DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 97 Ram 1500 318 4x4 Reg Cab now, but I find that it's too small. :) It also drinks gas. I've been toying with the idea of upsizing to a bigger truck and getting a diesel to save on gas/get more towing capacity. Got a few questions though....

1.) I've been meaning to go test drive some trucks, but havent had the time...i'm wondering what the performance differences are between the trucks. The truck i've got now is not an SRT-10 by any means, but it moves. How will the diesel compare?

2.) I don't do any regular long trips or heavy hauling. I've been told by some people that if you don't use the diesels for long or heavy hauls, that you'll blow head gaskets and such easily and that it's generally not good for the truck? Anybody out there use their diesel as just their personal everyday truck? Any problems? What can I expect?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mavrick

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Diesels are really loud and heavy. They are best suited to towing or offroading (in dry conditions since heavy diesel engines sink in the mud). They have great low end torque. I would not bother with one unless you need the low end torque.

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
low rev potential and other than having a low horsepower rating for the big amount of torque they put out, they're not bad

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
canyonD said:
Diesels are really loud and heavy.
Loud? Old ones are loud but the new ones aren't any louder than a Hemi

The new diesels aren't much slower than a V8. Once you own a diesel you probably wouldn't go back to a gas powered pickup.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
2005's are 325HP

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
they dont wanna rev fast and they redline at about 4k rpm, and as for the horsepower rating, from the factory you can get a cummings that has 600ft/lbs of torque and 250 horsepower (just as an example) but you can also make extremely high amount of horsepower with aftermarket accessories, banks performance makes some of the best diesel performance parts around, a programmer can net you about 100+ horsepower and about 200+ ft/lbs, an upgraded turbo can get you good power as well, and a turbo-back exhaust system is a must

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
They don't wanna rev fast? I go about a hundred feet and I am already in 3rd gear. As far as HP and torque there is only one diesel now, 325/610, they don't have the SO and HO anymore.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think all the gasser owners smoke too much crack! I have a "loud" rattley diesel that isn't much louder than a gas motor with dual exhaust and I have 2 5" stacks on it with no muffy. The new ones are hard to hear running at all with the new pulse port. I have no issues at all with mine not wanting to rev up. Redline from factory on mine is 3200 Rpm and that is singin it right along on the street. I know that the newer ones are 325HP and 610TQ and they will keep up with any gas pickup that is box stock. They will also out pull a gasser any day of the week. The only thing that could set you back is if you only drive like 2 miles to work. You have to let the motor warm all the way up to operating temps when you run it. You will kill one off pretty quick if all you ever do is start it and hammer it around the block then shut it off again. For mileage you can get 15-23 mpg with a diesel vs the 10-12 that most of the gassers get. How do you go wrong with that???

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
The only problem with the Cummins' is that they're expensive. For example, I just picked up my '96 for $3600, if it had a Cummins it would have cost $10,000+ . Plus, diesel fuel costs 30 cents more per gallon than regular here. With the higher intitial purchase cost and higher fuel cost it would take a me a long time to recover that in fuel mileage savings. My truck will probably see less than 10,000 miles per year, so I REALLY won't get my money back from fuel mileage savings. If I towed, I'd probably get one.
I'm not bashing them though, I'd love to have one. It just doesn't make sense for me in my personal financial situation to purchase one. I guess what I mean is don't buy one if they ONLY reason you want one is they get better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
KJRich said:
T For example, I just picked up my '96 for $3600, if it had a Cummins it would have cost $10,000+ .
Bingo, you just showed why it won't cost you a dime for a diesel. $6600 more for an initial $5500 investment, sounds like a pretty good return to me. :D

If you never plan on trading your truck in then a diesel isn't right for you but if you plan on trading it in in 2, 5, or even 10 years then you will get every penny you paid out back and then some. And all that time you will be saving on fuel because they are getting 30% better fuel mileage and in your case only costing 10% more at the pump.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
True. I'm not bashing. Its not worth it for me personally, since my truck will not see more than 10,000 miles per year and never tow anything heavy. I also don't need a payment which a Cummins would require. I have a 32 mpg car for everyday. But would I like to have a Cummins? Hell yes! If I had enough money I would. But its not worth it to me, if its just to say I have a Cummins.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You just have ot sop around and be prepared to jump on a good deal. I bought our 2001 dieselfor 14000. It has 120000 miles but it still books at around 20000. I could trade it in now and make good money on the deal. I drive it daily for work and tow once in a whiel but it gets bettter mileage than our toyota. I get at least 17 with mixed town and highway, andcan get 20 on the highway.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Diesels are great for long hauls and highway trips. In Iraq we would do 4-hour long one-way trips without a problem, the trucks weren't blowing head gaskets or anything like that. The problems that popped up were due to the way we were running them, getting shot at doing 10-12 hours of driving every night for a year, we ran these trucks hard and the engines just asked for more. The HMMWVs GM Diesel had more problems then the Caterpillar C12 found in the 7-tons, but they still held up to abuse damn good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My prob with the cummings dies is that they are the largest suporter of gun control in the usa and have been for quite along time bet you didnt know that check with the nra before you blow up at me example 2005 2500 w/cummins=1200.00 to taking YOUR guns dont know baout you but they will have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands btw i went with the 360 gas and a riffle in the back window

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
That totally sucks if its true! I know so many hunters around here with Cummins trucks, too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd love to have a CTD Ram.
Problem is, I can't afford/justify the $5k option, AND justify the $.30 more per gal to operate. True, the mileage would be an improvement over my gasser, but (IMO) not $5k worth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't underestimate the Cummins. They can hold ther own when it comes to speed and power. That crap you heard about blowing a head gasket if you don't pull trailers is a bunch of bull. I have a 2001 Ram 2500 with the 24 valve cummins high output. It has never pulled a trailer and it has had no problems and can keep up with just about any truck. Go with the diesel! You won't regret it. :rck:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Downside to diesel

As one other post stated, if you don't need the torque and pulling power you don't need a diesel. They do get a little better gas milage than your standard large gas engines do. I have had a 04 for 2 years. Got 24K miles on it now and it is super for pulling my 5th wheel trailer. You can almost cruse control up any hill at 60 to 65 mph if you wanted to. My trailer only weighs around 8K loaded. The truck can handle a lot more. I plan to get a bigger trailer later on and didn't want to have to buy another truck. Lots of luck with your truck shopping. Stick with your standard V8 half ton if you don't plan on pulling..

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I didn't need it... I got it for the sole purpose of the goodies you can throw at it and the performance advatnages it has over the gasser. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.