DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Unless you race the truck, then you are just waisting money. Wait, what kind of oil do you you use is the question now?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i use QUAKER STATE - i figured someone would say exactly what you said but i had a ranger and i went to 300,000 and NEVER did anything major - this ram will do the same i like doin it and it dosen`t cost that much if you guy`s change your`s at 6,000 fine - if we all did the same thing it`d be a boring world but i bet some one some where is like me...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine has always been done at 2500. I have always used Castrol with a bottle of Lucas. My 95 ram, before it was totaled had 226*** and still ran strong.

·
Registered
219 Posts
3000 miles on the nose for every vehicle I've ever owned. If its over the magical 200,000 miles or gets a regular "beating" it gets a bottle of Lucas. I also stick with the "diesel" type oils (Rotella anyone? :D ) and have never had a bearing failure. Lots of cars & miles & I probably wont change!

I'm thinking with the newer oils that 3,000k between changes may be overkill but its hard to break the habit! Anyone ever check out the "Bob the oil guy" website? I lost the address, but there was a lot of info there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a 1988 ranger that I changed the oil between 5,000miles and 10,000miles.I gave it away at 384,000 miles(I used it for work and my wife convinced me that I shouldn't trust it any more) and it still only burned 1 to 2 quarts between oil changes.The oils and engine construction have become so good that you don't really need to worry about it.I am old enough that I can remember when if you changed your oil religiously and treated it nice most engines were worn out at 100,000 miles.There are even a few manufactures that now have oil change intervals as long as 8,000 miles. In the last 30 years I have not had a oil related problem but in the 60s and 70s that was a whole different story.The older cars that I have had that made it to the mid to late 80s without many miles will hit 250,000 to 300,000 miles with out burning excess oil or make the normal worn out noises.Sorry for being so long winded but as stated before unless you are racing or some other extreme use I don't think that you need to change it that often(unless you use it in a waste oil heater in your garage-ha-ha).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I run 3000 miles between changes. I might go over 300 miles at times, but I commute 100 miles four times a week to college. Yeah, 1500 is a bit of over kill lol. By the way, I use QS on the Ram as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gas or diesel, I use Rotella T6.

Good for 10k OCI's in OTR trucks and I run 4-6k OCI's in the gasser ram.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
3500 on a oil change

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would say that's too often, unless of course you only put on 1500 miles a year..

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I do 5000 or once a year which ever is less. But I average 2000 miles a year had 81,000 when I bought it and now 4 1/2 years later has 86,000.

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
Every 3000 mine gets Mobil 1 synthetic and Wix filter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Every 3000 mine gets Mobil 1 synthetic and Wix filter.
That is what I run on the Vette, factory fill specs:rck:. Not only that, I don't get to 50% on the life monitor when I change the oil at 3k miles.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
5k here on the vehicles that run the 5w-20, the durango with the 10w-30 gets 3k or every 6 months

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I'm probably older than most on here but I remember changing oil and a lube job every 1000 miles. On my 96 I use Mobil 1 oil & filters once a year or 10,000 miles or which ever comes first.
On my 87 Valvoline oil & NAPA Gold filter at 3000 to 5000 miles or every year.
:gr_patrio

·
Registered
149 Posts
3,000 - 3,500
Napa Gold Filter
Valvoline oil or Napa "which is Valvoline"

·
Registered
211 Posts
Change mine at the beginning of every month. Roughly 3000 miles a month with Castrol 10W40 and normally a Fram filter.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I changed the oil in my 99 today only because I couldn't remember the last time I did it. I figured that was a good enough reason.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Well how much of that used oil gets refined into new oil?

·
jlpeterson85
212 Posts
Amsoil, every 5000 (Oil says up to 10000 miles but I don't like that) with wix filter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.