DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '95 Ram1500 Laramie SLT 4X4 short box extended cab with 412,000 Km on it. The body and interior are in excellent condition and it still runs fine but the engine, trans, and just about everything else that make it run is worn out.

Here is my question. Is it possible to swap the entire drive train for a diesel engine and a 3/4 or 1 ton diff. and suspension. I Know it won't be an easy swap and some modifications would probably have to be made but I really want to turn the truck into a beefy 5th wheel hauler.

Thanks for any advise you can offer
Bart

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
your gonna need pretty much a new frame. if you can find a rolling dodge chassis in good shape with the diesel setup then go with that, but otherwise i would get a new truck.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Big Joe SS/T said:
i would get a new truck.
X2

Sorry... He's right. The cost, time, and head aches invloved would kill ya unless you're really bored, and really rich, and really know what your doing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
412,000 miles. I think your truck has more than paid it's dues. I'd retire her and get a new one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry didnt see it was kilometers, thats still about 256,000 miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys,
I knew it might be difficult but it's beginning to sound more like impossible.
I was willing to spend $15,000 - $20,000 but by the sounds of it that may not be enough. I have built and restored a number of trucks including a '57 1/4 mile racer but this undertaking may be over my head.

Thanks again for your advice (warnings)
Bart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.