DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible? is it recomended? how hard is it? is there any how to threads/videos/writeups etc etc on doing one on a ram? i really dont have the money to pay someone. i have no engine building experiance. like to think of myself as some wat of a doit your selfer. thanks for your opinion:gr_patrio

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
mezei said:
is it possible? is it recomended? how hard is it? is there any how to threads/videos/writeups etc etc on doing one on a ram? i really dont have the money to pay someone. i have no engine building experiance. like to think of myself as some wat of a doit your selfer. thanks for your opinion:gr_patrio
Yes it's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it if it's your first time. Try to at least have another set of hands to help, not to mention someone else to help you think things through when you're doing it. Do lots of research and make sure you have all the needed tools. Do a search on cam installs and you should find plenty of info, here's a good one......
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121510

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
mezei said:

What state do you live in??

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in missouri about a hour from st louis.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i used to think i shouldnt even think about it but now im getting to the point where it seems possible if i did tons and tons preperation. i want to do other things to my truck but i want to get the worse out of the way first.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
I am still decently close if you decide its too much for you to handle,also you get a chance to watch and ask questions about it as its getting done so that may boost your confidence if you choose to open up the engine again for a swap of some kid.

I am 3 hours from Springfield and around 6 hours from St Louis if you cant find an installer any closer.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you haven't even seen a cam being done I wouldn't recomend doing it by yourself.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
your never gona learn something by not doing it! i have never cracked a motor open before i did my own cam swap (much less seen one done). took me a bit longer but hey i did it myself and it was my first attempt and with plenty of prep it was succesful the first time around. i tossed the idea around for a good 7-8 months before deciding to do it myself. alot easier than i thought and these trucks have tons of room to work on things so nothing is really a pita to get to. there are a few special tools ya need but nothing that requires a full blown shop.

prep work is the biggest thing that helped me. i had the damn write up memorized by the time i started doing the tear down :D in the end i was glad i did it myself, saved a few bucks and learned a lot, plus its easier to understand the issues that can arise with your motor when you've been in there and seen what it looks like

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
GrimReaper said:
your never gona learn something by not doing it! i have never cracked a motor open before i did my own cam swap (much less seen one done). took me a bit longer but hey i did it myself and it was my first attempt and with plenty of prep it was succesful the first time around. i tossed the idea around for a good 7-8 months before deciding to do it myself. alot easier than i thought and these trucks have tons of room to work on things so nothing is really a pita to get to. there are a few special tools ya need but nothing that requires a full blown shop.

prep work is the biggest thing that helped me. i had the damn write up memorized by the time i started doing the tear down :D in the end i was glad i did it myself, saved a few bucks and learned a lot, plus its easier to understand the issues that can arise with your motor when you've been in there and seen what it looks like

Same here, I didn't even know what a cam or pushrod looked like when I tore mine apart and installed a cam. As long as you are meticulous in your prep and take your time it can be done.

·
1,965 Posts
I would get a set of long tube headers first if you don't have them i didn't see them listed in your sig..what cam are you looking at?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If your truck is your only transportation DONT DO IT! But if you have other transportation that you can use if the install takes longer than you expected (and it will) then by all means go for it. You will gain a new respect for the miracle we call the internal combustion engine; and you get to add the moniker "gear head" to your man card.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
If you've been thinking about it and have everything in order, it's worth a shot. Just be very meticulous. I watched Brian triple check his work. I think that's an extremely important part of the install and something Brian stressed to me throughout. If you decide to install the cam, post pictures! :)

Sil

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
I watched one of the "installers from DT" doing my Cam, certainly something I could have done myself. It is just that little unknown "what if?" that was holding me back.
Other reasons also where, what to tell the wife when the truck is in the garage for 2 days and fluids all over the place.....

If you have someone to back you up if needed it can be done for a 1st timer!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have printed out that write up that one of the members have made. i do plan on memorising it since i am in no rush. for headers im going to put them on i just want to get the worst out of the way first. everyone has pretty much talked me out of the 6.1 cam and i think thats smart looking at it more. so im thinking a 260 or something around there. lol i dont have to worry about the wife problem im 17. :) ive talked to my mom and shes like if thats what you wanna do then you better not mess any thing up.

slammed1 thanks again for you offer. i am not yet in the position to make any choices just yet. i just wanna get all my peices together first. but ive thought about you before and i still think i may make the trip down to you if it wont be a problem with you.

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts
hey man i watched/helped the first time i ever did a cam install and i learned from that

in 3 weeks i have to turn in my fianly paper for my technical english class its a how to install a cam and heads on the hemi it will have pictures of the engine like 03 ramits but step by step with a parts list included

also its easy for me to say now yeah its easy but doing it the first time if you have never been in a engine before don't think thats to smart...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
if you do it yourself jsut keep a couple of our numbers on hand. and if your anything like me, pics and a book just plain suck for learning. if your able to pull stuff apart and put it back together and have a mechanically apt mind i dont see this being that big a deal.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think im going to do it. im going to wait untill its warmer so i have plunty of time to think everything over before i open the hood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.