Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. where to begin.:kabong:
I use my truck regularly but not much. It can go maybe 2 days without being turned on sometimes because I don't use it to go to work all the time.

Some history on the truck your going to need it if you can help PLEASE. I need this truck back and working and I cant move it. Its been parked and I do not have the money to tow nor pay a mechanic to come.

'03 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT QUAD CAB 4.7 Liter. V8

The truck has around 180k miles. The engine was replaced about 4-3 years ago. Transmission never touched. Oil has been changed every time on time. 1-2 years ago new A/C and new fuel pump with filter. Radiator changed about three times iv'e had it. New differential. Less than one year ago new tires and brakes. So iv'e taken care of it.

Like i said it goes 2 days max without being used. Maybe 3 the most. The problem started after I had been using it NOT AFTER it was sitting cold. I drove it one night. Parked it. Next day I put some old gas I had sitting around for months. I put a gas treatment mixer in it also. I turn the key and start it. RPMs go up and down WILD !! the truck starts spitting out water and white smoke outside the exhuast. (Flowmaster exhaust installed 4 years ago). I didn't think it was the bad gas because I had half a tank full of new gas and I only put about 5 Gallons of old gas with the treatment.

I accelerate and truck died. Turned the key again.... same exact thing happened. It kept stalling. Turned it again. Same thing RPMS going up and down at idle and stalls and dies.. lift the hood I found a broken intake hose loose behind the right side of the Speed Control Valve near the IAC and TPS sensor. Checked the oil and it was low ???

I plugged the intake hose back well tight with a new hose. Replaced air filter. Put new oil. Turned the key and this time it turned on and the rpms were way past 2000 at idle. It was accelerating by itself. With no foot on the pedal.. I kept trying to start it and it would take a while to crank and run. The ABS and brake light on the dash kept turning on. This truck doesn't have ABS.

Day 2:

I put new gas. Detached the - Negative from the battery. Replaced the IAC sensor. TPS sensor. cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and a brush. There wasn't much carb built up it was pretty clean. Charged the battery all day and night with the negative back attached.. Didn't touch the truck anymore

Day 3:

I go outside to the truck the battery is fully charged. I also checked the fuel pump. Turned the KEY into Accessory mode to see if the fuel pump works. and yes it works. I put my ear to the gas cap while someone turned the ignition and the pump was working. I then try turning the truck on and there is no response. It doesn't even crank anymore. The ABS and Brake light was on in the dash at first but now as soon as I turn the key and try to start the truck all the lights on the dash disappear and a round red light turns ON in the bottom right of the Speedometer. . This truck doesn't have ABS by the way.

My check list:

Battery works it is an Interstate. Fuel pump works. I checked the fuel pressure getting to the injectors and its good. Sensors replaced. Cleaned Carb. New air filter and no intake leaks anymore. I'm out of words. The truck was running well the day before this happened.

UPDATE TODAY: I noticed a gas line that goes from the tank towards the front of the truck. The fuel line goes through and out a round black little piece that says "Filter" and then goes through an object that looks like a inline fuel filter. I didn't think this truck had an inline fuel filter. Isn't it inside the tank ?? I unplugged the hoses to check if it was a filter and I was expecting gas to leak and it was bone DRY !. I think I see it's a fuel problem ???? but how can I know forsure. And why do I still get fuel pressure near the injectors with my compression tester if there is no fuel going through the so called "Filter" attached to the hose ?

BTW I also tried starting the truck with jumper cables from another truck to rule out the battery issue. aaand nothing. same thing.

If anyone could help. Please. We would solve a mystery.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Probably what what you think is a filter is part of the vapor recovery system.It has lines attached to the fuel tank that you might think is the fuel line.Can't answer to the other problem. Maybe check for bad wiring connection in the harness plugs or under the fuse box and to the computer.Do you have any codes showing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright pappy thanks for the help here is an update. You were correct the filter with the fuel line is the vapor canister with a air filter (#3 in photo) that I thought was an inline fuel filter but its not . The picture has everything I was talking about and there shouldn't be gas in those lines so its okay. I did a code check through the ignition by turning the key ON-OFF x3 and the digital odometer said "Done". There was no "P0000".

