DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who haul our race cars or race boats or any other thing used to compete for cash there is trouble brewing. Laws pertaining to towing said vehicle could leave a lot of us in hot water with the DOT if we are not careful.

Check out the following link for info.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/deadon/vii_7-1.html

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
thanks fro the heads up bro this is not a good thing just my 2 cents

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, where's the shame in running legal? I drove OTR for years, and the logbook is easy enough to do, as is obtaining the physical exam. The rest is common sense and saftey.

Besides, racers aren't likely to be singled out so much as are all overpowered, under-braked (so to speak) diesel pickups with tandem or other big trailers. Plenty of those guys are getting up over 26,000-lb combinations (ought to see the oil field service guys) and are evading serious safety concerns for us all . . . they can't meet the safety redundancy of air brake systems.

Write your legislator. Seems like 10m is too low. Or install lots of heavy tint windows. fake appliances and slap GOOD SAM stickers all over ganny and gampys "RV", ha!

Or give up the IRS "goodies" we poah folk occasionally get to use.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no shame in running legal. That is why I posted this, so people could see what is happening and see what the new laws are or may soon be.

We also just had a new law passed in our state or it is the process of being passed that any trailer rated for 3000lb. or greated must be inspected anually where previously it had to be rated for 10,000lbs.

These are all things that have been passed by word of mouth and i just thought I would continue so that people could be prepared and get their towing operations up to date.

Just another expense for the little guy to absorb.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
In Canada if you are pulling over 10,000 pounds (and RV trailers are not exempt from this) you also need a Class A licence. There was a big article in a Toronto paper about it a couple of weeks ago.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ram3500Dually said:
In Canada if you are pulling over 10,000 pounds (and RV trailers are not exempt from this) you also need a Class A licence. There was a big article in a Toronto paper about it a couple of weeks ago.

Is this the total weight of the trailer or total combined weight. Here in the states the new "rules" are targeted at 10,000lbs combined weight which I feel is a little on the low side.
I travel to Canada a couple of times a year to drag race at Sanair, approximately 40 miles east of Montreal, so i'm concerned about any laws you have pertaining to towing. I don't want to get caught with my pants down so to speak in another country.
Currently my trailer combo is well under 10,000lbs, but the total package is well over 10,000.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Total weight of the truck, trailer and any contents

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
In Ontario the HTA clearly states for a "G" class licensed driver
1)Trailer and contents cannot exceed 10120lbs. or class A is required
2)Combined gross wt of truck, trailer and contents cannot exceed 24200lbs
I dont think the Quebec laws will be much different.

Moparracer, your setup sounds almost identical to mine in wt. We would be both well under the limits of trailer(+contents) and combined gross of the whole setup. I can not see them looking twice at you up here.

They have setup sweeps on Kohler road between Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga/Ont/Cda) and highway #3 on a couple occassions over the years.
They ticketed and towed based on the above from all accounts I heard.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think there ought be some sort of test, on a state level, when getting a trailer. For both professional and private use. I've seen a LOT of careless trailering. Cutting corners short, and the biggest issue, the inability to back up. If you trailer your car or boat, you need to be able to back it up. Boat owners especially. For entertainment, take a trip to the local boat launch, and watch these guys make repeated attempts to get lined up to the ramp. It hilarious!

Us weekend warriors (car guys) at least have some mechanical inclination, and respect for the trailer.

BTW, I have a 16' open/tandem/ car hauler, with surge brakes on the leading axle.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
You are exactly right about the trailer weights in Ontario, I was wrong. I thought it was total combination weight but it isn't. I have an ACMZ licence so I never bothered to check up on it.
The biggest thing I have heard from Racers around Cayuga and Grand Bend is them stopping guys with enclosed trailers and ticketing them for not having a TDG certificate for hauling dangerous goods, IE: more than 5 gallons of fuel in a container

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I like to have everything legal and right when I travel. It makes for a much more enjoyable trip. It seems that my own state is starting to crack down on us now.
I purposly bought the V-10 QC, LB, knowing it would be more than enough truck for my car and trailer. Now it may be overweight because of this 10,000 lb law. We just can't win. My old truck was a SC, 5.9 4x4 and with car, open trailer and way too many tools, had a combined weight of 10200lbs.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Fiqured it would have to happen in Wisconsin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.