DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my truck for 13,000 miles now. I think it's tiem to replace my spark plugs. I was looking at the Bosch dual electrode model. Are they better, or a gimick? They run about $8 a pair. I guess I should get new wires too. What is a good set of wires to get? I don't need anything really special as my truck is stock.

I have read about indexing the plugs so the gap faces the exhaust valve, but you can't do that with the dual electrode. Does it really make that much difference? Is there any point in putting a new coil on if I don't replace the cap and rotor?

My truck has almost 114,000 miles on it and I wanted freshen it up a bit before winter really sets in.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Great question! Would the Bosch 4-electrode spark plug be that much better? I'm about ready to change plugs in my 01' V-6, am considering Bosch, but have heard you guys talking a lot about Autolite. Opinions please, and thanks to everybody!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Everything i have heard about the spark plugs with more than one electrode is negative. I would just stick with the stock plugs and heat range.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
From what I've read, copper conducts better, but platinum lasts longer?

·
Getting my life back!
945 Posts
i used platinum on my 01 ram and they had that truck running way too rough. i ended up having to go with autolites which worked fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Grantman31 said:
From what I've read, copper conducts better, but platinum lasts longer?

nail on the head.

you have to replace the coppers more often but they conduct a hotter spark.

iridium really wont make a difference unless you are talking about a blown/n20 or turbo high HP setup.

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
I tried the dual electrode Bosch plugs in my '95 Carravan, they didn't last any longer or perform any better than the normal plugs

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was at the local Dodge dealership this afternoon having the computer reprogramed for the bigger tires on my 2003 1500 4x4 w/ the Hemi. I was talking to them about the spark plugs and wires. They were really pushing the new plugs and wires. I just bought the truck on Oct. 30 and it has 60,000 miles. They told me that it takes double copper plugs because they do not run as hot and Dodge wants them replaced as often as they say because they have a reason but they could not tell me the reason. I went to another local mechanic, who is an independent mechanic, and we looked at one of the plugs and it was still in great shape. The wires are still the original and it looked great too. The second mechanic was saying platinum plugs would be better in the long run and would last longer. He did not know Dodge's thinking on why they are using copper plugs.

Has anyone been using platinum plugs in the new Hemi's? If so how are they doing?

To answer your question I have never used Bosch plugs so I do not know

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well, in my experience, the autolites that I just replaced my old champions with make my truck run a lot smoother than the stock. I have heard bad things about bosch, but that is all heresay unless you try it for yourself I guess. IMO, don't go with champion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
you'll hear otherwise, but most stocker wires run about 80-100 OHM/ft of resistance and the bigger "performance" wires run 30-60 ohms/ft.

better...numerically yes, will you feel/see a difference over stock? Not unless your stock ones are damaged or worn.

Ive never used anything other than OEM, for any other reason other than color, I used for ford racing wires in my mustang so that the blues would match.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I run bosch +4, theres realy no difference that I could tell, they seem to work fine. But I did here that those plugs make a difference in a 4 cyl,but not so much in a 8.
the part # for the +4 is 4418 and for the +2 is 4218.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.