DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler doesn't have any plans to keep the Dodge Viper and is trying to sell it off. This is like GM selling off the Chevy Corvette... They can do it, but it don't sound right.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
But would you rather them sell it, or stop making it all together?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Can you imagine..... the KIA "Viper"

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far no one's buying it, but no one at Dodge has any future plans for it.

I have the only Viper I'll ever get, can't afford it ( do a Google Search for Larry Macedo for why ), and will never afford any new car again.

At least I bought mine thinking the values would go up in 20-30 years so my daughter would have some money to help her out when I'm too old to drive it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would say if they get rid of it the value of yours sunra would go up immediately. It would be a true collectors item in 30 years.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
With gas legislation being stricter it is gone. I'm glad they are tying to give it to sombody, it is too good of a car not to be made, plus it will give chrysler some capitol.
With the viper going gone, I'm sure you will find some BIG numbers on the Challenger for the next couple of years.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I would rather they kept it and stopped making it... then they could always bring it back atleast

·
rowdymopar
481 Posts
I always thought that the V 12 was kind of silly they could make as much power by simply dropping in a 6.1 HEMI & make it more driver friendly ( I'v heard they are verry unforgiving ) You allmost need be be a professional race car driver to handle the power . they could do a few things to it & get the price into a more affordable range. I think you can buy a new base Vette for less than $50,000 I dont think you can touch a Viper for less than $75-80,000 ++ by the time the dealer adds his cut on it . The Vette is GM's flagship scence 1953 & it almost died in 55' then they added the small block V8 & the rest is automotive History . The Viper was/ is Chrysler Flagship the dream car most people could only catch a Rare glimps of & Dream of Owning it . But even most people in the financial market for the car opted for the Vette , or others due to it's non driver friendly no anti lock brakes , No Air Conditioning on Most models , No handleing / Ride stability control , ect. ( Most buyers willing to pay $80,000 + whant it all & I cant blame them ) I think the Challenger is becomeing the new flagship of Chrysler . I always thought the Viper was & or is a great idea but someone along the way made it impracticle to own even to thoose who could afford it ,so there in lays it's destany .

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
I always thought that the V 12 was kind of silly they could make as much power by simply dropping in a 6.1 HEMI & make it more driver friendly ( I'v heard they are verry unforgiving ) You allmost need be be a professional race car driver to handle the power . they could do a few things to it & get the price into a more affordable range. I think you can buy a new base Vette for less than $50,000 I dont think you can touch a Viper for less than $75-80,000 ++ by the time the dealer adds his cut on it . The Vette is GM's flagship scence 1953 & it almost died in 55' then they added the small block V8 & the rest is automotive History . The Viper was/ is Chrysler Flagship the dream car most people could only catch a Rare glimps of & Dream of Owning it . But even most people in the financial market for the car opted for the Vette , or others due to it's non driver friendly no anti lock brakes , No Air Conditioning on Most models , No handleing / Ride stability control , ect. ( Most buyers willing to pay $80,000 + whant it all & I cant blame them ) I think the Challenger is becomeing the new flagship of Chrysler . I always thought the Viper was & or is a great idea but someone along the way made it impracticle to own even to thoose who could afford it ,so there in lays it's destany .
first off, the viper motor is a v-10, not v-12:huh:

second, you have to figure that the large majority of folks who buy vipers don't drive them very much at all, so all the luxury items really aren't needed :imo

i do agree that dodge should put a 6.1 hemi in it though, as a base model that would be in the 45k range;D

i say that dodge should just kill it for the time being:(

but, when the economy bounces back in 6 months to a year they should bring it back, w/ both the fire breathing v10 and the slightly milder 6.1 hemi:D

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Vipers have always had a Viper only V-10 in them. The Hemi is too wide to fit in the engine bay so it was never used. The engine bay in the Viper is big, but the wide front tires (275 size) eats up just enough room where the Hemi doesn't fit.

