DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm noticing some jerky motion when coming to a stop so I'll be pulling off the wheels to have a looksie at the drums, rotors, pad, calipers of all 4 brakes.
Any ideas what to check and look out for.
Ive done brakes a-plenty on my other vehicles, this being my first Ram though.
Drum brakes, Im a little vague on as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is most likely hot spot on your rotors from hard stops. I have had the same thing problem in the past. Took my rotors to a machine shop and had them turned. Enough to remove the hot spots and true them up. Also, it is a very good idea to put new brake pads on at the same time. Hope this is of some help to you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I have warped or gouged rotors I usually just buy new ones instead of grinding at a shop....seems to have been a cheaper route on my cars I've had.
Since I'll have the calipers off for inspection and are changing pads out, huh?
Quick and easy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you are going to replace the rotors, you might want to look at the slotted rotors. They are designed to dissipate the heat.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
None of the model yrs with rear drum brakes self adjust very well, so be sure to run the starwheel up, then back off about 8-16 clicks. It is not unusual to be 80 clicks out of adjustment.

After making this adjustment, step down on your parking brake pedal and note how far down it goes. In the future you will now be able to do this and check how far out of adjustment your rear drum starwheel has become since the correct setting.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You may want to have your drums turned as well...they will give you a pulsing sensation when braking if they are out-of-round.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.