DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Leap Frog
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001, with 62,000 on it, is downshifting as soon as I let off the accelerator. It just started yesterday, but seems to be doing it regardless of gear or speed. I don't know when the fluid was last flushed.

The only other thing I can think of... The ambient temperature is near 90 for the first time soince I got the truck. Engine temp is holding uder 190 according to the gauge.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Geof

·
Registered
50 Posts
To be clear, you mean the R.P.M. goes up when you let off the throttle.

If you let completely off the throttle it should unlock the T/C and coast nearly at idle. That should not have changed in the last day or so. Does it change if you lightly push on the brake? Again if you lightly push on the peddle it should unlock the T/C, even with you foot on the throttle.

Randy

·
Leap Frog
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct. The RPM was jumping up and bogging me down just as if I were downshifting is a stick or shifting out of overdrive to use the engine to brake.

It was happening as soon as I let off the pedal even in town at 40 mph.

Yesterday, the problem did not appear. The outside temp was 15 degrees coooler if that has anything to do with it.

I am leaving Wednesday for a 2500 mile trip to NC and back. This weekend, the oil gets changed and I should have time to check other things.\

I'll try touching the brake if it happens again.

Thanks to Randy and all,

Geof

·
Registered
842 Posts
has the tranny ever been serviced? You are supposed to adjust bands and crap in them every 20-25k when you change fluid and filter.

·
Leap Frog
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the truck with 58k on it. Teh previous owner is the owner of a trucking company and had the truck in for all of the scheduled maintenance. I checked the fluids. No burnt smell. Good color.

It hasn't acted up since Tuesday. I just don't want to be stuck 1000 miles from home if this is an early of a common problem rearing its head.

Thanks for the replies.
Geof

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.