DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodge steering wheels

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bherder 
#1 ·
Hi All,

The steering wheel on my '74 is in bad shape and is a bit big for my liking. Is there a smaller (like 15" or so) Dodge wheel that would be a direct bolt on? Suggestions and pic appreciated.

Thanks,
L

#6 ·
The power bucket seats are from a '87 LeBaron sedan, modified and recovered, of course. The folding armrest is home made, using plastic sewer pipe for cup holders. The door panels and kick panels are all home made, as is the console, using a shifter from a mid-eighties FWD Mopar. I had to design and fabricate the bracketry and used a generic cable.

The headliner is a recovered shell from a '91, as are the sunvisors and rear view mirror. It has a home made overhead console using '90 New Yorker lights. The window trim and rear slider are also from a '91. I don't recall what the door and window handles came from, but I think it was a mid-90's Ram.

The steering column shell is from a '70 Duster and the ignition switch and linkage, now mounted on the column, behind the dash, is from a '79 Aspen. The AM-FM-Cassette is from an '03 Grand Caravan.

I padded and covered the steering wheel in leather and made the center disk from aluminum and the Dodge script came from a mid-60's Polara.

It's sort of like Johnny Cash's Cadillac, but it's all Mopar.

Attachments

#8 ·
those are some fine looking mopars. i can see the hard work and love put into them.

#9 ·
75 Power Wagon said:
You can always get a steering wheel from Grant...
Very nice 75 - I don't expect to make mine as sweet as yours.

If I can score a smaller, easy to swap wheel from the bone yard that is my "plan".

I will have some questions about your set up later on.

Thanks,

#10 ·
Heh heh heh..... Well, GHS, it ain't a truck, but that's some pretty nice stuff you've fabricated ;)
American ingenuity and know-how at it's BEST. I mean, who else could take ABS and turn it into a great set of cupholders? (Not the French, that's for sure...)

That's a GREAT rig (For a car) and you are to be patted on the back :D
What's the name of your rig? "Frankenstein"?? :D :D :D

#11 ·
Frankenstein?

bherder said:
I've been searching the archives here a bunch today and the Frankenstein thing gets used a lot. I've learned over my 50 ish years to not take it personally, but FYI that is actually some peoples last name. no sweat just FYI.

Igor :)

#12 ·
bherder said:
Heh heh heh..... Well, GHS, it ain't a truck, but that's some pretty nice stuff you've fabricated ;)
American ingenuity and know-how at it's BEST. I mean, who else could take ABS and turn it into a great set of cupholders? (Not the French, that's for sure...)

That's a GREAT rig (For a car) and you are to be patted on the back :D
It doesn't need rubber floor mats and a bench seat to be a truck. I bought this truck new and it's hauled many a ton of firewood, cement, gravel, lumber and manure, and it towed a camp trailer for years. It might not look like a truck inside, but it has worked like a truck since day-one. I'm too danged old to be uncomfortable just to make a point.

#13 ·
I've been searching the archives here a bunch today and the Frankenstein thing gets used a lot.

Well.... It's a 'generic' term these days doncha' know....

I've learned over my 50 ish years to not take it personally, but FYI that is actually some peoples last name. no sweat just FYI.

Eh, OK... So start calling it 'Herderized'.... I don't care...

It doesn't need rubber floor mats and a bench seat to be a truck.

Yeah it does.... More than THAT! If you can't wash the cab out with a garden hose, it ain't a real truck!

(BTW, I'm "50'ish" also and I've thrown a lot of lumber, cement, pit-rock, deer, elk, etc. in the bed also.... If I want 'fuzzy-wuzzy' I'll drive the wife's B2500 or her Bravada... When I'm hauling wood for the winter or up a 4,000 ft. mountain-side dragging down food for the freezer... I'll take something I don't care about getting scratches, dents, or blood all over... :D ...
THAT'S a TRUCK....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.