DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a f*cking day. I was on my way to college for my evening classes and started out driving about a 10 mile stretch. Slowed to turn onto another highway and when I let off the gas I heard a humming noise. It kinda vibrated the truck too. I pushed in the clutch and the noise stopped. Let out the clutch and the noise started. When I pushed on the gas there was no noise either, but ONLY when I let off the gas and coasted while in gear. I then turned onto the highway and it shifted fine all the way to 5th gear with no noises or problems. Well I called my buddy up who is a mechanic and he said he would have to look at it when I got home from school. Well I get off the phone with him and I decide to listen again, so I let out the gas and this time the noise got louder than ever and my whole truck was vibrating badly. So I decided I better pull over and see what was going on. Well when I let off the gas this time to slow down my back wheels locked up and I heard all kinds of crazy noises, clanking and scraping. I managed to keep it under control, my back wheels were locking and unlocking and completely locked up by the time I was off the road. Thankfully I was not doin 70+ when that happened. I get out and my driveshaft is laying on the ground, still connected to the transfer case in the front. I figured it was a U-Joint, but the U-joints were fine. It broke the piece off that goes into the differential. So I got the truck towed to a local shop and now I have to decide how to go about fixing it. I have to wait to see exactly what happened, I'm thinking Pinion bearing, and if I'm lucky it didnt get too hot before it all broke.

What do y'all suggest would be the easiest and cheapest way to get this all fixed? I am going to upgrade to 3.73 gears since I will probably have to replace the gears anyways. I am thinking about buying a whole new rearend if everything is screwed up, which with my luck most likely would be.

Please pray for me in my time of need :bawl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
put in 4.10s. i understand what a tight place you are in because i am going to school and living entirely off loans to the tune of $62,000 per year. truck repairs suck, but like you said, at least you weren't going faster and you're alive to tell the story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ppp1182 said:
put in 4.10s. i understand what a tight place you are in because i am going to school and living entirely off loans to the tune of $62,000 per year. truck repairs suck, but like you said, at least you weren't going faster and you're alive to tell the story.
I'd only be going with 3.73's to keep good gas mileage. I did see on another website that the only gears between 3.55's and 4.10's are 3.90's, is that true? will 3.73's not work in the 9.25" rear end?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
i don't think there are 3.73s for the 9.25. i have 3.92s and my highway mpg is ok (17 at 70) and my city mpg blow (9). then again, i am turning big-ish rubber and i have a tune on the pcm that dumps a little extra fuel into the ol' 360.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ppp1182 said:
i don't think there are 3.73s for the 9.25. i have 3.92s and my highway mpg is ok (17 at 70) and my city mpg blow (9). then again, i am turning big-ish rubber and i have a tune on the pcm that dumps a little extra fuel into the ol' 360.
Ok yeah must've been the 3.92's I saw. I'll probably go with that, I also have 285's. I'm lookin for a good locker right now too. I found a Detroit EZ Locker, about $260 on 4WheelParts.com, any recommendations? It will fit the 3.92's.
 

·
******* SPACESTATION
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
4.11s won't kill your highway mileage, and will actually help your city mileage. With 4.11s and 33s I only turn about 2400 doing 70 mph.
The lower gearing will help get the truck moving with less pedal and also take some of the strain off the clutch / pressure plate.

edit: and get the detroit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chizzle1 said:
4.11s won't kill your highway mileage, and will actually help your city mileage. With 4.11s and 33s I only turn about 2400 doing 70 mph.
The lower gearing will help get the truck moving with less pedal and also take some of the strain off the clutch / pressure plate.

edit: and get the detroit.
So get the detroit EZ Locker? Gonna put a dent in my pocket book, but I think I can get it.
 

·
******* SPACESTATION
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
I would get a Detroit before a powertrax.
I grenaded one of those in my old truck (which was only a V6 running 33s).
Installed a Detroit locker and it lasted until i sold the truck.
I don't know what the difference between a Detroit Locker and the EZ locker is, but Detroit hasn't made any crap items to date.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AWESOME NEWS!!!

Turns out it was only the pinion bearing and nothing else was damaged. Shop said it will be done Thursday. The only downside is now I'm not re-gearing. Oh well, I'll just be happy to have my truck back. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
Damn that is some good news, considering what the alternative might have been. Let us know how it rides when you get it back, and how much it set you back!
 

·
******* SPACESTATION
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
you are going to get the driveshaft checked for balance before you bolt it up right?

Or atleast have them run it up to speed (slowly) at the shop to see if you get any vibrations before you take it out on the road.
With all that banging around, d-shaft could be out of balance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chizzle1 said:
you are going to get the driveshaft checked for balance before you bolt it up right?

Or atleast have them run it up to speed (slowly) at the shop to see if you get any vibrations before you take it out on the road.
With all that banging around, d-shaft could be out of balance.
Definately.
 

·
******* SPACESTATION
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
found a Detroit EZ Locker, about $260 on 4WheelParts.com, any recommendations? It will fit the 3.92's.
can you provide a link for the EZ locker you found for $260. I can't find it on 4wheelparts.com
If they have one that cheap for the chrysler 9.25 I may get one.
 

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
Joined
·
2,725 Posts
chizzle1 said:
I would get a Detroit before a powertrax.
I grenaded one of those in my old truck (which was only a V6 running 33s).
Installed a Detroit locker and it lasted until i sold the truck.
I don't know what the difference between a Detroit Locker and the EZ locker is, but Detroit hasn't made any crap items to date.
I concur, I've already scattered a Pwertrax too. I'll be doing either a detroit locker or a full-on spool next spring. My current Powertrax has been rock solid, but I still don't fully trust it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got my truck back today! I'm so happy, I had to drive around a piece of shit explorer for a few days. But I'm good now. And the repairs plus an oilchange only cost me $220. :rck:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top