DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm not saying I dislike nitrous. It just really irritates me how some people take a bone stock engine, install a nitrous kit, and claim how fast it is. It maybe fast, but there isn't any real build up on the engine. I like to see nitrous used as a boost to reach a certain goal, or something like that. I remember when there were no computers you had to get your hands greasy to get an extra 25 HP. Now all you have to do is plug it into a computer or bottle. I like to look at high horsepower engines as a work of art, a man spending time tearing them apart and bulding them to handle high RPMs and make serious power. Not just straping a bottle onto them and racing them till they explode. Anyone else feel this way? If not just ignore me, its really early in the morning.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
How is nitrous different then any other mod? Other mods can harm the engine too. Some people just don't have $5,000 to get 100hp so they go for nitrous.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
Brandon, I can understand where you're coming from. I used to be the same way long ago when all these ricer scene "claimed" it so much it was irritating. They'd say their cars are fast and I'm like suree, "bottles are for babies." Hehehe, so I do know how you feel. A nice all aluminum block with 4 valve aluminum race heads with stage 3 cams, billet intake manifold, and longtube headers sounds way better than "i got NAWWWS," doesn't it? :D I'm a naturally aspirated guy like yourself.
Since it's been awhile, I just got used to the fact that some things work for some people and others work for others. Whatever keeps 'em happy I suppose right? Technology makes it easier for people so why not go with the flow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Today vs. Yesterday

I too am old school. I remember slaving over a 327/350hp in a 1966 Chevy Nova...just to get enough HP to win a few bucks on Friday night on Van Nuys Blvd.

Take a bit of this, a bit of that, advance the cam, change the cam, drill the jets, remove the choke, polish the venturies, lighten the distributer springs add heavier weights....it was never ending. But my little small block would run off and leave a Hemi Charger in the dust...as long as the race wasn't too long. Those large cubic inches were tough to beat on the big end.

I onced watched a 1962 VW bug with a semi-stock Porche 4 cylinder engine eat a brand new 1967 Corvette alive... You had to look at the deck lid on the VW before you raced one. If it looked like it was "sprung open" at the top...leave it alone.

Today kids don't have to know engines to get HP. They need to know only how to add this or that. Most have no clue on "theory" of even how an engine works.

Of course the same goes for the Factory.

I remember:

When a 472 cu. in. Cadilliac engine...would get 30 mpg...and who cared.

My dad had a 1943 Willys Army Jeep with that 472 Caddy engine in it. We had to ease off the line to avoid breaking axles. It was great for poaching rabbits in the desert. When the game warrden came after you in his 1960 Falcon we play with him for a while then... we'd leave him in the dust.

I had a 1964 Corvette with dual 4bl. Carbs...27 mpg. Gas mileage was a by-product of horsepower. Something the manufacturers of today have no clue about.

A little Sunbeam Tiger would blow the doors off your Mustang hi-po 289...and get around 25 mpg doing it....but it was a girly car.

I remember a crazy buddy who on a bet drove his twin chain saw engine powered go-cart through Bobs Big Boy's drive-in to taunt the Cops eating dinner....they chased him around the block 3 times before he finally got low on gas and ditched them...0-60 in about 2 seconds.

I remember watching a "******" drive by the racers lot on Sherman Way showing off. He was "bouncing his ride up and down" when he lost control and crashed into the light pole. I had Ripple Wine explode out my nose from hystrical laughter.

I remember the Ventura Sherriffs department trying to catch us illegally drag racing in a housing development. I drove my car into an open garage and pulled the door down. I sat in someones garage for almost 2 hours until the cops left...thank GOD the houses owners didn't come home.

We made our own horse power. WE KNEW how engines worked and we worked on our engines. I had a friend who worked in a machine shop. He MADE his own aluminium rods for his Ram Air 400 Pontiac engine.

Then there was that dark haired girl with the huge breasts who had a Corvette just like mine. We met at a light, pulled over and talked. After making out for a while she let me put my hand under her sweater.
I wanted to be cool so I showed some restraint and went no farther. It was bs I was no gentlemen, I just figured I have her the next night for sure...she went back to her boyfriend the next day.

That was almost 40 years ago and I still wonder what she'd been like....I still wished I'd seized the moment.

You young guys have such a wonderful opportunity to make memories...don't waste a single one.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
..."what might have been."