I tried turning the truck on while I was at it, but now it doesn't crank or turn. It just shuts down all power to the dash and I hear clicking noise near the bottom of the truck. When I first did the code check I noticed the battery is not low..it's almost like the truck now has no battery to even crank ??

Thanks a lot pappy you helped me with your reply to learn more info.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does anything work? Try headlights,heater fan? Whats the gauges and cluster look like with the switch on now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the ignition switch ON the dash works like normal including gauges.

Fuel pump, Radio, A/C, cargo and dome lights, headlights, wireless remote to lock and unlock ALL work.

Today I noticed the battery gauge is abit lower than usual, its usually in the middle when the car is running and when the car is not running its normally less than the middle by like 2 toothpicks. But I'm guessing its because I've been trying to crank the dam truck so many times the thing is low.

Anyways, I have a battery tender charging it for tonight. Trying to think what else to check without complicating the Superbowl weekend

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing, The first initial try when starting the truck is when it sounds like its trying to start.
After that first time, if i keep trying the dash lights go dim or go completely dead and sometimes ABS & Brake lights go on. I've even gotten nothing but a round red light beneath the right side of the Speedometer. At that point I give the truck a break, and charge it over night and try again next day.. and the process repeats itself.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i am going to say either bad battery or the cables are bad. even though both "look" ok they can be damaged/corroded inside. and for what it is worth adding 5 gallons of bad gas to 20 gallons of good gas just makes 25 gallons of bad gas.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with snow chief.DO the headlights still work after you try to start it the first time?Are they as bright as normal?

·
Registered
131 Posts
My wife's Dakota turned over slowly but started one morning as she was leaving for work. I noticed it but thought she might have left a light on overnight, didn't think too much about it after that. A few hours later I got a phone call from her on break at work, truck had failed to restart after a fuel stop, she finally got it going with some help. She made it home at noon. I put my battery load tester on it after charging it for about an hour, it took a charge fully and showed good voltage until a put a 100 amp load on it. Put charger back on it for a while and it just started, made it to Wally-World for a new battery, left it running while I went in to talk with the guys, they took it right away. It would not restart when the guys wanted to get the mileage off it, so they installed a new battery. Has been fine since then. This is the third Interstate that has died on me in the last three years - have two left on the toy hauler and when those go (probably pretty soon) will never see another Interstate.

I would take a serious look at the battery. Sorry for the long story.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone thanks for the help. Hope everyone is preparing for the SuperBowl.

Just installed a BRAND NEW interstate battery & charged it. Went to turn it on right now...No luck... Same issue.

First try when I turned the key the truck started and immediately died. RPMS went to where they should be and went back down. The "Check Gauges" light came on and noticed the Temperature gauge was all the way on "H" (hot side). The battery gauge is showing the truck has battery the way it should.

Second attempt to turn the truck on, as i turn the key I hold the key and it just keeps turning and turning WITHOUT any check gauges light turning on and no gauge going to "H" this time.... The lights are no longer dimming on the dash or disappearing so I'm guessing the battery fixed that.

Should I change the Fuel injectors? Drop the fuel tank see whats going on with the fuel ?.. I'm stuck between something electrical and something fuel..

Iv'e inspected the truck up and down, over and under... I can't see what would be causing this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It was bad gas folks.

Bad gas clogged the gas pump in the gas tank.

Had to empty out the bad gas first. Put 93 octane fuel (the best gas) into the tank. put the new pump. and THATS IT !. took a little while for it to stabilize but it cranked. I also ran the truck and had to rev it a few times to burn out the old fuel in the system for it to eventually stay at idle perfectly.. I think its in need of a cleaning and oil change. Transmission fluid as well.

Anyone recommend replacing fuel injectors ? Or do i just leave those ?.

Thanks for the help all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.