DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 2wd 3.7L single cab 1500 pickup with a 4 speed automatic transmission.

I was thinking about getting a junkyard rearend with a LSD and lower gears.

I was told about the problems with the stock LSD clips. That I would be better off getting an aftermarket LSD and lower the gears aftermarket.

Then I read that the 2500 did not suffer the problems with the LSD clips coming out and destroying the rear end.

I could find a salvage 2500 LSD rear end much cheaper than changing mine over, I could do the work myself if I was swaping the rear ends. I could not do the gear swap myself.

So.......will the 2500 10.5 inch rear end bolt up to my truck?

Will there be any part of this swap that I should be aware of problems?

Or would I still be better off converting my stock rear end with aftermarket parts.

I guess the 3/4 ton might have a different bolt pattern than my 1/2 ton truck.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
mmmhoss said:
I have a 2002 2wd 3.7L single cab 1500 pickup with a 4 speed automatic transmission.

I was told about the problems with the stock LSD clips. That I would be better off getting an aftermarket LSD and lower the gears aftermarket.

Then I read that the 2500 did not suffer the problems with the LSD clips coming out and destroying the rear end.

I could find a salvage 2500 LSD rear end much cheaper than changing mine over, I could do the work myself if I was swaping the rear ends. I could not do the gear swap myself.

Or would I still be better off converting my stock rear end with aftermarket parts.

Bingo!! yours is a 5 lug and the 10.5 is an 8 lug but you might be able to swap out the front spendels also???

This would be a cool mod if it can be done. Kinda like a heavy half.
Good luck

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
If you can find one, a few guys have mounted up the rears off an SRT-10. Its a Dana60, one guy has a write up on it, he did it recently.

KB

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
mmmhoss said:

A complete 3/4 ton ready to bolt in rear cheaper than a rear gear and Auburn? Let me know where your getting that.
And like Megacabman stated the lugs are different. Sorry bud.

The 9.25 is limited as far as traction and gear options but swapping axles is a whole new can of worms...trust me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it sounds like I would be better off just putting the aftermarket LSD and lower gears in mine.

If it was such a great idea, then I am sure one of the resident motorheads would have beat me to it.

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
If cost is a chief concern then i would say yes, an aftermarket lsd and gears is your best bet. If your willing to spend then the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If cost are a concern, then rebuilding the axle you already have with aftermarket parts is the way to go, since there is a lot more hidden cost if you are not using a used a donor vehicle for the extra parts. Even then the cost of purchasing a donor vehcile can easily exceed the cost of using aftermarket parts.

If cost is not a concern then, by all means swap in a heavier axle. In fact go to Diesel Power Magazines web site and look up there axle swap on Project X. Granted, they went backwards and swaped in a smaller differential with aftermarket parts to reduce weight and build a daily driver diesel dragster.

I know that I am beginnig to sound like a standard reply to a letter in a Tech article in a magazine, but I thought you should see possibliy all the hidden cost that could be involve. You see, I have thought about doing this on my older GMC K1500 and these are just a few of the extras cost that I could fore see in such a swap.

Just remember to keep these points and cost in mind when you make you final decision if you go with the axle swap. (I have giving rough estimates for cost of parts on a 3rd Gen Dodge Ram)

1. You will need to replace the front or rear axle with a eight lug conversion adaptor or hub. If you do not what to run two sets of wheels on your truck. Estimated cost to install $500-2000.00 with new parts. Even on a 2wd.
2. You will need to by new wheels for the eight lug conversion. At least $1000.00-1500.00 out the door right there for new tires and wheels on all four corners otherwise $500-600.00 for just two sets wheels and tires.
3. You might need to replace the springs and shocks to compensate for the heavier axle and tires otherwise you will end up with axle wrap. Which could run around $500-2000.00 depending on what you buy; such as: blocks, add a leaf, or spacers and tracion bars.
4. You might need to replace your driveline and transfer case since most half tons use smaller U-joints, transfer case shaft bearings and a different pinion slip yoke on the tranfer case. $1000-2000.00 depening on the transfer case and driveline shop. Thats if you have a 4 wheel drive.
5. You might need to replace your brake master cyclinder and vacuume booster to handle the bigger axles, brakes and tires on those axles. A Mininum of $1000.00 if new parts and no donor vehicle.
6. You might need to swap front spindles, hubs, brake disc, and front axle shafts for 4 wheel drive trucks. This alone can easily cost $2000.00 or more if you do not use a donor vehicle for the parts.
7. You might need to by a donor vehcile to easily have reference to access to the above parts need to do the swap. At a $1,000.00-20,000.00.

