DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved from 2500 elevation to 5000 elevation, and notice that it takes a little more push to get my truck going. Drove over a 11000 ft pass and struggled up it. I have a 99 ram 2500. I remember hearing people talk about getting your computer adjusted for higher elevation. Is this something I need done? Is there anything else I can do myself, without spending the big bucks?

·
I'd rather be riding...
613 Posts
Yes, higher elevation will decrease the performance due to the thinner atmosphere. Try resetting the PCM, that will force it to relearn its new environment.

·
Troubleshooter
1,516 Posts
Powertrain Control Module, It's your trucks computer, retrieves info from many sensors to keep your truck running at peek performance, to reset it, disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it disconnected for several minutes, there is a sort of power stand by to help the computer maintain info so if it's not disconnected from the battery long enough you won't get a change from it, if you keep it disconnected longer you'll force the computer to learn to respond to the new environment. Right now your computer thinks its at a lower elevation and it's making poor calculations which can decrease performance.

·
I'd rather be riding...
613 Posts
Actually, I think with the '99 and newer trucks, you have to disconnect the negative cable and turn the ignition to the "On" position and then back off to get the PCM to reset. It will take about 200 miles for it to fully relearn things.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It's not necessary to reset the PCM for things like this, it'll adapt from its current settings fairly quickly, but it'll never come close to the performance it had at the lower elevation, the only vehicles that can do so are turbocharged engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.