DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have already missed this discussion but I'm posting my problem regardless. Right now my '04 HEMI AWD has about 44k on it. Under acceleration, the drivetrain has an unmistakeable whine coming from somewhere around the transfer case and or rear end housing. As soon as I let off the pedal it nearly goes away. So, that being the case I can say that it only happens under power and not when coasting. Mainly this refers to which side of the ring-gear the pinion is in contact with (side of the teeth that is). In the old Mopars which I'm familiar with, this whining sound is common with worn-out gear sets especially with 3:55 ratio and numerically higher. Usually, they only were noisy if you were either "on-it" or "off-it", but generally not both. Has any one else experienced this condition. It seems to be getting worse, but the vehicle still runs fine. Have I missed a TSB or something? I have the 80K warranty on the drivetrain, so nows the time to get it fixed. Any thoughts? thanks all, jeremy

·
Project Dreamsicle
1,828 Posts
could be a cv joint or possibly a bearing that when put under a load it would whine... just some thoughts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same whine. Eventually it got worse and was accompanied by a vibration. After a few trips to the dealer they decided it was the carrier bearings.. while replacinf those they discovered it was actually the yolk bearings.. 100 miles out of warrentee..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem identified: Read my first post for the symptoms...had the D to the dealer and they insist that I need a new ring and pinion in the rear diff. They said that they will essentially replace everything inside the rear housing as a result..I thought that was stand up of the dealership considering they could have shimmed the pinion to get rid of the sound and it would have gone out totally at a later date...BTW it is still under warranty..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to follow up, the dealer completed work on my rear in one day. It now is quiet as a mouse. It's nice to see a service dept. that is competent enough to diagnose a problem, order all the pieces necessary to fix it and complete the work as promised. BTW, if your rear is making a high pitched whining noise at throttle make sure to get it fixed soon. Ring gear failure wasn't far away in my case...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2006 Hemi Limited AWD - And I notice a whine at the top RPMS when you stomp on it. Not sure if anyone else has the same thing happening. My parents 2004 same set up don't do that. I don't think it is the same issue listed above, but thought it was a good tread to ask. It has pretty much done it since we bought it, have about 14K on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine's exactly the same under hard acceleration. I experienced the same high-RPM whine on an 06 Adventurer I test-drove, so it's not unique to Limiteds. Mine has the 3.92 gears but I believe the Adventurer had 3.55s. Salesman assured me it's perfectly normal....but he probably would have told me that having a smashed windshield was normal if it helped me buy one. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have 3.55s. We have coverage until 80K, so i am not to concered about it at this point, but if anyone with a similar issue finds a resolution, let us know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Me? The only drive train whine i hear is: 'Dang! I shoulda' got the HEMI'...

from my stepson.

j/k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.