DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Doc
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know how Mother Mopar put the screwin' on us with these lousy transmissions. Let's face it, neither Mopar or DC has come up with a decent trans in some time. With that in mind, what component(s) is responsible for this dismal performance? My first guess was the torque converter, but am also wondering if it isn't just poor design. The opinion and fact cafe' is now open for business.
The Doc..... :cool:

·
Registered
489 Posts
dr.porsche said:
We all know how Mother Mopar put the screwin' on us with these lousy transmissions. Let's face it, neither Mopar or DC has come up with a decent trans in some time. With that in mind, what component(s) is responsible for this dismal performance? My first guess was the torque converter, but am also wondering if it isn't just poor design. The opinion and fact cafe' is now open for business.
The Doc..... :cool:
Anything that has to be turned is taking power from your wheels. The friction in the motor all the way back to the friction at the wheel bearings and turning the heavy wheels. With that, we can take a stab at guessing, but it would be very hard to pick something out and say that is it. I am looking to replace my torque converter right now and APS claims the factory unit is complete junk. While it may be worse than, say, GMs unit, it is more likely a combination of things more than one piece individually.

Todd

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...yea...I was thinkn the torque converter too....

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've heard that people that have replaced the torque convertor have showed no gains in RWHP. So I don't think that's it. I would like to see a before and after dyno graph. Especially since APS claims that the stock one is crap and theirs is so much more efficient.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
rock1 said:
I've heard that people that have replaced the torque convertor have showed no gains in RWHP. So I don't think that's it. I would like to see a before and after dyno graph. Especially since APS claims that the stock one is crap and theirs is so much more efficient.
All stock torque converters are crap - that's where they cut costs. Most people could care less if they have a 14% parasitic loss through the converter, so the manufacturers can cheat there. Same thing with exhaust manifolds - cheap, restrictive, etc.

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
From what I have seen of the internals of the tranny... I like it, I will like it a lot more when we have real upgrades for it... I am sure any good aftermarket conveter will be superior to the factory unit in certain areas.... but we have seen some failures with the aftermarket converters.....

TJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.