DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has this make and model and for the last month when he goes to start his vehicle it won't turn over. The damn truck decides when it feels like it to start. It is a FOB key not a normal key.I have read numerous compliant"s that its defective piece of lemon and that the vehicle can stop all of a sudden while driving it. The dealerships deny anything wrong with the ignition and basically don't know shit about it or they are in the denial mode from the factory. I AM STATING HERE LEGALLY TO DODGE DEALERSHIP AND MAKER'S THAT IF MY SON OR ANY PASSENGER IN THIS VEHICLE ENDS UP HAVING AN ACCIDENT AND IS HARMED IN ANY WAY OR DIES BECAUSE OF THIS FAULTY IGNITION SWITCH DODGE WILL BE IN TURNED SUED. HE STILL OWES $18,000.00 ON THIS TRUCK AND HAVING TROUBLE GETTING FROM POINT A TO B AND NO ONE WILL ACKNOWLEDGE THERE IS AN ISSUE EXCEPT PEOPLE WHO HAVE BOUGHT THIS TRUCK. DEALERSHIPS ARE PASSING THE PUCK REGARDING THIS ISSUE. NOTE TO DODGE: YOU WILL BE HELD LIABLE IN THE EVENT OF ANY HARM OR DEATH OF ANYONE IN THIS VEHICLE IF IT IS THE FAULT OF THE IGNITION SWITCH.
SIGNED D. A. Congi
January 18, 2015
Box 215
Millet ,Alberta
T0C 1Z0
780-314-8138

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just for kicks next time it fails to start, apply the brakes, move the shifter from park to Neutral and try to start it. I have seen quite a few trans valve bodies causing this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is a trans valve body................and shouldn't Dodge be fixing this right away weather the warranty is up or not? It's their defect.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If any other consumer is having this issue please post here.
What is a trans valve body................and shouldn't Dodge be fixing this right away weather the warranty is up or not? It's their defect.
Debra Ann Congi,

I'm sorry to hear about your starting concern. How many times have you experienced the issue?

In regards to intermittent concerns, it is important to note any tendencies that are observed at the time. Has it occurred with a warm or cold start? The more details you are able to provide the dealer, the better, particularly if it is intermittent and your dealer has not been able to reproduce the concern. There can be any number of causes for a no-start, replicating the issue will help to pinpoint the direct cause.

I would recommend visiting your servicing Dodge dealer and speaking with the Service Manager. Keep us posted if you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issues!

I have the same problem with my 2012 Ram Laramie. This is not an unknown problem; if you do an internet search for RAM intermittent starting problem you will find lots of threads discussing it, and how dealers don't know how to fix it because it won't happen once you get the car to the dealer. There's even a video of the problem out there somewhere, and yes - as mentioned above, the car seems to start just fine if you put the car in neutral then in park again. I'd like to know when Dodge/RAM will admit this is a problem and fix it? My base warranty just ran out two months ago, and I'm not thrilled it's on my dime to fix this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since I cannot post links yet as a new member, there is a thread that discusses this issue in more detail, including the workaround and the link to the video I mentioned. To find it, search on Google with the phrase:

2012 RAM Would Not Start?

The forum you are looking for is the ram forum dot com, and the relevant information is on page two of the three page thread. if you cannot find it, message me and I will send you a link directly.

---Lee

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2012 Ram Laramie. This is not an unknown problem; if you do an internet search for RAM intermittent starting problem you will find lots of threads discussing it, and how dealers don't know how to fix it because it won't happen once you get the car to the dealer. There's even a video of the problem out there somewhere, and yes - as mentioned above, the car seems to start just fine if you put the car in neutral then in park again. I'd like to know when Dodge/RAM will admit this is a problem and fix it? My base warranty just ran out two months ago, and I'm not thrilled it's on my dime to fix this issue.
Leeatmg,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you have this concern.

Do you notice any specific conditions when it occurs? Do you hear a click or does your vehicle crank when it happens?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leeatmg,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you have this concern.

