Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in dire need of some assistance...I have taken my truck to several different mechanics and am still having the same issue. Let me give you a breakdown of what happens, and then i will let you know what parts I have replaced so far.

I bought this truck from an old lady that had not driven it in 2 years. Perfect interior, couple dinks on the outside. It is a 1990 with only 95,000 miles on it.

In many cases, when I initially start my car it will start and then die right away. My check oil light flashes during this as well. If I manually push the pedal while starting the car it has a 100% start rate. Without pressing the pedal, I would say I am looking at about a 50% chance the car starts on its on and stays on.

Once the car gets moving its great. It flawlessly runs on the highway. City driving is a completely different story. Sometimes, as I approach a stop light or I am coming up on a turn I need to make, mid turn, my check oil light flashes and my oil pressure gauge plummets to as low as it can be and then the car straight shuts off. I have to immediately guide the vehicle off the road, which is stiff and difficult, and definitely dangerous. Then I turn the car off, and then back on, and the car starts right back up like nothing happened. Sometimes this happens 2-3 times during a 30 min drive session. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

So mechanic number 1 did the following:

Replaced radiator
new alternator plus a regulator
changed spark plugs

This did not fix it.

Mechanic 2

Changed the power module
Changed my water pump
Rewired spark plugs claiming first mechanic messed it up
Checked fuel injector
Checked fuel filter - claims it is good

I have put seafoam into the gas line to try and clear up any clogs.

He now claims that it is the computer that is the problem. However he says that the computer is in the front left of the hood where as another mechanic pulled a computer out from behind the glove box. Can anyone confirm placement of the computer?

This has been an absolute pain and we have not gotten any closer to figuring it out. I did some research myself and I read that in some cases, when your oil pressure drops the car shuts itself off to protect the engine....is this possible?

If anyone has any knowledge on how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does it have a Mass Air Flow sensor or Idle Air Control? Could be something to look at.

Check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know it's low (relatively speaking) mileage, but what about the oil pump screen? I had a 97 that did similar things, oil pressure bottoming out when cold and periodically dropping while driving. Lots more miles but similar situation all the same. I replaced the oil pump and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
What engine/trans etc??

Welcome to DT. ... How is the idle? ... Is it idling too slow(slower than normal) when oil light comes on? ... If so, might check/clean "idle speed control" (ISC) actuator.

... Major ish vacuum leak? ... With a good light, watch both? injectors spray pattern at idle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've had similar issues. mine would run fine for a while, then just die when slowing down to a stop. or if i was sitting at a red light for too long. first check the cheap stuff. check for vacuum leaks. next, try the idle control motor O'Reilly -- MasterPro Ignition - Idle Speed Control Motor Part Number: 2ISC1. hope that helps

·
Registered
675 Posts
I know it's low (relatively speaking) mileage, but what about the oil pump screen? I had a 97 that did similar things, oil pressure bottoming out when cold and periodically dropping while driving. Lots more miles but similar situation all the same. I replaced the oil pump and it's been fine since.
+1

This sounds like a safety shutdown due to low oil pressure. If you can connect an oil pressure gauge (not the innacurate one in the dash) and a fuel pressure gauge when you cold start the engine or when it shuts down, I would bet you would see low oil pressure followed by no fuel pressure. Could be plugged pickup screen or could be weak oil pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sitting long time. This ethanol added to gas makes it go bad quick. Did you drain tank then fill and put HEET in it to help get rid of any moisture?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.