DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rollin On 4:56's
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of something about drilling holes in our TB's. Can anyone shed some light on this? Like where to drill the holes, how many, what size, what are the benefits/drawbacks? Maybe some pics too?

·
Registered
380 Posts
:huh:

Your not talking about drilling into the thermostat housing to bleed off air are you???? There are a few posts that cover that, but Ive never heard of drilling into your TB. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I have.... But its been to fix idle problems...... BUT, Ive never seen or know anyone that has done it.

·
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is the possibility i'm a bit off on it, but I could have sworn I heard about that. I don't have an idle problem, but my idle used to sit at about 6-700, and for the past few years it stays a constant 500.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i saw this thread a long time ago on here..
i beleive it had to do with the drive by wire setup.. someone said drill a small hole in one of the sensors located on the throttle body.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
I don't have an idle problem, but my idle used to sit at about 6-700, and for the past few years it stays a constant 500.
I see in your signature you're running a Superchips. If it's completely updated, you should have a raised idle.

Superchips sets the idle at 680-700 RPM. It shouldn't idle down to 500.

Sil

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
I have only heard about drilling into a TB spacer

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
There is the possibility i'm a bit off on it, but I could have sworn I heard about that. I don't have an idle problem, but my idle used to sit at about 6-700, and for the past few years it stays a constant 500.
yeah, but that's why we love you! :D

Air in the TB that way would bypass the filter. Doesn't sound like such a great idea.
I think he's talking about the blade, not the housing.

·
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see in your signature you're running a Superchips. If it's completely updated, you should have a raised idle.

Sil
I'm glad you brought that up Sils. I have had SC since 05, and have updated it every other month without fail, reprogrammed the hemi, and still have the idle at 500. I just updated it 2 days ago. I have never seen an idle adjustment on my 3815(if thats what your talking about).

·
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, but that's why we love you! :D
Awwwwwww. Does that mean if I piss off the wife and she throws me out, you would take me in :worthy:

I think he's talking about the blade, not the housing.
Yup, thats what I have heard, the blade.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just drilling into the butterfly would raise the idle due to the fact that your introducing more air to the engine with the butterfly closed. If thats what your trying to accomplish then I dont see why that wouldnt work. Just start with a small hole and work your way up until you get the idle speed you desire. We did the same thing to 4 barrels only we would adjust the linkage so the butterflys would stay open just a bit more, instead of drilling a hole. Good Luck!!!

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,379 Posts

Sil
;)

i'm also considering this to help smooth out my idle. i have some more testing to do w/ the towing & 87 tunes, but as of now on 91 the idle is bouncing between 500-720 & stalling at almost every stop. so far towing hasn't done it, but i only have 15 miles on it or so. i haven't tried stock recently, but it never did it before stock.

throttle body is cleaned, just seafoamed the truck, truck had plugs & wires done under 2k mile ago.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
;)

i'm also considering this to help smooth out my idle. i have some more testing to do w/ the towing & 87 tunes, but as of now on 91 the idle is bouncing between 500-720 & stalling at almost every stop. so far towing hasn't done it, but i only have 15 miles on it or so. i haven't tried stock recently, but it never did it before stock.

throttle body is cleaned, just seafoamed the truck, truck had plugs & wires done under 2k mile ago.
See if your truck has had TSB flash done:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2005/18-013-05.htm

After I got it done at the dealer, this solved some idle issues (stalling) in my 2004.

Sil

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,379 Posts
when i did the plugs/wires i had a friend whos a dodge tech do all the software updates available for my truck. i dont have a list of what was done, but i would think it would be in there unless its just come out in the last month.

does flashpaq list the flashes?

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
when i did the plugs/wires i had a friend whos a dodge tech do all the software updates available for my truck. i dont have a list of what was done, but i would think it would be in there unless its just come out in the last month.

does flashpaq list the flashes?
Give the dealership your VIN, and have them check if that TSB was applied. Take a copy of the TSB with you. My '04 stalled at idle. After that update, it went away.

Sil

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,379 Posts
i'll give them a call & see what they say. the closest one is an hr away, all the other dealerships have closed.

whats typical price of a flash? i'm obviously not under warranty.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,379 Posts
another thing i thought of...

since everything is computer controlled, IF i drill a small hole in the throttle blade plate will the computer just close the plate more to compensate for the additional air coming in??? thus making the mod ineffective to what i'm trying to do, raise the idle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.