DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1998 Dodge 12v dodge diesel and the speedometer will not work, also the the mileage does not function either, does anyone know what this might be, possibly a sensor? :thatfunny , thanks

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I seem to remember there is a sensor for that - I believe its back by the rear axle

Someone else will need to chime in here with the correct info

BTW - welcome to the site !

·
Registered
204 Posts
There are two sensors, one on the rearend and one on the output of the transmission. But usually if one or both of them fail the ABS and Brake light come on. If they aren't on then I'd check on the speedometer cable.
Haven't had to deal with it.
Maybe someone else will know or do a search on speedometer cable.

KP

·
Registered
204 Posts
Then it will be one or both of those sensors.
If you can get an reading of the codes then it might help narrowing it down.
You can get it done for free at some of the auto parts places.

KP

·
Registered
453 Posts
Most likely the one in the rear end. If the trans is shifting ok I would replace the one in the rear end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have the same problem but my check ingine light came on to and it does shift funny.wont really shift out of i think 2 or 3.have to let off on the gas to get it to shift.is it the senser in the trans or rearend?thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had a problem w/ speedo, odometer, cruise control not working. found that the sensor on rear transfer case was smashed by my DIY exhaust job. took it to the muffler shop and got the main problem fixed. swapped out sensor and removed neg. bat. cable. speedo works now....kinda. it moves up after i get to 15 mph and isn't smooth or even accurate...it has been like that for so long that i am used to it but im sure if you try and replace that sensor, would be a good starting point for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.