DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kenneth Robert
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a funny noise from under the hood when my A/C cycles off. It sounds like a bearing going bad and grinding a bit, but it only occurs when the A/C is not on, or not engaged? A/C still blows cold.

Any ideas?

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
No bearing in the clutch fan. Could be an idle pulley though or anything rotating in there. Get an automotive stethoscope and do some probing while it is running

·
Kenneth Robert
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the idler pulley....it's defintely coming from that side just listening with the hood open. Does it get any tighter when the A/C engages?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had something like that a while back, the bearings were going out of my alt. To find what it was I ended up starting the truck with the main belt off for a sec, noise went away. Then I took compressed air and spun the idler pullies, nice and quiet. When I spun up the alt I could tell that was the one. Put a new alt in and she is good to go. It never showed any signs of not charging, worked perfect, it was just loud.

·
Busted Knuckle Garage
531 Posts
Take the belt off and spin all the pulleys by hand. Mine acted up when the idler pulley blew up.

·
Kenneth Robert
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it needs a new belt anyways so maybe I'll try changing it out this weekend and start spinning things. Either way, doesn't sound like too expensive of a fix...thanks for the help.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Be sure to let us know what the culprit was

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I'm getting a funny noise from under the hood when my A/C cycles off. It sounds like a bearing going bad and grinding a bit, but it only occurs when the A/C is not on, or not engaged? A/C still blows cold.

Any ideas?
At one time they had a pulley kit for the A/C compressor. It would replace the whole clutch assembly in the front of the A/C. I don’t know if you can still get them or not these days.

:dunno:

edit: I found this ....

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl249i.htm

:)

·
Kenneth Robert
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, dmc...I listened when I got home and it sounds like the A/C compressor is not spinning smoothly. The A/C is working fine....it's weird. Is there any kind of bearings in the A/C compressor? it's confusing....The A/C kicks in and the noise goes down...as soon as i turn the A/C off it gets louder. I wonder if it's ok to drive? The A/C is still working perfectly fine. I don't suppose I could hurt it any driving it, unless they can replace something in the A/c compressor to make it spin smoothly. Then again, I havn't taken the belt off to see if it's a pully but it sure sounds like the compressor.
By the way......this started right after I towed my boat down to the river. On the way down the A/C felt like it was getting warm so i just turned it off figuring it would be better to not use it pulling 5,000 lbs anyways. I know the engine was under load for awhile, but don't know why that would make a difference?
It's weird......I let ya'll know when I figure it out.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I don't believe towing had anything to do with it.

I'd find a shop that does tons of A/C for all the makes and models. If you can replace the front clutch-n-pulley assembly, they would have the books to look it up and find it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would check the easy stuff (read free) first. The sound might be changing when your AC clutch engages because of the additional load being put on the engine. So something else might be going wrong as mentioned above but the load of the AC is just changing the sound. If you need to replace the belt anyways I would do that first, spin everything you can and see if anything is worn out. If not throw the new belt on and then go spend the $$ to have somebody look at the AC. Food for thought, throw your old belt in a plastic bag and put it in the truck, that way you will never get stranded should it break.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
The problem has to be the A/C compressor or pulley assembly. If the problem was the belt or tensioner, it would make noise all the time; his noise is only there when the A/C kicks in.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
sounds like the AC clutch is going out. Not a hard fix, borrow the tools from the parts store and get after it. Check it out with a stethoscope first tho.

·
Kenneth Robert
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After looking at it last night and this morning, it's the A/C clutch. I started off to work and got a mile away from my house and turned around to get the Mustang to drive to work. I don't want to screw up the compressor by having the clutch assembly break. I watched it cycle off and on and the whole clutch assembly was moving around more than it should.
I think I'll leave this one to my mechanic...I would try, but I think I need some tools I don't have. I'm hoping it's under 400 bones or so...
The part seems to be about 200 bucks....I figure a few hours of labor.....
*sigh*
At least I don't have a truck payment.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
i just went through the same thing on my truck. the ac stopped working one day, then starting working an hour later. later that nigh, my truck starting making a horrendous noise. its the a/c clutch. the pulley is almost impossible to spin by hand. i replaced my compressor with a reman from ebay for $165 shipped. so far so good.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Sweet ... keep us posted.

·
Northern Redneck
325 Posts
There IS a bearing in the AC clutch. If you hear squealing when the AC clutch is Disengaged, but goes away when the clutch engages, then the AC clutch needs replacing. I don't think you can just change the internal bearing, not sure.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts

Any ideas?
My R/T is doing this now too, I'm interested to find out the answer. I've already gone through belt alignment, a new idler, a new tensioner etc.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
My R/T is doing this now too, I'm interested to find out the answer. I've already gone through belt alignment, a new idler, a new tensioner etc.
It could also be the water pump or the alternator making the noise. I'd pull the belt and check each pulley one by one.

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
my wife's 4runner did the same thing about 3 weeks ago
started gridning and sounding awful when AC was off, stopped when the clutch kicked in and the belt tension pulled everything together, then one day, no more AC
i pulled the clutch to find it toast, then saw the bearing for the clutch assembly had gone bad and it ruined the spindle for the compressor. i think it stopped making the noise because the belt tension translated through the clutch and put enough force back on the bearing to hold it in place, but when it let go, it let the clutch section close its gap and grind
you likely have a bad clutch, bearing, AND spindle
if the bearing gets bad enough, it's going to trash the spindle as well
got the whole set up from the junkyard for 30 some bucks
bolted it up
recharged
it's never blown colder than it does now
the good thing about these dodges is they (like most OEM's) put the compressor up top
it was on the bottom of the engine on the wife's car
had to pull her skidplates, radiator, and skin from my knuckles to get it off

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.