·
Registered
251 Posts
BrandonSC said:
Alright, I'm not saying I dislike nitrous. It just really irritates me how some people take a bone stock engine, install a nitrous kit, and claim how fast it is. It maybe fast, but there isn't any real build up on the engine. I like to see nitrous used as a boost to reach a certain goal, or something like that. I remember when there were no computers you had to get your hands greasy to get an extra 25 HP. Now all you have to do is plug it into a computer or bottle. I like to look at high horsepower engines as a work of art, a man spending time tearing them apart and bulding them to handle high RPMs and make serious power. Not just straping a bottle onto them and racing them till they explode. Anyone else feel this way? If not just ignore me, its really early in the morning.
Yeah, no N2O here. I see Superchips! is on the top of your mod list. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'm all N/A.

Nitrous is a cheap way to push a stock motor beyond its limitations. Sometimes it works out, other times it goes boom. I prefer to have the power at my disposal ALL the time. ALL night. Every race. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
i like power and anyway it comes.

Im not gonna knock it but i do have to say the kids running around with a ford focus and running N20 and thinking its SWEEEEET thats anoying but anyway to get power in my eyes is good but use it as a way to reach that goal at the end not as a first mod.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm more of an "all throttle no bottle" guy myself. If I turned my 16 sec. car into a 13.5 with some hard work and a little luck, I might consider NOS to try to break that 12 sec mark. BUT, I would never take a stock engine , add some NOS and consider it a race car!

·
Registered
843 Posts
LeeR said:
If I turned my 16 sec. car into a 13.5 with some hard work and a little luck, I might consider NOS to try to break that 12 sec mark. BUT, I would never take a stock engine , add some NOS and consider it a race car!
problem is too many kiddie racers and others do :crazy:

personally I wouldn't use nitrous untill thar was no other way to go

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Thorn11acr said:
I too am old school. I remember slaving over a 327/350hp in a 1966 Chevy Nova...just to get enough HP to win a few bucks on Friday night on Van Nuys Blvd.

I just wanted to say that was a pretty sweet post! :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have to say that I'll probably be the youngest person to post on this thread. And I have to say I'm sorta on the fence with this one. Let me start off with saying that for my age I have done way more than my fair share of wrench turning. What gets me about the people (mostly young ones) now-a-days is that they take their cars with their parents credit cards to the local speed shop; spend a whole bunch of money and then drive around in their cars like they have something to be proud of. To me the only one who has something to be proud of is the mechanic at the shop who should have painted his name on the door.
As for nitrous. Today’s engines and technology have afforded different modification parameters than the large displacement engines of the past. I don’t think you should jump all over people who put nitrous in as a first mod. As long as they are truly knowledgeable of what they have done. Unfortunately the days of building engines in your garage during the week and racing them that weekend have died out due to the computer infested engine compartments of today’s vehicles. Different avenues of engine modification are being discovered everyday. It’s the blending of the old and the new that makes this fun. I love to see young gear heads like myself out there talking and racing gear heads from older generations and we’re all out there having a good time and doing what we all love.
Hope this doesn’t sound too mushy…

·
Registered
843 Posts
agree its a sad time for today's modern rodder's with all these compuker infested cars/trucks built today :(

but that shouldn't stop rodders from digging into the guts of the motor first and reprogramming the compuker first..... adding nitrous should be the last mod one should have to make

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
I'm all N/A.

Nitrous is a cheap way to push a stock motor beyond its limitations. Sometimes it works out, other times it goes boom. I prefer to have the power at my disposal ALL the time. ALL night. Every race. ;)

All the time? what if you run out of gas? Isn't that the same as running out of nitrous?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Unfortunately, not all of the computers can be reprogrammed easily. Dodge has us by the balls in that dept. I don't consider the "micro tuners" (ie. superchips, hypertech) all that useful. All they do is change parameters to pre-set values and max out certain things. There is no real tunability in them besides limiters. At this point, i'd love to ditch the computer all together and add a carb, or try and figure out how to get a standalone system to work. As for bottle feeding... I agree w/ ya about using it as a booster, not a source. The only reason i'd spray is because it gets around the computer. If you get heads and a cam, there is no way you can use them to potential w/o being able to tune timing and fuel mixtures. If the computer can't handle the upgrades, whats the point? Granted the bolt-ons I have lowered track times, but not as much as they could. THE most important part of upgrading is tuning imo. W/ the complexity of todays engines/computers, you can't just use parts that work together like you could in back in the day.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Josh Brown said:
How is nitrous different then any other mod? Other mods can harm the engine too. Some people just don't have $5,000 to get 100hp so they go for nitrous.
Even so: I'd answer his question saying "Yes".

I have witnessed several Nitrous Oxide carnage, and, the damage done is usually more severe than any other mod.

Even so, don't dogpile me. I didn't say Nitrous Oxide was not a mod...nor a weak mod at that.

Think of it this way: the ability to destroy perfectly solid engines within a matter of seconds gives testimony to its power. :cool:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.