Do you notice any specific conditions when it occurs? Do you hear a click or does your vehicle crank when it happens?
Just a click - no attempt to turn over. All the power comes on otherwise (dash, radio, blowers, etc.) so it does not seem to have a battery issue. It happens whether using remote start or manual start.

The shift thing (shifting from P to N then back to P) has always fixed it up to this point; so does letting the car sit for a minute or so, after removing the key and locking the doors (though that does not always work.) It is slowly happening more often; the first year of ownership, it only happened once; second year, 2-3 times. Just passed 3 years, and it happened twice last week.

The only time it has never happened is after a cold start, but that could simply be coincidence or it could be related. All of the times it has happened have been after it had been driven a bit (for example, after spending 30 mins in a grocery store.) Has not happened after sitting on the driveway overnight, for example, but again I stress that it could simply be a coincidence.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I've seen a number of threads where the wrong battery, too small, was installed during during assembly of the vehicle. There have also been a few threads where the starter has been bad. Just FYI...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just a click - no attempt to turn over. All the power comes on otherwise (dash, radio, blowers, etc.) so it does not seem to have a battery issue. It happens whether using remote start or manual start.

The shift thing (shifting from P to N then back to P) has always fixed it up to this point; so does letting the car sit for a minute or so, after removing the key and locking the doors (though that does not always work.) It is slowly happening more often; the first year of ownership, it only happened once; second year, 2-3 times. Just passed 3 years, and it happened twice last week.

The only time it has never happened is after a cold start, but that could simply be coincidence or it could be related. All of the times it has happened have been after it had been driven a bit (for example, after spending 30 mins in a grocery store.) Has not happened after sitting on the driveway overnight, for example, but again I stress that it could simply be a coincidence.
Hi leeatmg,

Can you please PM me your VIN? I’d like to look into this further for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son has this make and model and for the last month when he goes to start his vehicle it won't turn over. The damn truck decides when it feels like it to start. It is a FOB key not a normal key.I have read numerous compliant"s that its defective piece of lemon and that the vehicle can stop all of a sudden while driving it. The dealerships deny anything wrong with the ignition and basically don't know shit about it or they are in the denial mode from the factory. I AM STATING HERE LEGALLY TO DODGE DEALERSHIP AND MAKER'S THAT IF MY SON OR ANY PASSENGER IN THIS VEHICLE ENDS UP HAVING AN ACCIDENT AND IS HARMED IN ANY WAY OR DIES BECAUSE OF THIS FAULTY IGNITION SWITCH DODGE WILL BE IN TURNED SUED. HE STILL OWES $18,000.00 ON THIS TRUCK AND HAVING TROUBLE GETTING FROM POINT A TO B AND NO ONE WILL ACKNOWLEDGE THERE IS AN ISSUE EXCEPT PEOPLE WHO HAVE BOUGHT THIS TRUCK. DEALERSHIPS ARE PASSING THE PUCK REGARDING THIS ISSUE. NOTE TO DODGE: YOU WILL BE HELD LIABLE IN THE EVENT OF ANY HARM OR DEATH OF ANYONE IN THIS VEHICLE IF IT IS THE FAULT OF THE IGNITION SWITCH.
SIGNED D. A. Congi
January 18, 2015
Box 215
Millet ,Alberta
T0C 1Z0
780-314-8138
Same issues. 2012 Dodge Ram 1500. Has issues of not starting reliably, may take 2-3 tries and may start, run for 2 seconds and die. May start and run with no issues. However, on the highway it may hit a slight bump and DIE. Throw it into neutral and trying to start again to avoid any accidents is becoming quite tedious and dangerous. Very costly to replace and so many other vehicles are having same issues that have been recalled. Makes NO SENSE why this hasn't been a recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue with my 2012. Replaced starter 3 times, battery twice. Trans valve body twice
Window switch stopped working
Haven’t even had the truck 2 years

1 - 14 of 14 Posts