This just a bare neccessity list of extra cost other than the cost of just the axle. I personlly would go aftermarket exspecially if the engine is still mostly stock and not modified for power and torque.

·
Registered
158 Posts
CatDiesel_762 said:
If cost are a concern, then rebuilding the axle you already have with aftermarket parts is the way to go, since there is a lot more hidden cost if you are not using a used a donor vehicle for the extra parts. Even then the cost of purchasing a donor vehcile can easily exceed the cost of using aftermarket parts.

If cost is not a concern then, by all means swap in a heavier axle. In fact go to Diesel Power Magazines web site and look up there axle swap on Project X. Granted, they went backwards and swaped in a smaller differential with aftermarket parts to reduce weight and build a daily driver diesel dragster.

I know that I am beginnig to sound like a standard reply to a letter in a Tech article in a magazine, but I thought you should see possibliy all the hidden cost that could be involve. You see, I have thought about doing this on my older GMC K1500 and these are just a few of the extras cost that I could fore see in such a swap.

Just remember to keep these points and cost in mind when you make you final decision if you go with the axle swap. (I have giving rough estimates for cost of parts on a 3rd Gen Dodge Ram)

1. You will need to replace the front or rear axle with a eight lug conversion adaptor or hub. If you do not what to run two sets of wheels on your truck. Estimated cost to install $500-2000.00 with new parts. Even on a 2wd.
2. You will need to by new wheels for the eight lug conversion. At least $1000.00-1500.00 out the door right there for new tires and wheels on all four corners otherwise $500-600.00 for just two sets wheels and tires.
3. You might need to replace the springs and shocks to compensate for the heavier axle and tires otherwise you will end up with axle wrap. Which could run around $500-2000.00 depending on what you buy; such as: blocks, add a leaf, or spacers and tracion bars.
4. You might need to replace your driveline and transfer case since most half tons use smaller U-joints, transfer case shaft bearings and a different pinion slip yoke on the tranfer case. $1000-2000.00 depening on the transfer case and driveline shop. Thats if you have a 4 wheel drive.
5. You might need to replace your brake master cyclinder and vacuume booster to handle the bigger axles, brakes and tires on those axles. A Mininum of $1000.00 if new parts and no donor vehicle.
6. You might need to swap front spindles, hubs, brake disc, and front axle shafts for 4 wheel drive trucks. This alone can easily cost $2000.00 or more if you do not use a donor vehicle for the parts.
7. You might need to by a donor vehcile to easily have reference to access to the above parts need to do the swap. At a $1,000.00-20,000.00.

This just a bare neccessity list of extra cost other than the cost of just the axle. I personlly would go aftermarket exspecially if the engine is still mostly stock and not modified for power and torque.
where can i get a set of these adapters? i have a couple sets of h2 wheels that i would love to put on my ram. i googled a while back and couldnt find anything. any links or know where to get one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shouri Z,

Just google wheel adaptors and you will find a lot of sites. I found this one that does 6-8 but am not sure if it fits the Dodge Ram. I believe you can find it at Skulte with a dot com after it. Since I am unable to post copied links.

If you plan on using Hummer Wheels, plan on spending another $100 for a machine shop to machine the wheels to fit over the axle hubs on the 2500. Or go to the Diesel Truck Resource web site under the 3rd Gen Genral Topic Forum and look for H2 wheels to find more about this machine process. I believe our OEM 2500 wheels are Hub Accentric (Meaning the hub centers the wheel on the axles) and not Lug Accentric (Meaning the lug nuts pull the wheel to center). I am not sure, but if you go with the adaptors on the half ton axles you may not need to machine the wheels. Although, your backspacing may become a problem. I would talk to the tech rep of the adaptor you choose and a Trusted Tire and Wheel shop about it.

CatDiesel_762

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had found a site that will make custom two piece hub adapters for 600 a set. I MAY go that route as a last choice... so far it looks like my only choice

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did the SRT 10 swap, you get to keep your wheels, and the benifit of having the dana 60 rear end. If you get one from a donor truck the only thing you will have to change is the driveshaft yoke on your truck to fit the spicer 1410 yoke on the dana 60. That should cost you less than $100. The SRT-10 uses the same rear calipers and brackets as the 3/4 ton plus has thicker rotors and a backing plate that directs the air at the brakes better. Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 9.25 Axle isnt as weak as asumed . . . . Just get the Auburn Posi , Alloy 4.56 gears , and a pair of Dutchman axles . And you will be as strong any rearend !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.