DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure how else to describe it ... its a vibration of sorts and it comes on around 30/35 and you can feel it up to 40, then its gone

its this a V6 thing ?

tranny thing ?

Out of balance thing ???

what would you guess ?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I guess first thing you'd want to do is check your U-joints. Is your driveshaft aluminium? If it is it could be out of round. We had a customer years back with a brand spanking new Ford Econoline. He was a courier and used up his warranty quickly. Anyhoo, he came into the shop one day complaing of a vibration. Turns out his aluminium driveshaft somehow became "bent." There wasn't any evidence of him hitting anything....it kinda just happened.

If that's not it I would go after tire balance and maybe rear axle/pinion bearing. Or even a transmission mount.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok here's the answer and I'm posting this specifically for any other Van guys that may run across the same problem

to start out with, let me say I have a full size / short wheel base RAM Wagon 1500

its a V6 auto without overdrive tranny

After several days of having several shops check out several things, here is the findings:

A shop checked out the U-Joints = they are tight (a good thing)

A tranny shop checked out both the transmission and the rear end = both have no problems

I have new shocks, a new FE Alignment, and newer tires = all balaced out fine

What the heck could the problem be ?

I'll tell ya:

Lack of power

We did a lot of testing at the tranny shop (and the owner drives a 92 Dodge Van) and he knew the problem as soon as we got him involved

Imagine this:

lets say you are driving a stick shift car for the first time, and you take off and shift from 1st to 3rd

you know that kinda buzz in the driveline feeling ? Thats exactly what I was experiencing.... and it was only around 35 MPH and disappeared by 40 MPH

He said it happens when the torque converter kicks in

He said he could drop the tranny and check the converter, but thought it would check out fine, and would be a big waste of money on my part.....

So = after a lot of checking and several trips to different repair shops

Now I (and we) all know

I would bet its just a V6 without auto overdrive tranny kinda thing

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You definitely wouldn't want the OD tranny with the V6....it would lug like crazy trying to keep up speed. In my opinion that 3.9L was way underpowered for truck applications.

What rear end gearing are you running in that van?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
That's what I have and my 5.2L struggles a bit with the OD on. Of course I have a fully loaded long wheelbase conversion van (read: HEAVY). I'd like to swap to either 3.92 or 4.10 Sure-Grip

Your van would probably benefit from the 3.92...get a little more oomph out of that V6 without too much increase in RPM.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guess that will be something else to add to the "to do list"

might as well add the trac loc while we are in there

its only money I guess

L O L

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Yeah it's only money, but hey, by spending the money you're making the van "yours" and something that you will be happy with. :)

·
vanner
519 Posts
I put the 3.92 gears in my v8 van, made a nice improvement, very happy with it.

If I werent towing, I probably would never had done it.

It was worth the $800 to get a much better performing van.

·
vanner
519 Posts
I agree.

·
Registered
158 Posts
same exact problem with my '96 3.9L. i came to the same conclusion.

i was hoping upgrading from the stock 3.21's to 3.55's might help, but i guess not. :(

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts

he-he, lol

The DW's B1500 w/ 3-spd V6 buzzed too. It was an easy fix. A few large washers to mount the heat shield next to the dog-house back on. The dog-house has a heat shield and so does the engine under body area. Well, that heat-shild wrap started flapping loose as they worked loose beyond the nuts that held them.

The old saying of, flapping the the breeze, applies here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
stev said:

he-he, lol
this forum is chock full of great info; info that i've been needing. :D

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd be willing to try that, but I'm pretty sure its a driveline buzz, not a buzz from a vibration

I will be happily surprised if this fixes it though !

thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
i'm feeling what you're describing, and it's sounds like a lack of power to me too. *shrug*

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.