Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Cool site..glad I found it.
I have a 98 QC 1500 4X4 8ft. bed.5.9 auto trans 3.92 open diff. I am going nukin' futs over a growl type noise and vibration that occurs only when the trans shifts to OD at approx. 45 to 55 mph.Feathering the throttle,I can keep making the problem occur. It sounds as if the ring and pinion are having a tooth to tooth brawl. however, I have completely disassembled the rear twice and see no evidence of any problems in there. Since I had it all apart, I installed all new bearings, races, axle bearings everything in a set-up kit. I have checked the carrier bearing assembly and all u-joints and nothing seems loose. I have checked the trans. mount and engine mounts and all seem good. I have put the truck in 4wd high and on a level lond dirt road, it still occurs. Has anyone expierienced or heard of any simular problem?
Thanks, DARTGT63

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry man wish I had some suggestions, but I'm stumped. Could be something with your overdrive like you said, maybe bad clutchs or something like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
DartGT63 said:
Hello, Cool site..glad I found it.
I have a 98 QC 1500 4X4 8ft. bed.5.9 auto trans 3.92 open diff. I am going nukin' futs over a growl type noise and vibration that occurs only when the trans shifts to OD at approx. 45 to 55 mph.Feathering the throttle,I can keep making the problem occur. It sounds as if the ring and pinion are having a tooth to tooth brawl. however, I have completely disassembled the rear twice and see no evidence of any problems in there. Since I had it all apart, I installed all new bearings, races, axle bearings everything in a set-up kit. I have checked the carrier bearing assembly and all u-joints and nothing seems loose. I have checked the trans. mount and engine mounts and all seem good. I have put the truck in 4wd high and on a level lond dirt road, it still occurs. Has anyone expierienced or heard of any simular problem?
Thanks, DARTGT63
I've got the same problem. Mine isn't constant. I starts after a few miles down the road. I've also noticed that it will stop, start, stop and start again as the front end of my truck bobs with slight dips in the road. Also, after I slow under 40mph and make a right turn I get a really weird ziiiiiiiipppp noise that lasts just a couple of seconds. Feels almost like my tires are rubbing, but I know that that's not the case.

Also, I can't get the growling vibration to repeat with the truck in the air and in drive.

If I come across anything, I'll be sure to post back here.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
when you said you changed the all the bearings did you take out the ones on the pinion there is two an inner and outer sounds like the outer bearing on the pinion is loose mine did that just before it broke apart and locked up on me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies..... I have spoke to a dealer first class mechanic and he says that the problem is most likely the touqre converter and driveline harmonics make it sound like the rear is failing. The noise happens when the converter goes into lock up, so, he says it's probably a cracked vane in the converter. I just don't know how it can make so much noise and vibration and be an intermittant problem. And don't want to spend a whole bunch'o green to find out the root of the problem. I guess my next weekend project is pulling the trans out.
DARTGT63

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 94' Ram was making funny noises on the Interstate, kinding of a whining noise ....

I noticed that if I pressed on the gas a let off and pressed on the gas and let off of it repeatedly, the noise would come and go ....

Well I was in the left lane on I-77? I think it was around Lake Norman, NC going about 75 when to my surprise. .. ... .... Blamo !

The nut on the differential pinion gear came off. The pinion went into the Diff and locked the ring gear.

Well......... it was locked for a second or so after that the pinion was blown through the bottom of the diff....

I thought the transmission had fallen out in the road and I ran over it. Yeah I know that sounds stupid but that's what it felt like at the time. Of course the driveshaft beating the poop out of the bottom of the truck while doing 75 mph down the road didn't help to calm things.

You might want to check the nut to make sure it's tight even if your problem is the torque converter.

Thought you might be interested in seeing the end result ...checkout the picture.

Washman

Attachments

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Wow! That must have been scary as hell...Glad you didn't lose control of anything. Never seen a rear diff blow open like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah that same thing happend to me and the odd part was it was the inner bearing to the pinion and it got stuck in between the ring and pinion it blew a hole in mine but of course i was only doing 40 or so in heavy traffic luckely i didnt hit anyone the nut on the yoke somehow backed off the pinion and my driveshaft was also beathing the poo out of my truck. same exact thing push and let of the gas and it would make a roaring sound a bad roaring sound. hehe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.