DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check this out. This is like my perfect height but does how he did it make any sense to anybody? i'm not quite sure but it looks good. Hyperlink isn't working so just copy and paste. http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com/
mygallery.ten?id=6811
(copy and paste url and take space out between slash and mygallery. it wouldn't work unless i did it this way for some reason.)

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Nice looking Durango. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure how he did the lift, but it certainly sounds custom engineered. Sounds kinda involved, may as well do an SAS if you want a real science project.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe. I dunno, there's a big difference between 3000+ and a couple hundred bucks. It may take work but that i can do, i just don't have the money for all new axles, wheels, tires, odds and ends. wish i did though!

·
Banned
8,865 Posts

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Here is the description of the custom lifted Red Durango:

Custom 4-1/2" Suspension Lift 1/1/2005 Amalgamated lift: Torsion bar keyway from a Chevy application cranked to give 4-1/2" of lift; 3-1/2" forward leaf spring drop brackets from a Ford application; 2-1/2" Bell-Tech rear drop shackles for a Chevy application. The numbers might throw you off, but the truck does sit level and is 4-1/2" taller than before.

Front fenders were trimmed and flares removed to accomodate the Swampers and 3-1/2" offset wheels.

Custom Lengthened Rear Driveshaft - I tore up 2 rear driveshaft joints due to the leaf spring drop brackets putting the rear end way out of factory spec. The last time it broke I had them make me a custom driveshaft that is longer than stock to compensate for the lifted rear end.

Now for the life of me, I cannot figure out how he can get 4.5" of lift on the front torsion bars and have any suspension droop left. He would have to have new control arms made to accomadate that lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after zooming in and looking closer, i think he's really only got a t/s lift and a body lift. if you zoom in on the first pic of the front suspension, there's no drop bracketry and the angle of the arms are about right for a torsion bar crank. that and if he did have 4.5 inches of suspension plus a 3" body that would put it at 7.5" of lift which would dwarf those 33" swampers. it just doesn't add up. what do you think canyon?

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Yeah, I think that guy doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing.

The front mounts for the leaf springs will indeed raise the rear up compared to a Standard TS lift, but I just dont understand how one can get 4.5" of lift by using torsion keys.

Even if you could raise the torsion bar fulcrum (which is all the TS lift or torsion keys do, you have a set amount of suspension travel as a function of the control arm pivot distance. If you raise the front suspension by continueing to raise the torsion bar fulcrum, you run out of front suspension droop. This seems like a very poor lift option.

When driving on or offroad, the ability for the tire to travel down in the suspension setup is as important as the ability for the tire to travel up in the suspension. If you limit the downward travel, the tire will not travel down into potholes or offroad holes.

Since you can fit 33" tires with a TS lift, why even bother with a body lift or any other type of lift?

33" tires are really the biggest that the Durango can effectively handle. While a bit more suspension lift than the TS provides would be nice to clear obstacles, the comprimises and significantly higher prices of these lifts seem unjustified.

For all hte work that guy went thru, he would have been much better off time and money wise if he got the Tough Country 5.5 lift.

If I wanted any larger tires than 33", I would definitely do a SAS.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That is BodyLift.....and why in the name of God do people lift a truck like that and then have Nerf's? You lift it 4-5" and then give up 1-2 for a freaking nerf? I never understood it, course this D doesnt look like it will ever get to muddy......so high centering on those nerfs prob isnt much concern huh.....

This is a body lift though...you can see the spacers between the frame and body easily.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
yes I agree that he has a body lift, but he also has installed lift blocks on the front leaf spring mounts so the rear is clearly higher than you can go with a Shackle lift alone. Not sure what he did up front, but a 4.5" torsion bar lift seems illogical.

·
from lowrider 2 Offroader
128 Posts
I don't think his sits any higher than mine does? what do ya'll think? I got the standard body lift with torsions cranked 10 turns and shackle kit. I thought I bought rims with too little of backspacing, my rims don't stick out that much. One thing, I'm glad I have stock running boards to cover up that unsightly gap between his nerf bars and body.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i agree with blazin. i don't think that thing has a total of 7.5" of lift. thats what i was tryin to say earlier but probably didn't state it very well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.