1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI 5.7

I put a 180F thermostat and a new radiator about 3 Years ago
I also installed a new condenser fan around the same time
for some reason I was waiting in line and I was there for about 20 min waiting and my temp gauge kept going up it didn't get hot but it went to the straight line in the direct middle of the gauge. now this concerns me because due to the 180F thermostat my gauge runs always about half 1/2 inch away from the middle line on the temp gauge.

Any ideas of what I can check? Im at a loss here please help

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
That makes perfect sense actually. Since you are not moving, the radiator isn't really getting the air flow. Your lower thermostat is already making the coolant warmer. Since you're at idle.. no flow, the fluid is getting warmer and warmer. You probably reached the limit of the cooling system for the temps that may have been outside...

I bet you when started driving, it went back to where you normally see it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it did cool down .. and It was about 92F outside that day .. so is that normal in those dodges? when im in my wifes car we have idled for about an hour with no change in temp

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
What you can do is take a hose and pretty much take the hose tip right up to the radiator. Move it all around and watch the ground and see if your radiator has some debris in it. When I did this to mine once, the water was almost muddy.

This might help with air flow even at no speed.

92 isn't too hot, but If you do a lot of heavy towing in hot temp and your oil temp is above 230-240F, then 180F thermostat makes sense. Otherwise 195F thermostat is better, especially when most your trips are less than 20-25 miles and not moving.

I don't have this issue that you speak of here in Arizona.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it crossed my mind that maybe a clogged catalytic converter could be the cause but im not sure if that can even cause that ... also a friend of mine said it was a weak condenser fan .. but idk im out of ideas

EDIT: and I use 10w30 Oil if that matters

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.