The Chrysler Firepower was going to be built on a Viper chasis but use smaller width tires and use the Hemi and be priced close to the Corvette, but it was killed by Daimler-Chrysler.

Vipers actually make money for Dodge on their own - just not mass quantities because they are hand built and usually less the 2,000 cars per year & most years around 1,500. The Viper in the showroom halo effect got a lot of people into the Dodge dealer's showroom where they ooohed and awwwwed the Viper and then bought something more practical and much less expensive.

Starting in 2001 Vipers did have anti-lock brakes. Air conditioning has been standard on most Vipers since 1996. The radios don't sound very good due to the cheap speakers used. I never set my radio presets because the V10 sounds so much better.

I have around 28,000 miles on my Viper and around 40,000 on my Ram. I get better gas mileage in my Viper than in my Ram - almost double on the highway even with all the mods done to mine.

·
rowdymopar
481 Posts
Your right it is a V10 my fault . I'm not saying the Viper is not an awsome car it is & I respect the fact it is the most American built car in the world. But I just think there are some changes that could have been made along the way to make it more practicle to the consumers in that price bracket to truely compete with the Vette. I hope they do keep the Viper somehow.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I'll throw in one more observation

as a guy who would love to own a fast factory car, here's some things I've noticed:

Vipers hold their resale value better than Corvette Z06's, or Mustang Cobra's

Try this: go to a site like www.vehix.com or whatever your autos for sale search site is, and do a search for those three used vehicles, then you will see what I mean

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
I'll throw in one more observation

as a guy who would love to own a fast factory car, here's some things I've noticed:

Vipers hold their resale value better than Corvette Z06's, or Mustang Cobra's

Try this: go to a site like www.vehix.com or whatever your autos for sale search site is, and do a search for those three used vehicles, then you will see what I mean
:werd::truestory::stu:

:dtrocks:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Kenny I see that loveable Larry got you too. However "loveable" was not the word I wanted to use. I sold what was left of mine to someone who was just happy to buy a viper.

·
rowdymopar
481 Posts
RAM MAN you got a good point there you dont see any cheap Vipers for sale anywere 1992 Vipers 1 st year are selling for $50,000 - $100,000 on ebay pretty regularly

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Corvettes might be cheaper...If I had 60,000 I would still save to have a viper. To many people have corvettes. You see a corvettes and say "hmm another corvette". You see a viper and say "wow"...Not only that the v-10 is what makes the viper. If they dropped the 6.1 in there I just would not think as highly of the viper. But thats just me

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kenny I see that loveable Larry got you too. However "loveable" was not the word I wanted to use. I sold what was left of mine to someone who was just happy to buy a viper.
I'm sorry you are part of an ever growing list of customers taken by Larry Macedo's Macedo Motorsports. I did a lot of internet research before I went with Macedo. After my experience with Macedo became public, many former customers of Macedo told me of their nightmare experiences of Macedo's quality of customer service and competence in building and tuning cars.

Other than spending $10-20,000 to sue him and having an extremely hard & further expensive time collecting on the judgemant of the court we are left with 2 choices - staying quiet out of embarrassment or going public and educating potential customers what they might expect if they take their car to Macedo Motorsports.

Some places to post about your experience are:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t913433.html
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/macedo-motorsports-c116368.html
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/353/RipOff0353279.htm
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/MacEdo.Motorsports.407-246-6511
http://www.yellowpages.com/info-LMS70876466/Macedo-Motorsports
This is a partial list. Of course car enthusiast websites are also very good.
There's even a site that documents with expert testimony and photos just some of what was found that Larry Macedo did to my Viper:
http://www.******************/
Do a Google Search on "Larry Macedo" and/or "Macedo Motorsports" to find other sites where providing your own personal experience may help someone not have a bad experience like we had.
Please pass along this information to any other unhappy customers of Macedo Motorsports or any other tuner that operates their business in a similar way.

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was wondering that myself - it sure shows up if you Google Search Larry Macedo and/or Macedo Motorsports.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.