know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you would take a look at how your's are wired in, I would appreciate it. Technically, here in Texas, white "Driving" lights are not supposed to be on except when high beams are. I don't think they enforce it much, but with my luck lately, I don't want to chance it.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I'll go take a look.
by the way: I'm from Texas, and I know the law you are referring to, except I was told hi beams and fogs are a no no (blinds oncoming traffic). And off road lights are for what the name implies.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
The fogs tie into the wiring loom running directly underneath the fan shroud.
There may or may not be a connector there already. There are a few unused connectors on mine, one is something to do with the horn and the other I have no idea.
Anyhow, look on the loom below the fan shroud and see if you can tie into that.
If you don't have a multimeter, now would be the time to get one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can do, There's a lot of open, empty road up here, and what I really wanted was for the bullseyes to come on with high beams and shine more to the sides (Deer avoidance). Just a little more light off to the sides of these Farm to Markets ;-)

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
You can wire your lights to come on only when your HI's are on. It's pretty easy to do. I have my fog lights wired to come on when my parking/running lights are on. That way when ever the lights are on the fogs are on and stay on.
What you do is pull out the headlight assembly or bulb (you don't have to it's just easier, make sure you don't touch the bulb) and use a DVOM or test light to find out which wire is for the HI's. Once you find out which wire it is then you can splice into it with the relay. The relay won't draw enough amps to affect anything, unless wired wrong. Thats the hardest part. Then all you will need to do is ground the relay to the truck and run a power wire to the relay and connect the fogs to the other point at the relay.
I have 3 relays running my fogs. 1 turns them on and the other 2 are tied into the left and right blinkers. When the blinkers and fogs are on the right fog will alternate with the right blinker same as with the left. I'm sure it's going to annoy people at night but at least they will know what way I'm turning.
Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guy, that's exactly what I was trying to do, but I kept having trouble picking out the Hi beam power wire (that's why I thought maybe it was ground switched). I'll try again like you said, they're supposed to be through at the P&B shop today (what are the chances), so maybe I can work on it this weekend. I'm going to check close after they finish today CAUSE I AIN'T DRIVING NO D--N 2 TONE TRUCK! They say they have a 100% paint match guarentee, we'll see. It may not be too hard to match though, it was repainted 1 1/2 years ago after a hail storm, and I keep it clean and waxed, so the paint is like new.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Can do, There's a lot of open, empty road up here, and what I really wanted was for the bullseyes to come on with high beams and shine more to the sides (Deer avoidance). Just a little more light off to the sides of these Farm to Markets ;-)
Understandable, but you may also want the fogs on without the high beams in the event you encounter fog while driving. High beams + fog = 0 visibility.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:VHOT: Well, I don't have to worry about the lights this weekend, I picked it up at the P&B shop at 6:30 yesterday, and didn't realize till I got home that they weren't put back on, DOHHHH. This morning I also realized that they changed out my turn indicator lens on the left side, and put one back in with a yellow lens, even though it had (and still has one) clear lenses with yellow bulbs. I'm going back Monday to see what they will do. :VHOT:

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
that sucks, hope their not trying to rip you off.
Got any pics of them on before the wreck (for evidence)?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a matter of fact, I took digitals of the damage before taking it to the P&B shop. Went by this morning and the owner said no problem, they will replace them. Also ask him about the fact that my right side turn signal lens is clear, and the new left side has an amber lens. I had replaced the ambers a year or 2 ago, because I liked the looks of the all clears better (also put out more light than ambers), and I guess I'm OCD, but I want them to match (imagine that).

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I would make them fix it like it was before. If you had both clears, have them order a replacement and then drop it off so they can swap it out for the right one.
That's not OCD, that's just wanting it fixed the right way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My next delima to tackle will be the crack that appeared in the dash back in August when we were having 110* days on a regular basis. Happened even with the window shade and sides cracked 1". It just really bugs me.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Start sourcing salvage yards.
Whatever you do, DON'T get one of those 'dash mats'. They look ghetto-fabulous.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Dad used a dashmat on his Explorer years ago, and loved it, and I thought it looked like CR-P from day one ;-) You don't know by chance how hard it is to get the cap off do you?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the P&B shop just called, and said they had a clear indicator ordered and it would be in Wed. They also said since they couldn't find a set of driving lights like mine, they would be willing to "Cash Out" and pay me for mine and would install them when I picked up a set. Like I said, they have been really nice, and everything else looks great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.