DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed in my 06 CTD when I keep her plugged in overnight, that the truck will put out white smoke during my drive to work. But when I drive it home after 9 hours of sitting in the same 20* unplugged, there is no white smoke. By smoke I mean the white crap that you see gassers pump out when the temp drops. My fear is that the block being warm is causing moisture to condense inside the engine somewhere. It was my understanding that diesel's don't create any moisture during combustion or whatever and that is why they never pump out the white stuff, so the fact that mine is smoking has me worried. Do I have anything to worry about? Thanks.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,086 Posts
Interesting, all I have is black smoke;D

BTW nice name

·
Registered
76 Posts
There was a TSB reflash for long crank and white smoke on first startup of the day. Can not find it right now. Your 06 falls under that TSB.

Smoke while driving depends on your engine temperature and outside air temperature.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm not too sure that it's smoke but I know what you're talking about; I think it's steam or something....kinda like when you see your breath on a cold day . I've noticed that my truck does it too for about the first ten minutes of driving and seems to do it more when the truck has been plugged in.....I think it's normal, I don't worry about it, the truck starts and runs good, and I'm not making oil or losing coolant......
Also temps have to be down in the 20's or colder before I really notice the "smoke".

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
white smoke= unburnt diesel in most cases

yeah the black stuff is not un burnt diesel, it's just a by product of burnin the diesel really fast

i heard that somewhere anyway:crazy:

·
Registered
916 Posts
white smoke= unburnt diesel in most cases

yeah the black stuff is not un burnt diesel, it's just a by product of burnin the diesel really fast

i heard that somewhere anyway:crazy:
Black smoke is also unburnt diesel and yes white smoke on startup can mean injector problems if it is indeed smoke. White can also be coolant or just steam/condensation.
Burnin' diesel really fast won't cause ANY smoke if it is a complete burn.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
Black smoke is also unburnt diesel and yes white smoke on startup can mean injector problems if it is indeed smoke. White can also be coolant or just steam/condensation.
Burnin' diesel really fast won't cause ANY smoke if it is a complete burn.
oh ok

like i said i just heard that somewhere i don't really know too much about that stuff

:help:

·
Registered
916 Posts
oh ok

like i said i just heard that somewhere i don't really know too much about that stuff

:help:
I hear ya' I'm far from a pro myself but I learn something new everyday. The learning process has been one of the funnest parts of owning my truck.....that and listening to the turbo sing!:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
steam/condensation or white smoke

I've noticed in my 06 CTD when I keep her plugged in overnight, that the truck will put out white smoke during my drive to work. But when I drive it home after 9 hours of sitting in the same 20* unplugged, there is no white smoke. By smoke I mean the white crap that you see gassers pump out when the temp drops. My fear is that the block being warm is causing moisture to condense inside the engine somewhere. It was my understanding that diesel's don't create any moisture during combustion or whatever and that is why they never pump out the white stuff, so the fact that mine is smoking has me worried. Do I have anything to worry about? Thanks.
steam/condensation or white smoke ,

What does it smell like?
steam/condensation. will burn off in 10 to 15 feet
White smoke will stay 20+ feet
Whit smoke will burn your eyes

·
Registered
166 Posts
The block being warm is NOT causing moisture to condense inside the engine somewhere..

When the engine is cold the timing will advance to help eliminate the white smoke.

If your truck is parked in a garage and you have the block heater plugged in, the timing will be on a standard timing table when you first start the truck. This might account for white smoke when you first take off.

Next time you start the truck, take notice if the grid heaters come on and cycle.
They should in cold weather. this warms the air to help start the engine and helps eliminate the white smoke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.