DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've decided on Magnaflow. I hear great things about it and don't like the sound of losing bottom end or mpg possibly with flowmaster. The only problem now is which one? I know I want stainless so do I go with 5x8 or 5x11? Also, should I go 22", 24" or 30"? What does the width and lenth of the muffler matter anyway? :huh:

·
Registered
976 Posts
The longer the muffler the quieter it is, more length to absorb the sound. Flowmaster claims all of the series mufflers flow the same, 40, 50, 70, etc.. The larger cased mufflers are just quieter, so if you want loud, go small, if you want quiet, go large.
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ram4Pick,

I noticed you have the SRT-10 muffler on your truck... What size is that and where did you get it?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Since you drive a Hemi pick the biggest,longest
strait through flow design Magnaflow makes.
You still will have cab drone if it's a non baffled
muffler. It's the nature of the Hemi.

·
Registered
976 Posts
HEMImine said:
Ram4Pick,

I noticed you have the SRT-10 muffler on your truck... What size is that and where did you get it?
Yep, sure do! I got it off of Ebay for a whole $5.50, couldn't pass it up for the price. As for it's size, it's a big mother and it's straight through in design, looks like a Magnaflow muffler inside. At first I really liked it until I reved it past 4K rpms, then I hated it. It sounded REALLY RAPPY, like the old Smitty mufflers, low rider glasspack sound. But then my muffler put two small glass packs in front of it and it sounded much better, took away 90% of the rappy sound at high rpms. I went one step first and installed two 4" round Magnaflow mufflers, they took away about 99% of the rappy sound, I only hear now when it shifts at WOT. Here's several pics of the muffler and installation.
Jim
The muffler:

Magnaflow mufflers acting as resonators:

Back of muffler installed:

Turn down tips:

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
My girlfriend says no, but I think she's lying.......

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's not the size of the rise, the angle of the dangle or the stroke of the yoke that matters, it's the throb of the knob that does the job!! Oh what, we're talking about mufflers, aren't we? My bad!
Jim

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
In conventional design mufflers, most of the space is taken up by the section called the 'Helmholtz resonating cavity' whose job it is to get rid of the 'drone' that shows up when the v8 engine is in the 1600-2100 rpm range typical of highway cruise. If you do not have this Helmholtz section - make sure your tailpipe length from muffler end to pipe end is not in the 60 inch range. Try to keep it less than 48 inches or more than 72 inches. If you do not, this 60ish length causes an 'organ pipe' drone noise in the 1600-2100 rpm range.

On straight through muffler designs like glasspaks and DynoMax UltraFlo's the longer the muffler generally the more removal of the high pitched tones.

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
5x8x24

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.